Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
artistic...
7,621 Posts
how did it end like that???
as for a replacement... if $$$ is no problme, he could ask carl strong to build an ibis clone since strong made the last mojos....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ow! Bummer. If your buddy wants to get a branch from Ibis family tree, he should look into a Castellano Fango. As you probably know, John Castellano was the designer at Ibis, and owns his more creative designs. He has been producing the Ibis Ripley under the name Castellano Fango for a couple of years now. I have a 2001 Ripley (the only year they were made) that is fantastic. It probably has 10,000 miles on it, and hopefully will last for 10,000 more!

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Uhhh, I think your friend needs a bigger frame

Like about 4" bigger.

That said, I hope he wasnt on it when that happened. If so I'm sure he is in worse shape than that frame.

·
If you have to ask...
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's how it happened.

He was JRA when all of a sudden the bike mysteriously plowed into a huge chunk of concrete. Just like that, and the next thing you know his bike was steering funny. He stopped to inspect it, and sure enough it was broken.

Or something like that.

Well, the plowing into concrete part happened. It was just at the end of the ride, less than an 1/8 mile from his car.

I agree, he does run a LOT of seatpost, and plenty of stem, too. The seatpost thing has to do mainly with some knee problems- he finds things are a lot happier with maximum leg extension. He's also from the days of long stems- does anyone remember that the suspension-corrected version of the Bonty Race frames had shorter top tubes, to put more weight on the front wheel?

He's well aware of Strong's connection, and Castellano's as well. In fact, he's e-mailed Castellano asking for a pity discount on a Rip- I mean Fango. I myself had a Ripley, and loved it quite a bit. I really wouldn't mind getting another one, to go with my Ibis jersey...

miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.