Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the season for my kid is over. He had lots of fun racing and making new friends. The first race he did they cancelled his second lap due to lightening. He was bummed out he didn't get to do a second lap. The second race he got his butt kicked. It was one of the tougher venues with lots of tough hill climbing. He needs to learn to push a little harder gear climbing. The third race for the freshman was cancelled due to heavy down poor of rain and strong wind. His last race this weekend was really good till he hit a long steep hill with switch backs.

Overall he had fun and claims he can't wait till next season. He's excited for it already. It was fun to watch him race. When they would practice a few times I would take my own bike and ride on my own. Its a awesome sight to see all the kids at the races and all the bikes too. It's funny to see what parents spent on some of the top end bikes the kids to race. Nothing wrong with that. If I had the money he would have something to ride like that too.

It's awesome to see the nica league grow. A sport where they kids, both boys and girls race and far as I can tell theres no beef with the genders.

What a great sport and experience for the kids. But they still have practice for another month.

·
getting back into it...
210 Posts
@Old school dude, what state?

I don't have kids old enough to race but due to work (our company is a league sponsor) I'll be neck deep in NorCal NICA early next year (it's a Spring league). Right now we're busy getting teams to work on their kits and I think they start pre-season in a couple weeks and kick things off for real in December, with races starting in mid-Feb.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Old school dude, what state?

I don't have kids old enough to race but due to work (our company is a league sponsor) I'll be neck deep in NorCal NICA early next year (it's a Spring league). Right now we're busy getting teams to work on their kits and I think they start pre-season in a couple weeks and kick things off for real in December, with races starting in mid-Feb.
Utah. The state championships are at the end of the month. But my kid didn't make it. It was still a fun season of watching him. Something different for once for kid stuff. I watched my daughter dance for 15 years and watching the races are much more interesting lol. But it does get boring sitting sitting around all day till he races.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We just wrapped up the inaugural season in Ohio. All my kids are graduated, I am just coaching because I love riding and figured it is a pretty cool program for the kids. We had a blast. None of the kids on my team had raced MTB before. All but one of the kids had never raced a bike, and two of the kids had never been in a race of any kind (running, swimming, nothing). So they all had a great experience, got to ride trails in other parts of the state, made a bunch of new friends. It turned out better than I hoped when I first started the team.

·
getting back into it...
210 Posts
Utah State Championships should be awesome next weekend. Here's a video from 2019 from our company Hyperthreads:

A bit of self-promo in the second half but some good scenery and action shots in the first half.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We just had our first preseason ride here in NorCal. Granite Bay was jumping with 3 teams out this morning.

All our kiddos are pretty stoked to be getting back after it, especially now that we’ll have real mass start races instead of COVID time trial format like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Utah State Championships should be awesome next weekend. Here's a video from 2019 from our company Hyperthreads:

A bit of self-promo in the second half but some good scenery and action shots in the first half.

Still a fun video to watch even if its a bit self promo lol. It took me all race season to find a shirt I liked in my size from Hyperthreads at one of the on site shops at the races. We helped support Hyperthreads buying our share of stuff at the races, shirts, socks, and a jersey for the kid for a Xmas present.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are the trail changes that got made there as bad as they say?
YES. I ate **** out there several times last summer. They broke down berms and made corners off-camber and “paved” with decomposed granite. Total slipshow. A little better now with some wear and rain but some corners are still pretty sketchy.

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,190 Posts
NorCal NICA coach here… we do our first pre-season ride in two weeks. I’m excited to get back out there with our team. Also, just cause the season is over doesn’t mean you have to stop riding. When the spring season ended earlier this year, my son and I kept riding and racing. I believe he got in 11 races this year and I did 6, with Sea Otter being the final two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
NorCal NICA coach here… we do our first pre-season ride in two weeks. I’m excited to get back out there with our team. Also, just cause the season is over doesn’t mean you have to stop riding. When the spring season ended earlier this year, my son and I kept riding and racing. I believe he got in 11 races this year and I did 6, with Sea Otter being the final two.

What team are you with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Good luck with the new season. Wishing I had more time to ride lately myself. Been busy working both jobs 6 days a week to do anything else. But my boy still gets out and rides to the bike park from time to time when it warm days. Need to get him some winter riding gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.