Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victim of it's success? Scheduling and competition with the National Championship being a week before? Politics? Too many endurance events to choose from? Cost?

I always figured this was the classic that would survive, but apparently not (well, it's not dead yet).

Here's the latest communication from the promotor:
*VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ* 17th Annual (and possibly last) 24 Hours of Moab - Communique #4

I don't know enough of what goes on behind the scenes in the endurance world, I just know this is a fun race to look forward to in the fall. I hope I don't have to say I rode in the last one!

Any insights?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just saw that email today. A lot of us kind of saw it coming a few years ago when he was trying to take all the profits from Moab and create multiple races for the National Points Series. The smaller races were just money pits and Moab was funding it. Oh well, at least he's cut it back to only 2 races and hopefully Moab can weather the storm.

Also, has anyone noticed the port-o-potty crew equipment and trucks?? I've been doing the race since '99 and they are making BANK off the 24 hour of Moab people; their trucks get nicer and nicer every year.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I hope this is not the end of the Moab event. There has been a decline in the numbers attending this event for the last few years, but it sounds like this year's event has really dropped off.

I am sure this has everything to do with the fact that the National Championships were held in Colorado Springs this weekend, drawing a HUGE number of CO Front Range people away from the Moab event in addition to the people that are competing for the Championship.

I think part of the problem over the last few years with Moab is the costs for most participants. Almost everyone has to travel some distance to get to this race, probably taking at least 1 day, but more likely at least 2 days off of work (as opposed to the Front Range racers probably not having to miss any work days to race in Colo. Springs). Also, it seems like you get hosed for money everytime you turn around in Moab. The race is expensive enough, but then you have to pay a LOT for camping in a place where you have to clear all the thistles out to set up your camp, pay for firewood, etc. Man, even if the racers could camp for free it would be great.

That being said, Laird puts on a good event and I'd hate to see it go.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've done 24 HOM three times and enjoyed myself each time. It is a well-run event and a great experience. Thrice was plenty for me though, and since I've been there and done that it was time to move on to other venues.

If numbers are dropping off, maybe that is an indication that the race has run it's course. 18 years is a pretty good run. Or maybe Laird should just take a few years off and come back when interest might be stronger.

I certainly am not going to send in a donation or register a "phantom team". A race is not a charity. That is just silly. My race budget is too small to be buying registrations when I am not racing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I certainly am not going to send in a donation or register a "phantom team". A race is not a charity. That is just silly. My race budget is too small to be buying registrations when I am not racing.
When I got that e-mail from Granny Gear, I almost laughed out loud. Maybe the race should fold if this is how Laird and GG run things. I think one year's numbers shouldn't decide the fate of this particular race. I think a lot of things aligned to keep people from attending this year, namely the 24 HoCOS the previous weekend. I think GG needs to push the issue with USA Cycling and get the National Championships back in Moab, locked up for a few years maybe and the numbers will return. I don't think most of the teams that race Moab (or any 24 hour race) care much about this, but it is a snowball effect. Get a few "big names" to throw their hats in the ring and pretty soon a lot of people want to get into the race (look at Leadville in the last 5 years as an example).

·
Registered
80 Posts
After seeing what Granny Gear did to the 24/9 in Wausau, WI I don't have much sympathy. They bought out the race, ran for two years (at a pricey race fee), and then dropped the race that had been going on for years prior. Luckily someone else picked up the race, renamed it to the Wausau24, and charged less for entry. I went to that race and it was a blast. And the money for the entry might actually go into the trails and the local club instead someones greedy pocket. I say let Granny Gear drown like it did in WI and wait for someone who cares more putting together a great mountain bike race because they are passionate about mountain biking, NOT because they are trying to make a profit.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
After seeing what Granny Gear did to the 24/9 in Wausau, WI I don't have much sympathy. They bought out the race, ran for two years (at a pricey race fee), and then dropped the race that had been going on for years prior. Luckily someone else picked up the race, renamed it to the Wausau24, and charged less for entry. I went to that race and it was a blast. And the money for the entry might actually go into the trails and the local club instead someones greedy pocket. I say let Granny Gear drown like it did in WI and wait for someone who cares more putting together a great mountain bike race because they are passionate about mountain biking, NOT because they are trying to make a profit.
Why is wanting to make a profit so wrong and "greedy?" How much is your tine worth?

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Why is wanting to make a profit so wrong and "greedy?" How much is your tine worth?
as mentioned above, a race is not a charity...get a bunch of friends together and "race" for free if that's the case. a grassroots org. will likely take up the reins if the normal race folds.

but...i agree, nothing wrong with making a profit where there is one to be made, so i can see both sides.

charity in the MTB world = IMBA (or your local MTB club) - not race promotion. period.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why is wanting to make a profit so wrong and "greedy?" How much is your time worth?
Making a little bit of a profit to compensate the time you spent is one thing, but when you come in and buy out a race that has been successful for ten years, raise the fees so much a lot the people who raced yearly stopped showing up, and then drop the event only after two years because it wasn't "profitable" it makes all seem too corporate for me. I guess I'm a little bitter after seeing a great race nearly ruined by Granny Gears actions. But you're right, there is nothing wrong with a little profit and putting together a 24 hour race is I'm sure a lot of work. Just funny the same race was put on this year successfully at a margin of the price once out of the hands of Granny Gear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The e-mail from Granny Gear was sad in a way and in other ways it wasn't a surprise. Looks like the race has reached the end of its natural life. That's okay. It happens. Asking people to ram a feed tube down it's throat in the guise of "phantom entries" seems crass and cruel. It's just postponing the inevitable. Maybe we should celebrate the great run the 24HOM had instead of mourning. New races in new venues are a good thing IMHO.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I say let Granny Gear drown like it did in WI and wait for someone who cares more putting together a great mountain bike race because they are passionate about mountain biking, NOT because they are trying to make a profit.
GG and Laird are race promoters and are in it for the money. Promoters should make money at their races. They put a lot of effort into it and they deserve to earn their keep.

That being said, the race fees should be what the market will bear and in this case, maybe they are not.

In addition, making your race viable only if you have 350 teams might just be unrealistic. Look at what the 24 HoCOS had last weekend. If there were 100 teams/solo entrants I'd be surprised. Maybe scale back and make it viable for 200 teams. Hell, that's what raced in Moab when I first did the race in 1997.

·
Registered
20 Posts
blaming the 24hour nationals for low turn out means someone has blinders on. that race had @250 total racers, Most of whom were from the front range, very few who would have driven the extra distance to race 24HOM.

If i own a restaurant, and 15 years ago i had lines out the door, if i didn't change anything but the price (higher) and other restaurants were doing better dishes and marketing, how can i be surprised that there are only a few customers showing up. But, wait!!!!! I'll email all my former customers and ask them to send donations.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,670 Posts
I've raced 24 Hours of Moab (and many other 24 hour races). I had fun. I think it'll be a bummer if it goes away, but not a huge deal. Frankly, I've gravitated to races with smaller numbers, a more grassroots feel and lower cost over the years. For those reasons, this excerpt from Laird's note really stood out for me:

"I intend to move forward with the 18th Annual 24 Hours of Moab but a field size much under 350 teams is not financially sustainable without a significant increase in entry fees."

I've done a lot of GG races (including Canaan way back in '93) and always thought the race organization was good. I hope things work out for the race, but I sure as heck won't be signing up a phantom team or making a donation...

·
Always a good day to ride
120 Posts
That is a real shame. 24 HOM has been such a great event for years.

It looks like the 24 COS event last weekend did not have a big turn out and I doubt that is the "cause" of the poor turn out for Moab. There are SO MANY different endurance events to choose from all over the country. I am sure that many racers choose to do events closer to home or that have more reasonable entry fees.

I am not sure that threatening to cancel future events or asking for donations is the way to build an event up.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's sad to see but their prices were already ridiculous. I don't know how they get away with charging that much. I know it goes to help fund some other events but have those events fund themselves. Logistically for 99% it's waaaaaay too expensive of a race to attend. It's one that I'd always like to try but the $$$ keeps me away from it. There's other races out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.