Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
My understanding isa that it runs a rear hub, but a front brake/brake adapter.
From Salsa:

http://salsacycles.com/components/enabler_fork/

Enabler Fork
The Enabler is our 'enables you to do anything' 29'er fork. Use it to set up your 29'er as a 'Snow Bike Lite' or for backcountry bikepacking adventures. It uses a 135mm-spaced standard 29'er rear wheel and has massive tire clearance: enough for a Surly Endomorph or Larry tire if you choose. It has back-of-the-leg bosses for water bottle cages, as well as braze-on's for racks, fenders, or low riders. The fork features our forward-facing stainless steel fork dropouts.

•Salsa Classico CroMoly
•1-1/8" threadless steerer (350mm)
•Clearance for 80mm rims and Surly Endomorph and Larry tires
•Uses rear 135mm disc hub
•ISO disc tabs, disc only - uses front disc brake and adapters
•468mm axle to crown
•45mm rake - replaces a standard suspension corrected 29'er fork
•Stainless steel, forward facing dropouts
•Back-of-fork-leg water bottle mounts (in triple boss configuration for high/low placement)
•Double eyelet dropout for racks and fenders
•Fender bosses at the crown
•Low-rider mid-blades bosses
•Black

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Mine was out by 2mm when installed. I haven't checked to see if it's the hub (Revolver) or the fork, but it was easily fixed by using a 2mm washer on the inside of the axle to space the wheel out further.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gingerdawg said:
With a front brake?
The only difference between a IS front and rear brake/bracket is the radial distance from the axle.

The lateral distance from dropout face to rotor mount is different f/r, but that is not applicable to the Salsa fork as it uses rear hub.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Velobike said:
Mine was out by 2mm when installed. I haven't checked to see if it's the hub (Revolver) or the fork, but it was easily fixed by using a 2mm washer on the inside of the axle to space the wheel out further.
I am a little confused.
Without the washer was the caliper too close to the rotor or too far away?
i.e. Did you need more space between the rotor and dropout or less space?

·
Fat!Drunk!Slow!
1,453 Posts
Velobike said:
Wouldn't this space the ISO tab out by 2mm from the wheel?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
green mt. boy said:
Enabler is 135.
I can use a SS hub (Revolver brand).
I can use my front brake w/adapter for stopping.
If I am incorrect please say so.
Same setup as mine.

It's 2mm out.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
shiggy said:
You still have not clarified 2mm which way.
Ah, sorry.

Because the washer goes on the inside of the dropout it means the disk is moved 2mm away from the fork.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So if i'm reading this correctly, I cannot run a 135mm spaced front hub (paul, speedway, surly, etc) in the enabler? I have to run a rear hub with front disc brake? Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
smoen81 said:
So if i'm reading this correctly, I cannot run a 135mm spaced front hub (paul, speedway, surly, etc) in the enabler? I have to run a rear hub with front disc brake? Thanks for the clarification.
Correct. To run a 135 front hub on an Enabler, you need to file/machine the caliper adapter down about 5mm (to line the caliper up with the rotor) and source some 0.5 mm wall tubing with a 9 mm ID to press over the axle ends.
Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Toni Lund said:
Standard Mukluk has Enabler fork and Surly 135 mm front hub. My forthcoming 907 project will also have the same. So Enabler IS also front hub compatible.
No, the Mukluk comes standard with a Surly rear single speed hub in the front. Surly doesn't make a 135 mm front hub. The Enabler is NOT front hub compatible without the modifications I mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.