Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a frame that I converted into a SS. Unfortunately, the cable stops are in the 8 o'clock position and frequently snags my tights or hits my leg. I've searched the forum but was unable to find anything that would help. I'm thinking that I can put a long nylon bolt with the head about the same diameter as the stop secured by a nylon washer on the other side (or just glued into the stop).
Unfortunately, filing the stops off is not an option as I may run this bike geared in the future...
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I hate those things!

On a quick fix...wrap the whole darn thing with electrical tape and wait for weather that you don't need to wear tights. \edit/ Sorry, I re-read the post. My suggestion was not good since you intend to re-use the cable stops....

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dude...

unit said:
On a quick fix...wrap the whole darn thing with electrical tape and wait for weather that you don't need to wear tights. \edit/ Sorry, I re-read the post. My suggestion was not good since you intend to re-use the cable stops....
I've thought about the whole electrical tape solution and will go that route if the cable stop snags a chunk of my thigh... I'm going to take a caliper to the cable stop now and go to the fastener department at Home Depot to see if I can find a nylon nut with a head that would fit flush with the back of the stop (or a little bigger and I would file it down to fit flush). To hold the nut, I was going to drip some candle wax into the cable stop and screw the nut into it (that way I can easily remove the wax if I decide to go gearie)...

·
Registered
242 Posts
As long as you're going to Home Depot, you might want to pick up a tube of clear bathroom caulk first. You can squeeze some around the area that snags you and contour the caulk around into a smooth lump. You can peel off the dried caulk if you decide to go back to gears in the future.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drevil said:
That makes too much sense. :p

G, put half-smoked cigarettes in all those empty slots.
Yo R,
When are we going to see you out here? There is even a Flip restaurant here now!
I moved the brake housing today and since the housing isn't flush with the cable stops, I was still snagging... Fun stuff...

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
FlatFender said:
PVD Did you even read the OP?
I very much doubt it…

I was going to suggest moving the whole cable up to the outside cable stop, but I assume your running v brakes, which makes things a little difficult I guess.

Apart from your idea with a nylon nut, the only thing I can think of is to find a rubber o-ring of the right thickness that you could cut off a small section to poke in the hole to fill it. You could achieve the same result with a bit of foam if you have any packaging lying around too. ;)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
FlatFender said:
PVD
Did you even read the op?
yes.

cable stops are not needed for running gears, except for the last stop before the front derailure. what you do is run continous housing and tape or zip tie it to the frame. this is better than using stops since there is far less mud contamination into the housing.

most people that ride in lots of mud and rain like we have in norcal have already made the transition to continous housing.

example:

This bike has no cable stops other than the one left just above the front derailure. This is in case I decide to go 12 speed in the future.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
Even better................

Traktor said:
Try wrapping electrical tape around your leg where the tights snag on the guide, If its a big area, rip a few pages out of a phone book and tape them on there.
................use a big section cut from a plastic milk carton.

--Sparty

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Temporary solution

I didn't want to cut the cable stops on this bike. Plus, it's Ti so I'm not sure if my regular hacksaw and file would suffice. So, on the way to Home Depot, I saw a Crafts Shop so I picked myself up some "eyes" that were 10mm in diameter which should fit with a little filing... It glued it to the stops using some Shoe Goo... Hopefully it holds... If so, it was $.75 well spent... Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.