1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Most of these require a monthly service plan. There's a better option. Look up 'personal locator beacon'. They run about $250, require no monthly plan, and are good for years before battery needs to be replaced. One time use only, but that's insignificant if you need to use it.

ResQLink are the ones I speak of.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the locator beacons do not allow texting which would be good on long multi day trips to give updates so not ideal for me-like to let the family know where I am and for sure to alert them if I am say a day behind--note the yearly plan for this new device is $100 so not bad for a year at least for me.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have and use a Garmin InReach as I do a lot of alpine riding and bikepacking where there is no cell service as well as Backcountry elk hunting and Backcountry snowboarding. There are pros and cons to most every device, but it’s a solid piece of mind and allows your close friends and family to get in touch with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.