Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. A couple of us are doing a ride tomorrow. Starting in Emerald at 8:30 we will ride mostly singletrack and a bit of road out to the UB xc course for a lap - then back.
This ride is 'under development' We soon hope to return via the western side of Cardinia Res. which will make it bigger, so get in early to avoid disapointment.
The trails out are mainly roadside. Rolling hills, nothing too hard*. I'm predicting about 40km total.
The xc course is one of the most tech around IMO, kinda like Beechworth with natural rock gardens and 'chutes' etc. If you havn't been there it's really worth a look.
There is parking at Emerald between the library and footy ground (Worrel Res. IIRC)
If you were to come from Monbulk, go straight through the roundabout into the carpark.
Can't find Melways...

Be there!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Take care of your knees Mate. SS is OK if your not planning to be still riding when you are 50. I spent many years time trialling ... riding single gears. Riding fixed gears is fcuked. But I am slow learner, it took me years of getting it wrong, to now appreciate how wrong I was.

When I saw you dab twice last week (on the same corner?), what hurts the most? ... your ligaments or your knee cartilage? SS guys talk about riding like they invented doing it to a hero level. SS is actually older than Old School Mate.

You're just a young rider, Mate. Call back in 20 years and tell me about how good riding SS was. SS guys wear their knees out far too quickly when not on the flat. SS was originally for riding to work when workers couldn't afford better bikes, not for pumping up hills on dirt.

When I saw you dab twice last week ... the writing is on the wall.

Warren.

PS, If you think that I'm being rude or being a prick, so be it. I could be doing you a concerned favour. For many years I'd ridden single speed ... and it isn't a good long term look, not with today's technology.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right right, gotcha sorry. I thought maybe you had multiple windows open and posted in the wrong area. As for that corner where I dabbed, it was a very tight uphill switchback, not flat like it looked in the vid. I dabbed because it was very tight, not so much the steepness. 29ers don't handle in the tight stuff, right?:D
I've never had knee pain from SS'ing specifically. (Sometimes the usual post-ride muscle soreness)
Actually that was a tough 45km at St A. and I had zero pain after the ride. There's really a lot of rest time on a SS. I could go into a whole spiel about how it's easier on the SS rah-rah but it's been done to death. I've read lots of threads here on MTBR debating this issue and I've come to the conclusion that one is kind of genetically pre-disposed to having knee problems regardless of their riding habits - as well as knowing when to draw the line and managing injuries.
I know office workers who have worn out knees and SSers with zero issues who are in their 50's+ *Shrugs*

Thanks for your concern though and believe me I listen to my body and know when to back off.
Time will tell and what is that saying "Better to wear out than rust out."

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
My lungs will wear out long before my knees haha but I completely see the concern too. I think some are built for it and some are not. You are both right but the real key is as soon as you experience pain, stop. I can tell you that from the sore knee I'm nursing bashing out a fun run. Enjoy ya ride hud and thanks for the heads up wassa.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wild Wassa said:
Take care...
Good points - though Hud is not the Hero type. Seems in most cases like this where the truth seems obvious - perhaps only with experience such as yours - there are plenty of alternative theories around to choose from if you don't want to believe it. Like "standing is ok - it's riding single gears when sitting that kills your knees..."

As for genetic disposition? Perhaps ultimately, but my take is that more important are conditioning, technique and adequate recovery. I ride a singlespeed too - so yeah, bit hypocritical of me really, and my pedaling technique gets a bit rough at times.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: The knees and SSing

Previous bike was a Giant Trance, loved it! Greatest distance I ever road in a day was approx. 30km. Next day the knees were sore and would see me off the bike for a week or so. Asked my GP what I could do about it and his reply was 'stop riding'! Went to a sports physio for a few months and tried different things without success.
I took a 96er SS for a test ride and did 60km on it on the first test day, it was love at first ride. Next day, no sore knees. I bought that bike and its the bike that has reinvigorated my passion for riding, again!
In part, I put the lack of sore knees down to the amount of time spent out of the saddle, and with the technical nature of the tracks we ride, it is a lot of time off the saddle. Did a 65km ride on the Warburton trail some months ago which was all comlpeted on the saddle and the next days I felt the knees had suffered. Have had injuries which have kept me off the bike for a few weeks and my knees start to ach again. Ride bike, Knees good again.
This is my experience and won't necaserally work out the same for the next person. I've no desire to go back to a geared bike!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Carver96er said:
This is my experience and won't necaserally work out the same for the next person. I've no desire to go back to a geared bike!
And I just put gears back on my SS because it didn't work for me. With the bike SS I was slower, tired out faster, and it aggravated my ITB. Horses for courses, and I'm a spinner not a masher.....

·
I like to ride my bicycle
284 Posts
I ride both geared and singlespeed. I love singlespeeding because is so much fun and a great challenge. I have no trouble whatsoever with my knees (yet). A lot of the time I find riding the SS is easier on me than the geared bike. It just works for me.

Just on the theory "standing is ok - it's riding single gears when sitting that kills your knees...", Carver and I have swapped bikes a bit around Silvan and we both find that on my 29er SS it's much easier to remain seated than on Carver's 96er SS. On the other hand, the 96er is a much better descender than mine. Mine also has 180mm cranks which makes a surprising difference on low speed climbing. So there are a lot of relevant factors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.