Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running an Al. SS frame w/EBB. I have had a Voodoo Dambala SS. Both have had the same component specs. I have had a lot of issues w/EBB and the Voodoo sliders. I am currently trying to decide b/w a Bander and an EMD. I am so disgruntled with SS frame chain tensioners, that I will more than likely (a must w/EMD) run a ETR/B. I would consider a Jabber, but still sliding d/o's. I have a FS 29er that I thrash, however, I will be "trail" riding this bike (not just XC). I am trying to decide if the weight penalty of the steel is worth the increase in ride compliance. Also, IS the Jabber's tensioner solid for HIGH torque climbs. Do chain tugs help? I do change cogs often (20T trail, 16-18T XC). I know the 32x20 is the magic gear for the EMD. Lastly, I don't know squat about offset etc. I will be running my trusty WB 110 mm fork with either of these. Yes, my budget is $500. Thanks for any helpful info.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The thread is a little confusing, "EMD vs Bandersnatch" both geared bikes, why wouldn't you go for a used SIR9 or ONE9 (probably in your budget used). There are plenty of frames that are single speed specific and not steel if you are worried about weight.

With a nice bolt on rear wheel you shouldn't have any problems with the rear wheel slipping on a Jabber or any other track style drop outs. My rear wheel has never slipped on my jabber. I've run both bolt on rear wheel and a quick release with chain tugs (though you have to find a longer quick release than most).

If you don't like chain tensioners on geared bikes I would suggest going for a single speed specific frame, unless you plan on going to gears again. (I may be reading your post incorrectly, but you stated you were "disgruntled with Chain tensioners"). My personal experience, is that trackends or an EBB are a better option for chain tensioning than a geared frame with some ad on tensioner.

Also, the Vassago frames are set up around an 80mm fork, and I don't think they would recommend a 110mm fork on their frames. I don't think you should be concerned about a 2lb frame penalty if you plan on riding aggressively with a 110mm fork, but looking for a beefy frame that is designed around that type of fork.

Personally If I was buying a frame for more aggressive riding than just XC and a 110mm fork I wouldn't get either a Jabberwocky or an EMD. But I don't ride anything other than XC, so others may have better suggestions for frame options.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize. I know my thread is odd. I love riding SS, but hate dealing with EBB/Sliding d/o's. I do think a Yess ETR/B is a better/easier set-up over either an EBB or Sliders. I have had both and had issues with both. If I can run a QR with a Jabber and chain tugs, I would probably do it. I don't know if the steel frame is worth the weight penalty in improved ride characteristics (because I have never had the chance to ride both frames back to back). I really don't think running a 110 is a big deal since most measurements are taken "unsagged". With me on the bike, with proper sag, I think the geo will be good for trail riding. Deep down I really want the Jabber, but am afraid of chain issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.