Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked on the Niner web page and didnt see anything. But what is the recommended lenght for a seat post on the EMD size L. Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Thomson Masterpiece set back post lenght 350. So I should be okay..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Niner web site doesn't say anything about seat post lenght on the download pdf page. It does list lenghts for the other fames but not the EMD.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Thomson Masterpiece set back post lenght 350. So I should be okay..
I maxed out a 350 carbon post on my MCR. The carbon post eventual got damaged, due to over tightening. Replaced it with a 400 Thomson and was able to raise the saddle slightly to a better fit.

If you have a beater seat post. You might want to test fit with it first. Niner generally recommends 400 length on thier HT's. Would suck trying to return a scratched Masterpiece for being to short.

$200 post on a $400 frame is a little odd.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a good deal on a master piece. But when it comes and its not correct I will send it bsck for an elite.

·
Registered
244 Posts
seatpost

The EMD is sized the same as the air9 so you can go by that for lenght I would think. The one thing I would watch out for is most 29er hardtails slope the top tubs steeper for more standover room & say to use a 400 or 410 mm seatpost. I`am 5'9" on a med size EMD & I have a 400mm post and have alot of post showing,a350 mm would be past the max.And no the frame isn`t to small for me ,it has a 23.7 or .8 toptub & most people will tell ya toptub lenght is the way to size up a frame anyway.hope thats some help for you:) KP

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
The Niner web site doesn't say anything about seat post lenght on the download pdf page. It does list lenghts for the other fames but not the EMD.
The version of the pdf I downloaded on July 19th DID list this information for the E.M.D. Here is all of the info for the E.M.D 9, cut and pasted from my electronic copy of the NINER ENCYCLOPEDIA: TECH SPECIFICATIONS, SETUP GUIDE & WARRANTY INFO pdf (page 18).
SPECIFICATIONS & COMPATIBILITY:
• 73mm BB width
• 31.6mm seatpost size, 400mm recommended
• 34.9mm seat collar size (not included)
• 34.9mm front derailleur, low mount, top pull
• standard 1.125" external bearing headset (not included).
Cane Creek standard description: IS42/28.6|IS52/40
• Replaceable derailleur hanger
• Size Small has one inner triangle bottle mount and one under the
downtube bottle mount
• Size Medium, Large and XL have two inner triangle bottle mounts
• 135mm QR rear spacing
• Stainless steel laser cut head badge
• Can fit up to a 2.4" tire (tire size varies by brand, some tires may not fit)
• Compatible with 2x systems from SRAM and SHIMANO, however certain
gear sizes will not fit.
• SRAM recommended 2x front chainring configs: 26/39 or lower
• SHIMANO recommended 2x front chainring configs: 28/40
Maybe the pdf was changed when the new hydroformed frames were announced?

P.S. I just re-downloaded the pdf and the file name indicates it was updated on Aug. 12. The 400mm recommendation is still on that version (page 19).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The version of the pdf I downloaded on July 19th DID list this information for the E.M.D. Here is all of the info for the E.M.D 9, cut and pasted from my electronic copy of the NINER ENCYCLOPEDIA: TECH SPECIFICATIONS, SETUP GUIDE & WARRANTY INFO pdf (page 18).

Maye the pdf was changed when the new hydroformed frames were announced?

P.S. I just re-downloaded the pdf and the file name indicates it was updated on Aug. 12. The 400mm recommendation is still on that version.[/QBUOTE]

Thanks for this info. Guess its gonna go back!! And I will get the Elite.

·
gbnemba.org
263 Posts
I have a related question. Just bought a 2011 EMD and am running a 300mm Easton EA70 seat post. To size up correctly I have it near the minimum insert line marked on the post, it's about .25" into the frame (for a total of about 3.25" of post into the frame, post comes to below the top tube/seat tube junction)

Am I risking my frame by not having more seat post inside or is it cool?

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a related question. Just bought a 2011 EMD and am running a 300mm Easton EA70 seat post. To size up correctly I have it near the minimum insert line marked on the post, it's about .25" into the frame (for a total of about 3.25" of post into the frame, post comes to below the top tube/seat tube junction)

Am I risking my frame by not having more seat post inside or is it cool?
I emailed Niner and they recommend nothing less than 400mm. So on that note I sent back my master piece and I have an elite on the way. Dont want to risk it.

·
gbnemba.org
263 Posts
And now, following the suggestion earlier in the thread, I've emailed niner. For my situation, they say the following:

"The two considerations are that the post needs to extend below the seat tube top tube junction and meet the manufacturers minimum insert recommendation, which it sounds like you have done. I wouldn't worry about where you are at with that post."

That said, I'll probably go longer if I have to replace it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
And now, following the suggestion earlier in the thread, I've emailed niner. For my situation, they say the following:

"The two considerations are that the post needs to extend below the seat tube top tube junction and meet the manufacturers minimum insert recommendation, which it sounds like you have done. I wouldn't worry about where you are at with that post."

That said, I'll probably go longer if I have to replace it.
I`am not trying to be a D#$k but if your using a 300mm post & not maxing it out on a 29er or really any sloping toptube mtbike I might question if you have the right size frame:skep: How`s your standover height with the toptube? should have 2"-4" mid point. Most complete mtbikes 26er come with 350mm & 29er with the bigger wheels ,set the bike up a little higher & slope the toptube a little more for better clearance that way most recommend a 400-410mm post( my 26er med size titus RacerXs seattube is 18.25" CtoT with a 23.8 ETT lenght ,my med size EMD has a 16.5" seattube CtoT & about the same ETT of around 23.8") thats why a 26er works most times with a 350mm & 29ers with 400mm if the frame is sized right. Then again I know everyone is different ,you may have short legs & an longer reach.:) So I guess if when ya stand over your bike & your not hitting the boys on the toptube & the bike handles good for ya you`ll be good:thumbsup: if it were me I think would replace the post with a 350mm to be safer,EMD s are great bikes:D

·
gbnemba.org
263 Posts
Ah, the wonderful part about asking for opinions on the Internet is that you will get them. :)

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam but long arms. Long ago learned that top tube length is key for comfort and that standover height matters only when you are standing over the bike. When I have to bail I never go straight down or if I do I lean the bike.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Ah, the wonderful part about asking for opinions on the Internet is that you will get them. :)

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam but long arms. Long ago learned that top tube length is key for comfort and that standover height matters only when you are standing over the bike. When I have to bail I never go straight down or if I do I lean the bike.
Not trying to come off as a pecker either. But, are you sure you have the right size frame?Also, are you sure you have your seat at an optimal height? I'm 5'10" with the same 32" inseem and lanky arms similar to you. I ride a med. MCR with 10.75" of expossed post and 90mm stem.

Seeing how your frame only has one water bottle mount on the downtube. I'm assumming its a small. At a 32' inseem. One would need 12-13" of expossed post for optimal saddle heigth on a small. Thats a bit excessive. Leading one to maybe move up too a medium. Your stem looks to be in the 75-90mm length. You must really be riding in an upright position.

Ever have any knee or lower back pain?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.