Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "biggest HT drop to flat" thread reminded me of my first drop attempt about a year ago. I was riding an XC trail that went near a construction site. At the site, there was a ~3ft drop at the bottom of a small hill. I went for it. I climbed up to the top of the hill, launched down it thinking I would just hold on & ride right off the ledge. I panicked, braked a little, didn't move my body back, and flew over the bars when my front wheel planted. PAIN! Bloody hands, elbows and knees. I was back on the bike later that day. That day taught me early on how much technique matters, and that I needed to learn how to shift my weight, float with terrain, and not just tense up and hold on.

Any similar dumb noob stories?

·
Praise Bob
489 Posts
Who doesnt have these stories?

Even beyond noob stories, I still continue to have some embarassing moments. How about owning a boutique bike and wrecking on a beginner trail?

When I first got my Ellsworth Moment I built it up with CrankBros Candy pedals instead of my old shimano 540's. I didnt trim my shoes enough for proper cleat clearance (hey they worked in my driveway!). On my first day out I got bogged down on a small uphill with lots of sugar sand. Went to dab a foot at the top and couldnt get out. Ended up tumbling over backwards while my left foot was securely clipped in. This is all after years of riding shimano clipless pedals and thousands of miles on my old beat up Trek. To add insult to injury I scratched the top tube.

·
The plough
662 Posts
I see your 3 foot and raise you with a 2 foot endo.

I was practicing drops to flat from a 2 foot raised pavement section down to the road, and it was very easy. I was in full control. I could determine the front vs rear wheel landing bias at will and even achieve simultaneous landing - both wheels at the same time - pretty much whenever I chose to.

So I go to my local trail that terminates at a 2 foot transition to the road. The road is slightly uphill, but hey I am good, I can do 2 ft drops no problem. So I ride up to the transition, get overconfident, not shift my weight back, do not take off, but just decide to gently roll off the edge onto the road with minimal front wheel lifting.

....splat....

I was wearing full body armor so the only damage was where my elbow found the road through the gap between the forearm and the elbow sections, and my right shoulder as I think I broke most of my fall with the right hand/arm thus the upwards stress to the shoulder was considerable. I rode off without a problem and was fully recovered within a week.

More than injuries, I was REALLY annoyed and angry with myself for getting so cocky and even disrespectful to the thing I was attempting to not even do it properly.

V.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just recently my clipless pedals have been causing me problems. Well, to be precise, the pedals are fine, it's a user error. For some reason I've unclipped one foot, and then tried to put the other foot on the ground...

Mighty embarrassing when there's a bunch of people watching you slow down, unclip and then fall over. The worst bit is, I've done it twice in the last week :(

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I admit that last summer at the end of a ride I attempted a short steep drop into
a rock garden that is at the trail head. It had been a great ride and I had
traversed the drop many, many times. This day there was a cop on a MTB
doing a wheel stand at the edge of the garden. I come blasting into the thing
and next thing I know I am on the ground and in pain. I had broken my thumb.

Worst part was that I was ridding someone elses new bike as we had swapped
rides so I could test his bike. I was considering buying one as well.

Man I still feel bad about that one. Sorry Ed............

·
Banned
7,904 Posts
Trying to keep up with some hot doggers that had gotten ahead of me on an Epic day ride about 2.5 hours into the ride on a 2 liter Camelback filled with CytoMax. First time on cytomax, camelback runs out and I'm running into "The Bonk" We are in huge granite boulder country, and the trail disappears over a 10 foot high granite boulder at about a 45 degree angle, with a sand pit for the trail at the bottom. Not being mentally sharp, I start the descent, where I failed to notice that the last 1.5 foot of the descent is straight vertical, and my weight is not far enough back to "wheelie" rear tire first into the deep sugar sand. Over the Bars, and clipped in, into a huge sage brush bush, with a huge "thud" landing on my chest. I was so pumped up with adrenaline from the run, that it wasn't until after dinner, all the beer wearing off, and I'm trying to roll over to the right in my sleeping bag at 2 am in the morning that I realize that something is definitely wrong and cracked in my rib cage. The Bionicon Edison was unscathed. Tough bike when 230 pounds plows on it. :thumbsup: Only a 7 week pain reminder every night in bed that I messed up some ribs badly on that one.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Riding down the road on my mountain bike and came to a traffic light. I was turning left so I went to the turning lane. Cars going past on left side. Mini van pulls up next to me to go straight.
I didn't even realize I was track standing there till I noticed the kid in the mini van pointing/looking at me. I realize he's amused by the fact I'm not touching the ground.
Well... I start getting cocky and begin rocking the bike around.. well... I lose balance but manage to get my left foot off my pedal... I didn't fall over but nut smack the top tube. That kid was prolly laughing all the way home..

That always makes me laugh.. because when I'm riding and not thinking about it I can track stand for a decent amount of time.. if I start thinking about it I mess up.. Funny how that works...

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Lots of clipless stories, I see...

Here's mine.

Tough day this was...

Just came out of a beginners track, slowed at the top of a downhill section.. Ground was covered in large rocks. Went to unclip on my right side and what do you know... couldn't get out. (I hadn't realised the float was all messed up on that one side) fell over and cut up my leg pretty bad.

Picked myself up, went through the downhill... came to a BMX track, got to the very last jump, put it into granny to get up the last hill (on sandy gravel) lost traction, front wheel went sideways... tried to unclip again (of course on the right side) couldn't... fell over and slided down the hill on my side... In the procress scratching up my nice new XT derailleur, not to mention how nice it feels to slide down a sand & grit surface with a cut up leg (Sandpaper??)

Had a look around to make sure no one else was witnessing all this... Phew, no one.

Fast forward an hour, riding back home with my beat up leg... Riding through a rather rocky section... slowed down to try and correct the steering as I was getting close to going into a ditch... Tried to unclip, couldn't and fell over again onto my cut up leg...

Now I've got scars to commemorate that day.

And yes, I fixed the float...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
fell on my head

back in '88 purchased my first full suspension bike that I really couldn't afford at the time. It's like that everytime. I took the bike home and proudly went on my first ride. about 1 block away from home i decided to take the side walk, for whatever reason i still don't know. I pulled into a driveway at an angle. the tires still had the silicone preservative covering it. the tire slipped and over I went, and yes there was a full grip of on lookers driving by. small scratch to the rear triangle. me ok ego not ok. I still do not hit driveways on an angle to this day!

The last one was i was riding my bike around the neighborhood looking for and empty lot to fly my new rc airplane! As i was diligently scanning the vacant lot across the street, I failed to see an empty tree planter dug out of the side walk. it was basically a 2 ft hole. flyling w and face plant. my helmet saved my face but the edge of the helmet cut a 2 inch gouge me above the eyebrow and slightly dislocated my left shoulder. I was starting a new job the next day! puffy eye and a large bandage above my eye. and minimal use of my left arm. they told me later that they thought I was in a fight. :blush:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tried to show off

I was with some freinds who were taking me around San Fran. I decided to show them how a could do a front wheelie and spin the bike 180 degrees. We were on top of a hill near some store.

I wrecked into a coke machine while my (borrowed) bike took a life of its own and somehow went down a steep hill for about 15 - 25 yards or so be for it crashed into some stairs or something.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Embarrassing moment

I have another San Francisco urban assault story.

Riding up Haight in the big ring trying to make a light to catchup to my buddy after he lost me at the last light. TORQUIN the cranks trying to make it (light was already yellow) snapped the chain and did that akward momentum shift fall over the bars into the middle of the intersection at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon. Completely stopped traffic all directions as I slid across the intersection into the curb on the other side and broke the fork brace when I hit the curb. Everybody asked if I was OK. I quickly sprung up, jumped on the bike, grabbed the bars (which were now twisted at a 45 degree angle from straight) yelled IM FINE (to everyone within earshot that saw me fall.) ran and did the cyclocross mountup with enough momentum to get two blocks up, turned a corner and dropped on the sidewalk to asses the damage to me and the bike. I can still hear the screeching tires and remember the abject look of panic in the eyes of the driver of the bronco that stopped in the middle of the intersection as I ate S#^%!!!

·
ZEN RIDER!
944 Posts
Another show off

Growing up one of my friends lived next to a golf course & over the years we made trails going down from the tee boxes to the sand traps & would launch our bmx & mt bikes off and over onto the greens. Some of the sand traps had a good 8-12 foot lip & spanned 20 feet. Using the speed from the tee box, which basically went straight down, you would launch into the air and get some good hang time, but you also had to clear the sand trap.

Well one day a few of the girls tagged along & guys being guys we had to show off, so we go to the hole we nicknamed the big boy & each of us take a turn. I'm on my Schwin High Sierra which I had just recently puchased after riding a bmx bike since i was a kid.
I rip down the tee box & launch off the sand trap & halfway across decide it would be a good idea to try a small tail whip on my first jump attempt on my new bike.
Not a good idea. I ended up slowing myself down enough so I didn't make it across the sand trap & hooked my rear tire on the lip of the trap & green bringing my bike to an abrupt halt.
I ended up nutting myself on the seat and getting the wind knocked out me as I skidded across the green. My buddies thought it was hysterical as I rolled around groining.

A few years later my best bud & I are trying to get another friend into mt biking so we take him out for a ride. Its summer time & there are a few large standing puddles we usually try to avoid, but on this day we think it would be fun to go mudding. I make some smart arse comment about this is how its done and go race off down the path
My front tire disappears & I go flying over the handlebars and head plant into the puddle. When I stand up my enitre head & helmet is covered in this thick black disgusting muck that smells to high hell & back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
These are the reasons I ride flat clipless peadals.
I have had tonnes of these moments. There was one time I was doing a jump, foot fell off pedal managed to do the jump 1 ft but when I landed... My foot fell got stuck under my back wheel. Still had my light stand on so I know have a scar on my chin. I got lots of bobos Also trying to look cool doing an endo, guess what happened...

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
BareBum...

I rode into the city with a couple of mates to get some spare parts for one of my bikes. It was a saturday, and there was some sort of parade on.

We started fooling around on the steps of this building, doing jumps off the top to the pavement .. etc..

Anyways, I was wearing my lycra riding shorts.

I cased on one of the jumps and slid down the rather abrasive steps on my arse, ripping the back of the lycra shorts wide open.

I had to ride all the way back home through the parade with my scratched and bloody arse hanging out of my shorts... :eek:

My two mates almost had to be given oxygen .... from laughing at me so much.

I think that I got more attention than the girls on the parade floats as I rode through the streets... :eekster:

R.

·
Registered
320 Posts
GrampBredo said:
I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
Man was that fun to work out :madman:
Thats too much:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
having a very bad day but this kept me laughin!!! and my first post too! thanks man!!!:D

I didn't lube my disc but just thought my mech disc brake would work better if i put lube in the part that the wire moves to make the thing squeeze. ofcource the lube runs all around the place so it didn't quite work as I thought...

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.