Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a small Ano blue Ellsworth Truth a few months ago with XTR, XT, Thompson, Easton Ones, and Reba parts. Great ride! I tried a few beginner races this year with good results....2 fourth finishes and one 2nd place finish. I decided to lighten the bike up a bit before I move up to Sport next spring. I started at 26lbs. With some reading in this forum and help from Sage Cycles I built up the below parts.

With the following below parts, I am at 21.8.

EC90 Post and straight bar (105gms and 180gms)
Magura Marta SL brakes 160s
Magura Durin 100 SL (2.89lbs)
FSA Kforce light
Crank Bros 4ti pedals (a few gms below advertised weight)
Stans ZTR race wheel set (1200gms on the button)
Maxxis Crossmarks (470gms each)
tubeless conversion
Syntace stem (100gms on the button)

I never thought the weight loss would make that big of difference! Thanks to Rick at Sage Cycles in San Antonio/Helotes Texas for the help!! Great shop to hang out at. With some weight loss and better training this winter......I am looking forward to this spring.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
How big is the frame? 16"

I like how you matched the easton EC90 seatpost w/ a EC90 handlebar. I should've done that too. I also like the Syntace F99 stem you got. Great choice!

What you need is some silver nokons or silver alligator i-links. That would make your bike ultra bling!

Good Luck with next year's racing season. Iin the sport and lower classes, the most difficult part I find is not finishing top 10, but making it to the races. Too often, classes or work, or family commitments means no show for the race, especially if you have to drive 3+ hours to get to the next venue...

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! The frame is a 2004 16" Truth. It is my first Full Sus bike. I love the ride with the new fork. I was thinking of changing out the rear shock....but the bike seems to be balanced right now....so, we will see.

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cranked said:
Great weight and a nice solid build you have there. I'd be very happy with that ride as it seems to be very well rounded. Good luck with next years racing.
I see your in the Granite State.....I am from Merrimack but living in San Antonio Tx.

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dinoadventures said:
Sick build. I like this a lot. From here on in, it gets REALLY spendy.
You are so right.......

I noticed the small parts have big price tags!

Anyone have some pointers on where to go from here?

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
very very nice, for next changes I suggest maybe chain rings, saddle (if you think you could live with a little less padding), mabe lighter qr skewers I hear good things about the kcnc, or u.s.e. spin stix each around 55 grams, and I-links for some bling, I'm guessing your cassette is xtr, so your probably covered there. It looks like you have all the major bases covered very nicely.

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flystagg said:
very very nice, for next changes I suggest maybe chain rings, saddle (if you think you could live with a little less padding), mabe lighter qr skewers I hear good things about the kcnc, or u.s.e. spin stix each around 55 grams, and I-links for some bling, I'm guessing your cassette is xtr, so your probably covered there. It looks like you have all the major bases covered very nicely.
I still have a XT cassette....not sure if I want XTR or some exotic cassette. I was looking at some extralite chain rings and a new seat. Still a bit of research to do before I buy.

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
DEFINITELY do the cassette and rings. Find a lighter saddle in a width that suits you also. You can also go to a different shock, since that one on there doesn't look like it's in line, spec wise, with the rest of the build. That stuff would all get you into the mid to high 19lb range.
There's also those KMC chains and the Scrub Components rotors that you can throw on there.
Tires-wise, for most of the stuff here in TX the Continental Race King 2.2 Supersonic's really rock. The weight should be about the same as the Crossmarks but the traction and control (and, dare i say, comfort) are vastly improved.

How are you liking those wheels, by the way? Any issues with the stiffness?

·
I'm a cutter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dinoadventures said:
How are you liking those wheels, by the way? Any issues with the stiffness?
I love the wheels.....very light! The wheel set seems to be stiff enough for 135lb rider =)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have you weighed the saddle? it does look quite big, that could be an area to save weight, and being high up it will lower the centre of gravity by choosing something lighter.

The rear shock is the AVA float right? where do you set the volume adjustment on the shock?
If you have it set for maximum volume, perhaps look at putting on a dedicated high volume rear shock, like a monarch or an rp23 with the high volume sleeve, to save a bit of weight there.

Have you looked into doing some bolt tuning? perhaps ti bolts for the frame and linkage. if you do all of them it adds up to quite a bit of weight.

And perhaps some bolt on skewers?

otherwise the parts build is awesome, if you look at going much lighter, as you said it will get expensive, but also going to lighter c/rings and cassette could mean reduced long-term durability, particularly compared to the steel rings on the xt cassette.

Looking really good!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
The bike is looking good. Like the others have mentioned getting a lighter seat will help, but finding a comfortable lighter seat would be hard. I'm saying that from my point of view and it could be expensive until you find one you like unless you have a good relationship with your lbs so you could test some saddles.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Rod said:
The bike is looking good. Like the others have mentioned getting a lighter seat will help, but finding a comfortable lighter seat would be hard. I'm saying that from my point of view and it could be expensive until you find one you like unless you have a good relationship with your lbs so you could test some saddles.
Saw this a while back. While not an inclusive option - it sure is better than buying everything involved.

Saddle Demo. I like the idea though, makes a good bit of sense if you're picky about fit.

JmZ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.