Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying a medium frame sight unseen and im 5'11' inches, 155 lbs should I go with a medium or a large?

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
wxc300 said:
Im thinking about buying a medium frame sight unseen and im 5'11' inches, 155 lbs should I go with a medium or a large?
I would say a Large but I'm not completely sure....Did you try going to the Ellsworth website for a size chart? Good luck.........CF.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
You really need to know what effective top tube length you are most comfortable with. Changing stem and handlebars, won't mask a poorly fit bike. No matter how good the deal is, it ain't worth riding a bike that doesn't fit properly. Good luck.

·
VeloDad3
40 Posts
Evolve Fit

I'm 5'9" and riding a medium, probably could have gone with a small. I was trying to get the same fit that I had on my FIsher X-Cal, top tube 23.75, medium. The Evolve small has a 23.50 top tube and the medium has a 23.92 top tube. Had to go with an 80mm stem, a little shorter than I wanted, if I had chosen the small frame then a 100mm or 110mm stem would have worked.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a large

I'm 5'11" and I just bought a large Evolve a couple months ago. Getting used to the high handlebar, probably going to cut down the steer tube on the fork a bit to drop the bars down.

But I think a medium would be too small unless you're comfortable with a smaller bike. My previous bike (still have it actually) is a Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX and that was also a large.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 6'2 and my large is a bit too cramped. Is there anybody out ther who wants to swap their XL Evolve frame for my Large Evolve frame (2008 black anodized)?

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
BlueMountain said:
Large- they seem to run small.
They run small in the seat tube, but the small frame actually runs large in ETT length. At 23.5", the small Evolve is actually .25 inches LONGER than a medium Sultan. Actually, the Evolve runs longer than the Sultan in every nominal size. The medium Evolve was only .25" longer then a small when I bought it, which I thought was a bit strange. They have made the medium a bit longer but still only .42" difference. I'm 5' 10" with a 34" inseam, which means I'm short in the torso. I ride a small with a 90 mm. stem, an inch of spacers and a whole lot of seat post showing. I could fit a medium with a 80 mm. stem. I'd say consider the length of what you have been riding and pick the frame closest to that (assuming that bike was a good fit). I would bet that would be the medium.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, all over the map here

I'm going to be no help here, but I am 6'2" and have a large and it's perfect. I just have to think a large might be a little too big for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im 6 foot, have a large & was prefessionally measured & fitted. Im using a layback post & 110mm stem too. Id be surprised if you didnt want large.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 5 ' 7", obviously went for the small. Good thing I got one, It's the only stock left here in Manila.

At 5 ' 11, i think you're better sized with Medium

·
Registered
160 Posts
i'm 6'1' with a large Evolve with a 100 stem and a straight seat post i felt pretty stretched, i switched to a 90 stem and it feels just right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts