Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little birdie suggested i stop by Galyons (flatirons) after work. It was raining, so what the hell.

Bike clearance stuff is 50% off lowest marked price. There were a couple Ellsworth bikes that they've had for a while (truth & id I think, i'm not sure) with clearance prices hanging from them... Don't know if they're 50% off, but if I needed a bike and had some cash...
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
After reading the Ellsworth board, i'm not sure that sounds like such a good idea. Plus i'd rather spend my money at Larry's and get a turner, those make me drool more than most elsworths (except i really like the specialist, damn nice looking bike there).
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Turner??

EricTheRed said:
After reading the Ellsworth board, i'm not sure that sounds like such a good idea. Plus i'd rather spend my money at Larry's and get a turner, those make me drool more than most elsworths (except i really like the specialist, damn nice looking bike there).
What about one of those sweet Ventana X5's or a maybe nice 6" Chamuco that Larry has lying around the shop :D
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Speaking of Galyans

Debaser said:
A little birdie suggested i stop by Galyons (flatirons) after work. It was raining, so what the hell.

Bike clearance stuff is 50% off lowest marked price. There were a couple Ellsworth bikes that they've had for a while (truth & id I think, i'm not sure) with clearance prices hanging from them... Don't know if they're 50% off, but if I needed a bike and had some cash...
A friend of mine who just started riding recently stopped in Galyans and bought one of the Northface (Iron Horse) FS rides for $1000 bucks because the guy that worked their told him it was mismarked but he'd sell it to him anyway. It was tagged with a $2200 price tag and the component spec was printed on the bike tag. My friend not knowing anything about bikes thought he got the deal of a century. He brought the bike over for me to check out and needless to say he got a $1000 bike for a $1000 bucks. The tag said it had all XT stuff, a manitou swinger rear shock, Fox vanilla fork, etc. NOT!!! He took it back and they actually ended up giving him the $2200 bike for a $1000 when it was all said and done. I am sure the prices were totally inflated to start with though.

The skinny of the story is that if you play your cards right, maybe they will let one of those Ellsworths go for 50% off.
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't get me wrong: I don't want to imply that someone should run out and buy a frame (much less an Ellsworth) from the evil big box store... I'd much prefer a Turner or Ventana too. But when the big guy is losing big money to get something out the door. This stuff was already discounted, and then 50% off...
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Debaser said:
don't get me wrong: I don't want to imply that someone should run out and buy a frame (much less an Ellsworth) from the evil big box store... I'd much prefer a Turner or Ventana too. But when the big guy is losing big money to get something out the door. This stuff was already discounted, and then 50% off...
It hurts the big guys more if no one buys anything from them. Though i will say i have two pairs of zip off pants (ya know the pant-short combo thing) that i bought from galyans that have lasted me well. they are my bad weather/skatepark/hiking pants and so far $/mile ratio has been very low.

*edit you -> no one buys...
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
2farfwd said:
What about one of those sweet Ventana X5's or a maybe nice 6" Chamuco that Larry has lying around the shop :D
Well, yah. the 5 spot is my lust of the month, it will probably change soon. But i don't have a problem lusting after several bikes at the same time.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
The last time I was in Galyan's, the ID they had on display was pretty used looking...dirty tires, scrapes on the pedals, cranks and deraillure. Seems like the staff is demo'ing the bikes then selling them at "discounted" prices. They had some frames there too that were pretty much priced higher than what I paid for mine...haven't been in there in a while though.

Debaser said:
A little birdie suggested i stop by Galyons (flatirons) after work. It was raining, so what the hell.

Bike clearance stuff is 50% off lowest marked price. There were a couple Ellsworth bikes that they've had for a while (truth & id I think, i'm not sure) with clearance prices hanging from them... Don't know if they're 50% off, but if I needed a bike and had some cash...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top