Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use elliptical trainers? Can't ride much during the winter because of rain, work etc. just wondering if they're worth much other than another place to hang dirty clothes.
Sticking the bike on a trainer or rollers just doesn't do it for me.

:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like them. They get your heart rate up pretty fast and they're not as boring as a treadmill or stationary bike.
They're easy on your joints too.

·
Murag Kanding!!!
187 Posts
Great machines....

I love ellipticals! They're great crosstraining equipment. I use them for some variation in my workout regimen. Non-impact, works on the upper body too if you use the ones that has moving sticks. I usually program the cross country, hill climb, or the random intervals. Sometimes I also use the arch trainers... pretty the same but it will elevate the angle of the machine... really cool. I simulate climbing up a mountain. Stairmaster too is one I use.Its kinda boring but I think will help develop the gluteus max muscles, useful during seated climbs on the MTB.

·
Registered
78 Posts
convert

My wife has one. Never thought I'd use it but gave it a shot. I discovered that my conditioning is better, I can ride higher gears for longer, and out of the saddle efforts are noticably better(essentially the same position as the arc trainer).

·
Registered
317 Posts
My wife and I got one and I gave it a whirl for a while, but I didn't care for it. The higher-end ones get you moving a bit more than the basic ones, but for the most part it just didn't work my like my kickboxing aerobics.. which is what I was doing at the time.. did for me. Out of all of the home things I've had, the NordicTrack was the one I liked the best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Precor EFX 546 Elliptical trainer. Outstanding machine. Auto ramp adjustment etc. Elliptical are far superior than treadmills in that they provide the same cardio workout, meaning burning roughly the same amount of calories with less impact on joints. Joint impact is an important issue if you are in the clyde category. I bought mine a few months ago to help lose weight and condition myself for riding.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
99F700 said:
Anyone use elliptical trainers? Can't ride much during the winter because of rain, work etc. just wondering if they're worth much other than another place to hang dirty clothes.

If you're bored on your bike, you'll be bored on the elliptical. It's all about motivation.

I bought my wife one a few years ago and I love it. It gives a better workout than you'ld think. I run the resistance at its highest setting and can burn 1200 kcal in an hour. I try to average 100 kcal every five minutes, which is doable with a fair bit of sweat. Get one with a variable program, it makes it a lot more fun.

If you don't like rollers/trainers, I suggest a torture dvd such as spinervals.

Drew

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
good stuff..

99F700 said:

i like um alot more then treadmills. Most commercial models have multiple courses, HRMs, and you can add resistance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
IMO - great machine

We have a treadmill and elliptical side by side. The elliptical kicks my rear faster than just about anything, but has minimal impact. I wish I could stay on it longer!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I wish I would take up cross country skiing, being inside and swaeting sucks BIG time unless it's sex. ;)

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I have one and really like it. My wife and I decided to get one about a year ago and it has seen a lot of use since then. This year we bought a treadmill for my wife to train for her races (runner) and we find ourselves alternating between the two. It keeps your indoor:mad: workouts a little more interesting.

BUt, if the weather is atleast marginal, Im riding.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
i had to work up..

sacto said:
We have a treadmill and elliptical side by side. The elliptical kicks my rear faster than just about anything, but has minimal impact. I wish I could stay on it longer!
to an hour or when the ol ladies start given me shlt...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm SLOWLY beginning to like using various cardio machines like the elliptical at the gym when the weather is crappy and/or I can't do any other type of cardio workout.

What kind of non-preprogrammed workouts are you folks doing?

I usually do like a pyramid type of workout where I'll have the resistance/steepness at X amount and do that for X amount of mins and then ramp it up a couple of notches and hit that for an equal amount of mins and then when I hit the middle of my planned workout I just go in reverse until I'm done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Use an elliptical...

along with treadmills, spin bikes, etc. It will help keep the boredom away and lets you train different muscles from various angles. It will also prevent the chance of overuse injuries you might encounter from training in the same groove all the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. I was really wanting to make sure they weren't just a gimmick. Sounds like they're a decent machine. For me they also look a lot more ineteresting than a stationary bike or a treadmill.

I'm going to go to some stores and check them out next. A couple things I've read:

1. They cheap ones may not be too good, not heavy enough, badly built etc.
makes sense, you get what you pay for.

2. Look for the longer stride length, 18 to 21 inches........

Any thoughts, I've seen them as low as $200 and plenty over $1000. I'd like not to spend over $500 if possible. Looks like the ones with the longer stride length are probably the more expensive.

thanks again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get info from a forum or review site...

...thats what I do before I buy a bike or bike part. I did the same thing when I bought an ATV for my kid. I didn't know a thing about them so I browsed the net looking for the mtbr.com version for ATV's. It worked. You might start with bodybuilding.com. There is a forum like this one that I have used before. Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you can wait...

You can probably pick up a barely used one for half price from someone whose New Year's Resolution wore off. :D

Seriously, I've been looking at adding some more equipment to my home gym and I've been checking the classifieds. You wouldn't believe the like new, hardly used, less than 6 months old equipment that is being sold for very low prices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.