Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm just getting back into biking after a three year hiatus. I was never hard core, but I want to get back into this without killing myself and then kick it up a little. I'm not sure where to start riding around here though.

Is anybody around this area that can recommend some places close by?

I've been out to Shenipsit Forest, up the road to the Fireman's tower in Somers. It seems that there are lots of trails in there, but tons of fist size rocks everywhere. I don't mind it except that it's constant. I think want some packed dirt trails with small jumps, tiny drops -- but I'm open. Anyway, is there a cool trail map that I can pick up at EMS or something? Or can someone recommend some places? Thanks.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
As far as I know there are not a lot of true beginners trails around. most of the places are covered in rocks, like Snip.

Even at the snip there are some trails which are somewhat smoother than others. If you start at Gulf road - cross the street and take your first left. Its a climb, but pretty mellow from a technical perspective. I really can't think of too many others that are truly beginner.

Gay city in Hebron is known as a beginner place, but even that is pretty technical

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

John

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you are willing to drive a little farther north, Robinson State park in Agawam Ma is just what you are looking for. There are a few trails that are on the technical side, bit about 90% of the riding is packed dirt single track with roots and the occasional small drop. It is about 5 minutes from my house and the wife and I ride there 2 to 3 times a week after work.

It is located on Rt 187 about 5 minutes from the CT/Suffield line, very easy to get to. If your interested I can give you directions to get to a good parking spot outside of the park so you don't have to pay to drive into the park.

Tim

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Are there more technical trails there too?
I ride with people from E. Granby a lot, and have family in Agawam (I actually must have drove right past it yesterday on my way from one 4th of July party to the next!), and would be interested in hearing more.

·
well mannered lout
3,174 Posts
I second Robinson as a good beginners venue.There's also an unpaved railroad bed in Vernon with some single track off of it( Talcott Notch ?) I was only there once and it wasn't really what I was looking for, but it might be a good place to get started again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in E. Windsor and ride at Robinson on a weekly basis. I just started riding this year. The park has some VERY fun trails.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
pakalolo1979 said:
Tim, thanks. I'm sure I can find the park, but definitely interested in free parking. Where's it at?
The easiest way to get there from the Windsor area would be to take RT 75 into Suffield and then take a left onto RT 168. Follow 168 and take a right onto Rt 187 into Agawam(Feeding Hills) MA. Once you cross the line into MA your 2nd light will be a 4-way intersection. There will be 2 gas stations at adjacent corners. Go straight through that light and straight though the next light (there will be a couple of small strip malls on both side of the road). Continue straight on 187, about 1 to 2 miles there will be a very small dinner on the left side of the road. It is pretty much the only business in a residential area, very easy to spot. Directly across from the dinner on the right side of the road is a small dirt parking lot . Pull in and park there. There are usually several cars there at any given time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
we also ride at a small park in Granby, Its town owned, not very busy and right off of rt 187.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Tim. I rode Robinson yesterday. Had a good times. Hills suck since I'm just starting, but I'm not worried.

There are definitely enough trails out there to get lost in for a while, but I can see how more advanced riders could get bored. Aside from steep descents around, I did not see too much technical stuff, though I only rode for 1.5 hrs.

Anything I should definitely check out? I don't need a turn by turn, but a general direction or other reference will do. After I get around a little bit and get my stamina up I'll try to hook up with you guys somewhere.

Does anybody ever ride the Granville ride with Gravity Warehouse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
pakalolo1979 said:
Thanks, Tim. I rode Robinson yesterday. Had a good times. Hills suck since I'm just starting, but I'm not worried.

There are definitely enough trails out there to get lost in for a while, but I can see how more advanced riders could get bored. Aside from steep descents around, I did not see too much technical stuff, though I only rode for 1.5 hrs.

Anything I should definitely check out? I don't need a turn by turn, but a general direction or other reference will do. After I get around a little bit and get my stamina up I'll try to hook up with you guys somewhere.

Does anybody ever ride the Granville ride with Gravity Warehouse?
Paka- There are some really nice sites to see when you get a bit farther in to the park. You'll have to hook up with us sometime, it's a pretty ride. When you get farther out there are some intense hills. Not loads of them, but enough to train yourself on :)

I haven't done the Granville ride yet, but have been thinking about it. Have you gone? If so, what did you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Granville, MA

Spokey, thanks. I've give you a holler after I ride it a couple more times. I have not ridden Granville, but this is what the Warehouse told me:

it's not so much the riders you'd need to be worried about in granville so much as the terrain.. it's pretty rugged and rocky so it does take a decent level of skill and confidence to complete the loop (before dark). that said, it's non-competetive or 'racey' so nobody gets 'dropped'.
I'm also nursing some busted ribs this week so i'm sure i'll be easing up quite a bit over previous rides.
if you feel up to it, come on along, it's always good to have new faces out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts