Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the must ride trails in Ellicottville.
we'll be visiting in a couple of weeks for a couple of days looking for fun intermediate trails.
Are there any trails that start near the Holiday Valley Resort. hoping to be able to ride right from the resort.
Does the Local bike shop have trail maps of the area?
Any info would be great.
thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
what are the must ride trails in Ellicottville.
we'll be visiting in a couple of weeks for a couple of days looking for fun intermediate trails.
Are there any trails that start near the Holiday Valley Resort. hoping to be able to ride right from the resort.
Does the Local bike shop have trail maps of the area?
Any info would be great.
thanks
WNYMBA's site is a great resource. Here's the E-ville ride info.

Map here.

You can ride uphill into the trails from the resort, but I prefer the way the trails flow from the Eagle entrance, which is only a short road ride heading south from the resort (see map).

The McCarty Hill side has the more intermediate riding.

On the Rock City side, I personally love the Pale Ale trails, but they are a bit more advanced, as is the rest of the Little Rock City stuff.

If it's hot or muddy, it's always fun to grab a swim at the beach at the hilltop snowmaking ponds and bomb down the ski hill trails at the end of a ride, and you'll be right back at the resort (there are single tracks inside the trees between the ski runs). The ponds are close to the radio tower.

·
Registered
244 Posts
thanks for the info lukey
are the trails marked?
The trails are blazed with those small plastic disc trail-markers. In a few cases, you will see random trail-name signs as well, and there are one or two map boards. The maps tend to be at the edges of the network, so you aren't likely to come across more than that first one.

In all honesty, you're best to take a printed paper map. The trails will be pretty obvious, but it's not exactly the easiest network to navigate and it can be confusing as to where you are. (The trails tend to fold back on themselves a lot.)

As you ride along, I'd recommend stopping at each intersection and getting your bearings. After the first few easy trail sections, there are a couple of easy to make wrong turns that can really change how committed the ride is in terms of distance and difficulty. Basically, the trails are laid out to send you on a pretty gnarly 50km/30mile ride, and you might want to veer back before you head down any huge valleys inside the park. You'll want to keep an eye on where each trail is taking you if you don't want to tackle the full Epic.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we would be looking for rides anywhere from 2 - 4 hrs in length.
if they're more difficult than the intermediate level that would be ok as we have a number of strong and very skilled riders in our group..

·
Registered
244 Posts
we would be looking for rides anywhere from 2 - 4 hrs in length.
if they're more difficult than the intermediate level that would be ok as we have a number of strong and very skilled riders in our group..
You're from Ontario, right? As a point of comparison, the FLT and Little Rock City (Bent Rim etc.) are similar riding to the Hilton Falls trails, with certain small sections approaching Buckwallow-ish riding. Slow, gnarly rock-crawling. Lots of hops, dynamic moves and super 3-D surfaces. The rocks are the trail, not obstacles you can roll around. I would rate them advanced for tech, intermediate for fitness.

The FLT trail is a good filter trail. It starts right at the radio tower. If that trail isn't fun for your group, you very likely won't like the Little Rock City sections further along. The riding gets progressively more gnarly as you go, so the FLT is kind of an entry point that will help you know what kind of things to expect.

While the trail is designed in one big loop, one thing worth keeping in mind is that there are lots of potential road bail outs available, so there are many ways of shortening rides or cutting sections out. There are also some connector trails that act the same way. Every 1/2 hour you'll come to a gravel-surfaced road which can be ridden back out, or used to connect across to the return loops.

As a rule, the trails closest to Eagle are the most buff and fast rolling, and the trails closest to Little Rock City are the most primal, with stuff in the middle difficulty in the middle area between.

Oh yes. There are some climbs too. :)

The entire IMBA ride is a full-day ride for fit riders. (Eg, 6+ hours pedalling with no major stopping.) For a challenge, you might want to plan to do the full loop broken over two rides?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I went to Ellicotville last week for the first time and had a blast. We took the Eagle entrance and parked at the lot at the top there. You can get a map at the Ellicotville Bike SHop. I don't know if we rode the must-ride trails but I really liked it. Long, long singletrack climb to get to the though. Once your up there its a blast. I definitely want to go back to ride the rest of the trails.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You can avoid the long Eagle trail climb by driving into Great Valley and taking Mutton Hollow Rd. to the top. Dead Dog area or park at the radio tower at the top of Holiday Valley. It is about 20 more mintes of driving but sometimes worth it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can avoid the long Eagle trail climb by driving into Great Valley and taking Mutton Hollow Rd. to the top. Dead Dog area or park at the radio tower at the top of Holiday Valley. It is about 20 more mintes of driving but sometimes worth it.
Doing that climb at the very beginning guarantees a long downhill run right at the end. :thumbsup:

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,383 Posts
My brother lives in E-ville; I'm about an hour or so east. When we ride we generally start in town, ride out to Holimont, take the FLT over to Holiday Valley, do part of the race loop, then head southwest on Porcupine to Rim and Bent Rim. At this point you are in the South center of the map.

Turn right onto Salamanca Forest Road, then left to hit 4 Rocks Trail and Little Rock City. Take the FLT North then East, picking up Anderson Blvd and Buzzard's Breath. Then keep right on Mutton Hollow Trail, which will spit you out onto Mutton Hollow Road. Turn left onto the road, then take the first right into singletrack onto Big Merlin. Keep right and this will take you out onto Dead Dog Loop (because at this point that's what you feel like).

Eventually on your way back on the Dead Dog Loop, when uphill is on your left, you will keep right onto Eagle Trail. This is about 2.5-3 miles of super buff downhill singletrack. I've run out of gears spinning 32-11 on this one. Eagle will spit you out at the top of a field above the high school. Take the driveway down, turn left onto the road and pedal back into town.

This whole thing will give you somewhere around 24-26 miles. Before you ride, stop by the Ellicottville Bike Shop on Main Street buy a map, and maybe ask Dennis for a good route. Take a red pen or something so you can map out your ride before you head out.

I like starting and ending in town because it provides and excellent warm-up and cool-down. For this ride that's exactly what the average fella needs. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,383 Posts
This sounds like a great route.
I love it. Hitting up all the super nasty tech (Rock City, Rim, Bent Rim) puts the weight-weenie training freaks and the more aggro-techy riders on par with each other. Works for my brother and me, since he does 100-mile XC races on a 29er hardtail and I rail stuff on a Remedy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
were back from our trip and had a great time in Ellicotteville.
we rode from the holiday valley resort up the hill to the reservoir at the top then while looking for the beginning of the trail met a local rider named John.He steered us towards the trail head and was our personal guide for a bit.
Turns out he comes up our way every year to do one of the 24hr races at albion hills.
next year we're hoping to show him some more of the local trails in our area and show the same great hospitality we recieved down there. Everyone we met was great and helpful. :thumbsup:
We first rode the race loop then rain trail, sidewinder,around the dead dog loop and then Big Merlin.
great trails.
What a busy weekend in town. we managed to get into the Ellicotte brewery for dinner on friday night and had some of the great home town brew.
:)

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,383 Posts
WAHOO!! Did you happen to check out the Purple Door Knob on Monroe Street? That's my sister in law's shop with all the rad socks. She and Ben (my brother) were anticipating a big sock weekend with Oktoberfest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.