Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Elixir's have lighter levers and heavier calipers than the Juicy's with a lower overall weight. Will we be seeing an Elixir Ultimate:thumbsup: that will challenge or surpass the low weight of the Juicy Ultimates?:arf:

Trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get some Elixirs or weight until an even lighter solution.

G

·
Registered
154 Posts
I say go ahead with the current one. The key weight reduction here is in the rotor. Lower rotational weight than any juicy with a G2 rotor. The power and control you get with the Elixir is well worth it. If they come out with something like an ultimate it will probably be after the next riding season.

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
I cannot remember where I read it, but there are some elixir levers that have been cast in magnesium.

My guess is later in '09 expect an even lighter mag Elixir to be out.

I am happy with my 3 Juicys and might swap out for a set of Elixirs once they are in the field for another few months.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
To clear it up:

There is a brake called the Ultimate Mag SL.

This uses a juicy ultimate lever (mag) with a custom made Elixir caliper which instead of alloy is made in magnesium. It's painted white and bolted together with titanium bolts.

However these are only available on certain Specialized 2009 bikes - Sram wont sell them.

As for anything else im not aware of there being magnesium Elixirs.

With Sram XX coming out i can be confident in saying a new magnesium Ultimate Caliper will be out.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
snowskilz said:
im going to say yes... i picked up a pair of elixir slc's that were a take off from a special ed bike. I can see these becoming the ultimates pretty soon.

Ti bolts
g69 rotors
carbon lever
the "SL" means it has aluminum backed pads instead of steel backed pads, saves somewhere around 15-20g per caliper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.