Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Keep the current BB7's

Votes: 10 23.3%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what anyone else thought... I have BB7's. I like them well enough, and I don't really have any complaints. However, I do like the sound of trying hydrolics again.

Anyway, I'm considering these:

SLX
XT
Elixir R
or Keep my BB7's

·
Banned
960 Posts
I love my bb7 but if your going to try hydros....thats a killert bang for the $$$ list that you came up with,there all very good..........slx would be my pick,I allready own them,there great,and worry free

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Just wondering what anyone else thought... I have BB7's. I like them well enough, and I don't really have any complaints. However, I do like the sound of trying hydrolics again.

Anyway, I'm considering these:

SLX
XT
Elixir R
or Keep my BB7's
If it isn't broken, why fix it? Now, if you have money to burn and you like the "sound" of trying hydraulics the Elixirs are getting rave reviews. Or you could burn some cash to "upgrade" your BB7's with lighter rotors (Windcutters), lighter levers, lighter housing (iLinks), Ti bolts and have a set up that is competitive weight wise with Juicy Ultimate brakes. :thumbsup:

BB

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BruceBrown said:
If it isn't broken, why fix it? Now, if you have money to burn and you like the "sound" of trying hydraulics the Elixirs are getting rave reviews. Or you could burn some cash to "upgrade" your BB7's with lighter rotors (Windcutters), lighter levers, lighter housing (iLinks), Ti bolts and have a set up that is competitive weight wise with Juicy Ultimate brakes. :thumbsup:

BB
Sounds good, but I need your help my my damn Ultimate levers. They rattle, and don't feel as good as my Speed Dial 7's. :rolleyes:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Sounds good, but I need your help my my damn Ultimate levers. They rattle, and don't feel as good as my Speed Dial 7's. :rolleyes:
What part is experiencing "rattle"? Is it the barrel adjuster? Do you have the barrel adjusted all the way in? The lever itself? Is your clamp bolt tightened within the required 3-4Nm? Does your housing ferrule fit snugly in the barrel adjuster? I've never used Speed Dial 7's, but I imagine they are similar to my Speed Dial Ti levers (that's an older model they don't make these days).

Avid trimmed weight on the Ultimates, yet retained all the function of the heavier/solid Speed Dial levers, plus added the bonus of the clamp. This is a weight weenie lever, but with a solid feel. On the weight weenie board from many members who have tried them all, they stack up in terms of solid feel in this order:

1. Avid Ultimates
2. Paul Love Lever
3. Extralite Ultralevers
4. KCNC

Only you can decide on which "feel" you prefer. If the lighter weight and feel is not cutting it for you and you have everything tightened up to spec, maybe it just doesn't fit your preferences. If you are having real difficulty with them, maybe you need to run your bike over to the LBS to see if they can spot some problem.

BB

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I've had bb7 and loved them, but I think Hydro are the way to go. Out of the choices I think based on what I've read XT's are the best choice if they are the current generation. I would personally consider the Elixir CR (not the R). On my own bikes, I use Avid Juicy 7's and I have 2 sets of Hayes Stroker Trails.

·
Banned
960 Posts
CupOfJava said:
I've had bb7 and loved them, but I think Hydro are the way to go. Out of the choices I think based on what I've read XT's are the best choice if they are the current generation. I would personally consider the Elixir CR (not the R). On my own bikes, I use Avid Juicy 7's and I have 2 sets of Hayes Stroker Trails.
whats your feedback on the stroker trails.....

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
29ERCAT said:
whats your feedback on the stroker trails.....
I like them as much as the Avid Juicy's. I think they look better than the Juicy's. But bleeding the Juicy's are a thousand times easier than the Hayes. I would say the Stroker has a bit more stopping power than the Juicy but both are strong as long as I keep the pads clean.

People who complain about the Stroker's being grabby don't know how to set up their brakes correctly. They are great brakes.

·
BMF
593 Posts
I just installed an Elixir CR on the front of one of my bikes yesterday. Was a breeze to install. I like the new system for removing/replacing pads. Much easier - although it does require a 2.5mm allen wrench but that's easier to carry in my pack than pliers. Bleeding is the same as the older Juicy 7/Ultimate models. Hopefully I can run in the CRs and get a feel for them. Hard to tell how they perform without having broken them in, but initial feeling is that they are solid.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kristatos said:
I just installed an Elixir CR on the front of one of my bikes yesterday. Was a breeze to install. I like the new system for removing/replacing pads. Much easier - although it does require a 2.5mm allen wrench but that's easier to carry in my pack than pliers. Bleeding is the same as the older Juicy 7/Ultimate models. Hopefully I can run in the CRs and get a feel for them. Hard to tell how they perform without having broken them in, but initial feeling is that they are solid.
Looking forward to more feedback.

Do they come with a way to easily check for pad wear?

·
BMF
593 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Do they come with a way to easily check for pad wear?
How do you check pad wear on your BB7s now? I just look at my J7s and Ultimates and see how much pad is left. Maybe you have to remove the wheel to get a good look, but I don't know any other way to do it. I have plenty of extra pads in my toolbox so I have a frame of reference for what they look like new.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kristatos said:
How do you check pad wear on your BB7s now? I just look at my J7s and Ultimates and see how much pad is left. Maybe you have to remove the wheel to get a good look, but I don't know any other way to do it. I have plenty of extra pads in my toolbox so I have a frame of reference for what they look like new.
I asked because my friend has Magura Lousie's and there is a little yellow tool he can insert between the pads. When he can't do that anymore, then it means time to replace. I always thought that was the slickest and easiest way I've ever heard of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.