Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
2ndgen said:
Which are better for XC and aggressive trail riding on a 25-29lb FS MTB?

Avid Elixir CR or Avid Juicy Ultimate?
I run the Ulitmates on my 4" travel Ventana and the Elixir's on my 6" travel turner. Both great brakes. Elixirs are stronger and less susceptable to pumping up when hot.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iheartbicycles said:
I run the Ulitmates on my 4" travel Ventana and the Elixir's on my 6" travel turner. Both great brakes. Elixirs are stronger and less susceptable to pumping up when hot.
Sounds like 1 for Elixirs so far.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm looking to install them (whichever I end up with) on a 5" travel XC/Trail MTB.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
I have CR's on my Epiphany and Juicy 7's on my Salsa. The CR's are superior in modulation, adjustabiliy, power and ease of setup. I have about 240 miles on mine thus far. No lever fade, only noisy when wet but that goes away in a few seconds and they don't feel like and on/off switch. My Juicy's have been great and durable as well but the CR gets my vote.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theextremist04 said:
which is more important, weight or power?
To me?

Power.

If one gives up power to save weight and the brakes fail,
the only thing that the "lightness" of the failing brakes will do for you
is send you to your crash a bit faster
and you'll be less fatigued when you hit whatever you hit!

:lol:

·
BMF
593 Posts
genrec said:
Bumping this up..Im now in this dileama as well......how much better stopping power we talking on the CR's over the Ultimates........I weight 150 lbs on a small heckler, will i notice either way?
You may (or may not) notice a big difference, impossible I think to tell unless you try them on your bike/trails. I would go with the CRs over Ultimates as I have both and much prefer the CRs. At the least it's much easier to change pads on the CR.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Question..I was checking AVID site..they say the Ultimates are for XC racing...the Juicy 7,5,3 is for XC. AM, FR, etc...why would the ultimate be less suitable for AM or trail riding that a Juicy seven...is it weaker lighter material and it may break easier?

·
Registered
20 Posts
thats just because they are really lightweight, and mostly XC guys are worried about shedding a few grams of weight wherever possible.

I have tried the CR's and i have the ultimates. i perfer the ultimates but thats just because of the look. i didnt really notice too much of a difference to matter, but the ultimates do come with carbon fiber blades

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
I have Ultimates on my Anthem 1 with 160mm rotors front and rear. I got rid of the stock rotors and have been using the Ashima AiRotor's. Ton's of power, lost of modulation, zero problems. Easy to install, easy to maintain. Never tried the Elixir's so no comment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.