Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've got a line on a pair of Elixir Code R's for $50, front and back, used condition, wondering as to the power and modulation of these and if they're any good,

I know they're 4 piston & greater power than elixir r's (Elixir R's are currently on my specialized epic comp 2010), hence wanting to upgrade to the code r's for more power and modulation.

Anyone know much about the code r's ?

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,440 Posts
For $50 I'd say for sure- assuming they are in working order. I didn't even know that Code R's are 4-piston brakes :) (I acquired a used set from a friend who needed longer brake lines like whatever I had on my bike at the time so we swapped them).

I run one set of them on an SS 29er along with a bunch of two-piston Shimano XTR and Elixir's of various sorts on other bikes. They all work flawlessly and I don't notice much difference with the Code R's. Some grouse about Elixir's having issues: too soft/too hard, mushy/unable to bleed properly, etc. I've never had any problems with Elixir or older Juicy 5's and 7's.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don't think there was such a thing as the Elixir Code R, but if you're referring to the Avid Code R which combined the second generation Code caliper with Elixir 5-style taperbore levers (2011 to 2017) the calipers are excellent - and still sold today combined with Guide R levers as the Guide RE.

I have these Code R calipers and hose matched to SRAM Guide levers on two bikes and they are strong, strong brakes.

With the taperbore lever they don't have the best feel, but it punches far above $50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.