Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes. I'll admit I'm a fan of Avid brakes, much to the amazement of the forum populace on MTBR. I've been very satisfied with Elixir 3s that I've had on two bikes including my present Camber. Both sets have performed well with little noise. I don't have really any complaints abut the current Elixir 3s I'm using because they are dead-silent and stop my 200lb a$$ just fine. I'm curious about upgrading to Elixir 7/9 Trail or XOs, and whether those who have upgraded have found benefit in doing so. Furthermore, I'm most interested in the pad-contact dial and whether it's a practical addition or just a weighty gimmick.

I mostly ride XC in AZ but the summers get hot (duh) and I need brakes that can perform in 110+ degree heat, as well.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Brakes are one of those things. Upgrading might get you a little performance, but ultimately, most brake upgrades are about a couple of grams, or a little adjustability. Coming from a guy with XO brakes on one bike, and BB7's on another (my wife has Elixir 1's on her bike) I can honestly say there are probably better places to spend your money than on a brake upgrade if yours still work. Wait until they're worn out to replace them. As far as heat goes, heat management on brakes is going to be about pad material and rotor size.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just stick with 'em. If it ain't broke...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
If they work and the modulation doesn't bother you, keep them.

I had Avid's on my first bike and they were way too ON/OFF for me. I like being able to brake a little bit with my XT's, rather than having to choose between skidding/locking up and not slowing at all.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,014 Posts
+1 if it ain't broke...

Some of my riding cronies are all about brake modulation so they have Magura's, Shimano XTR or other pricey ones.

I run all Avid's - Elixir CR, Elixir 5, Juicy 7 and BB-7 with no issues and stop as well as they do (maybe with a turkey warble here and there hehehe).

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Another Avid fan here, as well. As long as you can set up and maintain Avids properly they are usually problem-free. Most of the problems people experience are a combination of pad/rotor conflicts and poor maintenance, not the brake itself. Even the issues I've had with Avids in the past were due to the frame resonating/vibrating, not the brakes (a problem with Stumpy FSRs for a few years).

While I also agree with the "if it ain't broken" mentality, new parts are always fun :) I've been eyeing a set of Avid Trail 9 brakes for myself. I've installed a couple sets for customers and absolutely love the setup and feel, but haven't bought them for myself yet. Now that Sram has announced their new "Guide" trail brake, I'm also throwing that into the mix.

I'm just glad this thread isn't full of people badgering you to throw away your Elixirs and get XT...that seems to be the default response around here.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I really dig the pad contact adjustment. Helps keep the lever feel balanced throughout the wear cycle of the pads. You might find that a worthy upgrade, you might not?

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I really dig the pad contact adjustment. Helps keep the lever feel balanced throughout the wear cycle of the pads. You might find that a worthy upgrade, you might not?
I am curious about that technology somewhat, and wonder if it made a difference in braking performance.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts