Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town for a few months and while I was gone, my Wife had a LBS install a new lever that I was waiting to install until I was home on my Elixir 1's.

I rode my bike today for the first time since November, everything felt fine until I fipped my bike over because of another issue I was having. After that I lost all pressure in my lever. I came home and bled them and everything worked again. I tested it out and flipped the bike back over and it lost all pressure again, no fluid leaks of anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

Just to say it first, I intend to ditch the Avid's, but I have a kid on the way so I am rocking them until they are dead and saving the money.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I was just lucky before and didn't have that problem with these brakes for 2 years.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
You've still got air trapped in the system.
Elixir 1s can be tricky to bleed.
For a simple brake, it takes some work.
I get best results by removing the caliper from the frame for the bleed and rotating it an tapping it to get all air out.
I also find that I need to rotate the lever up and down in an effort to get air out.
I also bleed bottom to top and then push fluid back through from the top down.
Several times I've bled the brake while the caliper is on the bike and ended up with mediocre bleeds.
Make sure that that the bleed fittings-syringe or whatever you are using are completely sealed at the caliper and lever when bleeding.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You have a bubble. You need to find it.

·
Uphill? What's that
661 Posts
Believe that's pretty common for hydraulic brakes. So just don't flip the bike upside down.
That's not normal for hydraulic brakes.. Its just normal for avid brakes.a good hydraulic brake will not be affected by turning the bike in any direction.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
It's been said a couple times, but I'll say it once more. There's air in that brake. I bleed my brakes on a rotating stand - I can rotate the bike through a "full flip" with it in the stand. When I bleed, I rotate the bleed ports up, and rock the handle bars back and forth (turn them) and tap the calipers lightly with the handle of a screw driver. It's worth noting that whatever I'm doing, it must be "right" because I think I'm one of three people on these forums that has Avid brakes and has zero issues with them.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
I've gotten my Avid's rock solid by drawing a sizeable vacuum on the caliper and the lever... and tapping/shaking the bike. You'll see some small bubbles and when you tap/shake the bike, you'll see the bigger one's let loose.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I bled them for about an hour last night and had them rock solid, hit the trail today and after about an hour they lost all pressure again. I broke down and ordered some SLX M675's for the rear when I got home. My Elixir 1's up front have always been rock solid though, so I'm sticking with them.

I appreciate all the help though, I'm going to do an off bike bleed and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You said you changed the lever? I wonder if you didn't fully seat the hose back into the lever and the olive isn't fully sealing it. I would buy a new olive and do it again. $2 is cheaper than getting rid of a perfectly good brake. Or, ship it to me and i'll pay shipping. You know, for brake fluid disposal and stuff. ;)

I've got Juicy 3's and Juicy 5's and they have never lost pressure due to being turned upside down. My only issue is after 3 years my Juicy 3 lever has gotten sticky and doesn't spring back. I'm replacing it with an Elixir lever. Go figure.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,347 Posts
I fixed my Elixir 1s last week.

IMG_0760[1].jpg

IMG_0763[1].jpg

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Yeah, mine seem to have the ability to install air into that system whenever I use them, I'm about to dispose of them in comparable fashion.

What's mysterious is my front has worked flawlessly, and I lean on that harder anyway; but the rear is perpetually useless.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's how mine were, front was always awesome, rear was always slightly squishy or required frequent bleeding. I replaced just the rear with a Shimano SLX and it is awesome. When my front finally craps the bed, I will be doing the same up there. My brakes are mismatched now, but they work amazingly, and that's all I care about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts