Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Appalachian Highlander
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were, perchance, in the market for a race-worthy hardtail, what would you recommend? I am looking at the top of the line Felt, GT, Cannondale, and Rocky Mountain. Are there any others I should be looking at? Actually, I'm going to see what Aegis has to offer right now, as I love the road bike (Aro Svelte) I got from them.

I guess I'm just nostalgic for the good old days when you had to pick a good line....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would probably be looking at something with a steep discount off the MSRP to start with. A lot of these bikes go over 5k on MSRP and the numbers dont seem to add up. The Sette Phantom from Pricepoint at $2700 weighs 19.8 pounds and from the price standpoint and specs is pretty nice. I like the Stumpjumper geometry so the Stumpjumper Carbon hardtail deserves a look. A couple of other bikes that you might see usually at races are the BMC and Scott carbon hardtails Of course no one pays full price for the bikes. A lot of the sport-expert riders are able to get the bikes at about half of MSRP if they are on a team that has a bike shop partner.

·
not a paid spokesperson
39 Posts
if you don't mind the 29'er thing, the GF Superfly is freaking awesome. As a previously vehement 26' fan, when I demo'd it, it was the first 29'er I'd ever ridden, and I was pretty well sold on the 29'er thing after one 7 mile lap (though none of the 29'ers i've ridden since have impressed as much). It was an absolute rocketship, and that's all I can intelligently say. I didn't stop grinning like a fool long enough to assess the comparative chainstay stiffness, or vibration absorbing characteristics, so you'll just have to go demo one yourself. Plus I've heard some pretty positive customer service stories about Fisher standing behind their frames.

if you are looking at a size Large or XL CrossCountry hardtail, you should seriously consider getting a 29'er IMHO. And if you are already looking at a top-end bike the Superfly shouldn't be too far out of the range. Check it out.

·
Appalachian Highlander
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, my center if gravity is not so high, if you get my drift, so, while I've tried the 29'er thing, I think I'm better off on a 26'er. I would imagine that for a taller rider, the 29'ers would be very much worthwhile. There is and IF dealer nearby, so that may be worth investigating.

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts