Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a 2010 stumpjumper fsr comp and i am getting a lot of chain slap, but no chain coming off the chain ring. what economical, light and aesthetically pleasing solution do your recommend? I don't like those lizards skins, etc.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Suggest you try to shorten your chain. Go one link at a time. My stock stumpy chain was too long.

Some sort of rubberized, neoprene, or whatever chainstay protecter helps alot. Not a bad idea to put one on your seatstay as well if you go bigger than regular XC riding.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Chain probably too long as others have said, but you will always get some chain slap. That is until they brought out the dangler, but not sure it's available aftermarket yet.
The new XTR rear mech with the built in clutch is a revelation, it stops any chain slap and makes riding a pleasure. Very expensive way to stop chain slap though.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
i've been using the fuzzy side of velcro for the last 4-5yrs. doesn't hold moisture like you would think and it is pretty damn quiet. Plus you can cut it to shape. Saw it an article on Sam Hill's Iron Horse Sunday. Apparently he hates a noisy bike. so his wrench came up with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've been using the fuzzy side of velcro for the last 4-5yrs. doesn't hold moisture like you would think and it is pretty damn quiet. Plus you can cut it to shape. Saw it an article on Sam Hill's Iron Horse Sunday. Apparently he hates a noisy bike. so his wrench came up with it.
its a good idea but it holds dirt and stays wet. I'm looking for something different

·
On wuss patrol
5,146 Posts
Most of the metallic sound with chain slap is the chain bouncing around in the fd. Not much you can do to quiet that. I've gone with a 2X front and bash, a mid-cage rd and shorter chain and I still get the metallic sound on my '10 FSR.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I made one out of a hose you can buy at home depot. Only cost like $3 for a foot of hose. Seems to work good enough for me. It's not silent, but waaaay better.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Get your LBS to order a Dangler from Specialized.

Just tell them that a new bike was dropped and the stock Dangler on it broke.

Then, even though they don't technically sell them, they'll sell you one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Doesn't always work out, depending on the trail incline, speed, etc., but I make sure I use my big chain ring whenever possible. It reduces chain-slap due to increasing the amount of chain wrapped around the larger chain ring. Hard to do on steep, technical stuff, but good when you can.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Hey,
I have a 2010 stumpjumper fsr comp and i am getting a lot of chain slap, but no chain coming off the chain ring. what economical, light and aesthetically pleasing solution do your recommend? I don't like those lizards skins, etc.
Assuming that you have checked your chain length I would go with the old default chainstay protector which is an old inner tube wrapped around the chainstay. You can make it as thick or as thin as you like.

A bit puzzled about the "asthetics" bit. It is a MTB we are talking about right? It is currently covered in all sorts of **** as it has been used. Right?

·
On wuss patrol
5,146 Posts
I made one out of a hose you can buy at home depot. Only cost like $3 for a foot of hose. Seems to work good enough for me. It's not silent, but waaaay better.

Innovative and cheap but looks like hell :D. 'Sides, he already has one the came on the bike and it looks sexy, like this. I also have a couple of Lizard Skins on other stays to protect from various scuffage and chain noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with a MRP LRP with tensioner due to this same concern on my 10 FSR Comp, took a few links out of a new chain I installed as well and it got so much quieter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Innovative and cheap but looks like hell :D. 'Sides, he already has one the came on the bike and it looks sexy, like this. I also have a couple of Lizard Skins on other stays to protect from various scuffage and chain noise.
I agree. The one that comes with the bike is very sexy. My bike didn't come with one, and i wanted one that didn't keep moisture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts