Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike (as it sits today) in 1993 in Grand Junction Colorado. As you can see, there is no stickers or serial number that would say "Manitou". The guy I bought it from said it was a "Manitou", and looking on the net, it screams it. About 10 years ago, somebody broke a spoke on the rear rim, and it sat until this year when I decide to get it back on the road.

It still has the original Specialized GX26 rims, Ground Control tires, Shimano XT components. The forks are Rock Shox (I think they are around 1992)

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Hey Paul,

I hope you don't mind but since it's so rare, I felt bad deleting these pictures since most of the wiw questions get deleted. I haven't seen an estay Doug Bradbury Manitou before and definitely haven't seen one on a forum before so I carved out your posts.

I'm so excited for you. It's a great bike and you have the only one! :) Enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Very cool. I had no idea that Doug built any e-stay frames. The gussets are definitely his work. Thanks for posting! :) Hopefully someone else will respond with more information about e-stay Manitous, I'd love to hear the whole story.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
so much for not for sale. lolz.

awesome pickup! one of one, priceless! I'm can't wait for you to swap some parts out and take some nice pictures. What fork are ya going to put on it? :D

You're a great researcher, SMartin, so let us know if you find out more about it. I can't believe that there are more out there....

·
CBI 2L
233 Posts
Here is what I just got from Doug:

"Where do you get these things?? Yes I made that, the only one. Can't believe it's still around. Can't remember who it was for but I remember they wanted real short chain stays so I copied Richard Cunningham's Mantis at the time. By far the ugliest bike I ever made!"

Double Century has an old DBM fork with RC mounts, so I think that will be the choice there. Bushpig has some IRD progressive u-brakes and maybe an IRD bar, and I've got an IRD Macaroni stem. Keep the rest original and roll on!

Looks like it's a pretty good size for me, so pretty stocked!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a great thread.
I never thought i would use “elevated chainstays” & “Manitou” in one sentence… and now i do.

Dear SMRTIN, can you provide some geometry-infos?
I guess at the time this frame was build(referring to the upper headtube gusset i bet: ~87), DB was able to produce his standard frames with their typical 416mm chainstays. So what do we have here?

I´m looking forward for more infos and pics from the formely known as parallel universe.

matt

·
CBI 2L
233 Posts
I don't have it in hand yet. But, by my guesstimate this is an 89/90. According to Doug he built it based on the Mantis E-stays which debuted in 89.

Happy to take some measurements when it arrives, or maybe DC can when he gets it this weekend.

·
Team Brooklyn
1,668 Posts
Extremely cool and just my size (i.e. too big for someone else of my stature).

If DC will have it in hand, I'm sure he can manufacture everything you need to have a period-correct and exquisitely detailed build.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.