Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Richard sent me a prototype Alien in 1988 after I broke my Mantis XCR non E stay. I really liked the alien and soon broke it while in NorCal. Lucky for me I used to work at Velo club bike shop in San Carlos and the owner fixed it for me. It broke in a few more spots but by then my XCR was fixed and my new e stay Valkyrie made it to me. I think people would be wise to listen to Ken on the so cal scene history. Zap had his own agenda to be sure. Thanks to Richard and Eddie for making Mantis bikes!

Kinda cool the e stay is back with Salsa and truck making plus size bikes now. bike design always cycles around and around

·
Registered
45 Posts
I seem to remember reading old issues of Mountain Bike Action and other mags from the '90s saying that elevated stays made for better climbing. Not sure if true, but my 1992 Cirrus was a beast on hills back in the day, but that could have been as much me being 20 years younger as the bike being better :D

Still riding my first, although she's setup as a commuter right now. I have taken her on some trails and it's still a blast to ride (though the old Rock Shox can't hold a candle to modern forks).

2016-07-12 19.47.38 HDR.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Saying goodbye to my last Genesis.

This was a replacement frame for my X wife made in 95. Her bike met a sad end in a roof mounted bikes and garage meetup. Top of door hit seatpost. Bent IRD seatpost, top of TT at HT, Fork steerer and HT. So weird. I would of thought the fork would of ripped out of the fork mount before all this damage.
Ripped the HT clean off my son's Slickrock Jr. His bike was replaced completely. Tig bikes break and brazed will bend. Can't tell you how many times I have seen this.
Vics1.JPG

Finally decided to get rid of it to a guy in Germany. Not sure why I gave it away for only $600. This was the last of 2 Genesis's and 1 Y Bike I made in a short run while at Lennard Zinn's shop.

gen1.jpg

20171108_104120.jpg

20171108_104144.jpg

20171108_104019_001.jpg

20171108_104046_001.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
used to race a nishiki barabrian in late 80's, early 90's broke the frame and they replaced it with convetional chainstay bike. still miss that bike

Nishiki Barbarian 001.JPG

·
Administrator
10,531 Posts
used to race a nishiki barabrian in late 80's, early 90's broke the frame and they replaced it with convetional chainstay bike. still miss that bike

View attachment 1253415
There is one of these that someone locks to the fence at Pike Market in Seattle, where the street goes down to the gum wall/post alley. Next time I walk by I will snap a photo for you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This was my last Genesis I made in 95 or 98? I sold the frame only, unpainted with the last sticker set I had. He did a awesome job of painting and assembling and had a local builder make the fork. The stem he got for a song from a guy who could not somehow figure out a bar to fit.???????????
They airbrushed the black on instead of smoke but did a GREAT job.
Thanks Felix for a job well done, I couldn't have done it better!

20190610_152658_resized.jpg

20190610_152821_resized.jpg

20190610_152756_resized.jpg

last one.jpg

Reactions: sgltrak

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished restoration of my unknown elevated chainstay, is there anyone who got same frame as i am? i need more information for naming my bike :cool::cool:
51d6202c-8605-4ef3-895c-526f862e2f73.jpg fab839f1-a59c-4e77-923c-190366d70d6f.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll share my elevated bike, Its made by Top Image that I got off ebay a while back and I like it cause its use of oversize aluminum tubing that reminds me of my Cannondal's from the 80's which makes it look apart from other skinny tube elevated frames. Put it together with spare parts I have around, Noleen CrossLink forks, Magura Hydraulic rim brake and Cane Creek seat buster. Not vintage or correct for the die hards but I like it.

Fantastic build on the Top Image. Just curious...what's the frame size, c-c and c-t?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had this Brave Warrior for years and only rode it a few times, good thing. It was repainted before the original owner took it for a ride, he didn't like the screaming colors they offered at the time so its a "nice green" now. Long story short is that it is a TET bike that was rode hard and put away wet, literally. It has a dent on the top tube but I can live with that. After spending hours getting it ready to ride I notice a line above the chainstay/seat tube cluster. Yes, it is cracked all the way around. Question is: Is it worth spending the money to have the repairs made and repaint or just hang it on a wall?

Attachments

161 - 175 of 175 Posts