Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
With the elevated stays the chain doesn't run thru the frame. just undo 1 jockey wheel and the chain comes right off in one piece ya that part was sweet for cleaning the links
I realise the chain doesn't run through the frame (I have an AlpineStars as well as 2 Santa Cruz Superlights and a Bullit) but it was the bit about pulling the derailleur to bits. If it's simply one jockey wheel then swing the cage open, then all good, except...

You still have to fish it out of the front derailleur.
5 seconds with a phillips head, but wrestling it past the chainrings could be a PITA.

Meh, joiner links FTW. :)

Grumps

·
rismtb
552 Posts
yes its coming back to me now, the front thread thing. Still better than breaking the chain. I didn't have the bike long so I only did it couple of times.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I believe the first elevated chain stay bike was a project bike that MBA had Yeti build for them back in 1987/88. Richard Cunningham of Mantis soon followed with the XCR, then shortly after he designed the Nishiki Alien.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always thought about the chain breaking thing, by the time you got the derailleur apart to take the chain out, it would be just as easy to break the chain, wouldn't it? Or am I missing something (as usual)?

Grumps
Back then if a Shimano chain didn't explode by itself you sure didn't want to mess with a good thing. That was about the only good thing about elevated bikes. Then again you had to take the chain off every 8-12 months anyways to warranty the broken frame.

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
Anyone know more about the Malvern Star Pro-tech 500M elevated chainstay bike?
What did you want to know?

They were made in the far east and distributed by Malvern Star in the early 90s. Low end parts on a not-particularly-great frame.

That said, growing up in Australia in the 70s, 80s or 90s, you weren't a true Aussie without a Malvern Star or a Repco of some sort.

Grumps

·
CBI 2L
233 Posts
This is sort of interesting... Apparently Doug B built this bike in May of 1987 (also reflected in his serial number log book)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Love the Estay! I still ride my Alpinestar Cro mega, love that bike, it climbs like a champ. I have owned (and now miss) Pro flex bikes in the past. Wish I could keep them all!

Attachments

141 - 160 of 175 Posts