Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rear mounting hardware that press in the DU bushing give to the shock a side to side play of maybe 1mm. I would just like to know if it's normal ? (Never ridden bike don't have that side by side play).

I am wondering about this because during the first day of my last enduro race (2 days 115km + 70km) my BB pivot bolt loosened and I probably rode the bike during 20-30km with a loose rear end (1/8in side to side play maybe) (Never noticed it until the end).

EDIT

Like this (but a lot less) : http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200885

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Because the shock mount thru-bolt has a shoulder that the opposite bolt will bottom out on, there can be some side play in it. As long as that bolt is tight you should be OK.

Because there's a fair bit of rotation on that shock bolt at the 3D link, you wouldn't want it to be snug, it should have some free play to prevent binding.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockyuphill said:
Because the shock mount thru-bolt has a shoulder that the opposite bolt will bottom out on, there can be some side play in it. As long as that bolt is tight you should be OK.

Because there's a fair bit of rotation on that shock bolt at the 3D link, you wouldn't want it to be snug, it should have some free play to prevent binding.
I hope I understood you correctly, because the 1mm side to side play (more like 0.5mm actually is in the mounting hardware that pass thru the DU bushing.

I was thinking the same thing, but when i compared my bikes to brand new ones, new ones didn't had any play. Both aluminium mounting hardware thingy touch each other at the middle of the DU.

I do think it's normal because the bolts are nice and snug, I was just worried that the loose rear end might had put some stress on the mounting hardware. I will be able to compare it to a used element 90 sunday, I will see...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockyuphill said:
It could be that the DU bushing in the shock is wearing, the reducers are usually a sticky snug fit in the DU bushing.
What's the model number of that DU bushing ?
I think we have reducer in stock.

Do you think it would be a good idea to just change the reducer ?
Can I ride it like this without breaking the eyelet of the shock ?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The shock eyelet should be fine, it is only likely to break if it's severely binding. The lateral play shouldn't affect wear at all. I think that Fox has just the one model of DU bushing.

I changed the bushings and reducers on my ETSX to the BETD Strong bushes which really reduced the drag on the suspension linkage as they allow the reducer to rotate freely in the shock bushing. They are also stainless steel so they don't wear like the aluminium bushings. The new Marz Roco bushings are similar and a bit cheaper, but the BETD IGUS shock bushings make the big difference, they don't wear or pound out as fast as the DU bushings.

When I ordered the BETD bushings I found that there are 22.4mm, 22.2mm and 22mm wide bushings available, but in the standard Fox reducers there are just the 22.2mm size. So the BETD give you more range of tolerance adjust.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rockyuphill said:
The shock eyelet should be fine, it is only likely to break if it's severely binding. The lateral play shouldn't affect wear at all. I think that Fox has just the one model of DU bushing.

I changed the bushings and reducers on my ETSX to the BETD Strong bushes which really reduced the drag on the suspension linkage as they allow the reducer to rotate freely in the shock bushing. They are also stainless steel so they don't wear like the aluminium bushings. The new Marz Roco bushings are similar and a bit cheaper, but the BETD IGUS shock bushings make the big difference, they don't wear or pound out as fast as the DU bushings.

When I ordered the BETD bushings I found that there are 22.4mm, 22.2mm and 22mm wide bushings available, but in the standard Fox reducers there are just the 22.2mm size. So the BETD give you more range of tolerance adjust.
The problem is not really the aluminium reducer wearing. The loose rear end caused this. I worked on it a little today and also found out that if I lift the bike by the seatpost, i feel a little click. The reducer and DU are probably shot. I will give rocky a call monday (will order from them).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.