Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen alot people using intake snorkels and cat backs. One question about the intake mods. On my 4runner i used a hole saw cvutting out a 4" circle and then fit a deck plate from a marine hardware store tothe air box. Then i drilled holes in the deck plate to increase flow. Im wondering if i might be able to do this with an element Has anyone mod'd their air boxs to allow better flow instead of using a snorkel?

The cat back mod is a total no brainer so ill spare you any dumb questions on that one. Also can i or do you still pass smog with these mods given their before the fuel/air intake and after the cat?

Anyone know if these mods will let me pass smog? i have a air box mod and a cat back on my 4runner and it passes smog no problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can't think of any reason it would change emis. the intake on natural aspirated engine is all cotrolled after it goes through the maf sensor or whatever honda is using and the amount of air used by engine is controlled by throttle, the exhaust is managed by the o2 system and cats .
Are you planning on deep water crossings in that thing or what.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Im sorry but any mod you do to that little engine will net you zero true gain.

I'd leave it stock and not hack anything up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MillerSHO said:
Im sorry but any mod you do to that little engine will net you zero true gain.

I'd leave it stock and not hack anything up.
I totally agree. These days just sticking a free flow exhaust on a vehicle does little or nothing. I've seen more than a few cases where the motor made less power than stock after certain mods. The whole system needs to be designed around how much air flow at which RPM. Fuel injection, variable valve timing, variable intake tract length, etc systems all make these homegrown mods pointless. If you want more performance, you have to design the whole system for it: intake, valve timing, combustion chamber, desired power curve, etc.

If you're not prepared for that much effort, leave it alone. You'll only #$%^ it up.

Az

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant agree..

Reason being that regardless of the engine displacement there are gains to allowing the engine and its management system breath easier.

There are slight HP gains to be had in the teen percentiles, but more noticable is the widening of the OE engines powerband.

As ive mentioned i have done these mods on a 3.4L v 6 and have also seen dyno results of these same mods on engines with simular displacement. lastly the 2.4 VTEC K motors are worthy of mods, as proof of current tuning trends.

Hey im not adding a stinkin coffee can exhaust on the thing or tuning it to sound like a chainsaw..i just want to make modest tweaks that improve the performance...thats all..

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well he is right and your money is better spent else where, you're not going to notice in any gain short of force induction.

That engine pulling that rig would be better served with different gearing more then any bolt on would give you again aside from forced induction.

I'd get a nicer bike rack or save up for your next car/truck or bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Most intake and exhaust mod give people a percieved power increase because the hear the air rushing in and the exhaust tone so they rap the snot out of it so they can hear all that power they bolted on. most veh. will lose low end when you open up the exhaust anyway.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
There is hp to be made on those engines, but just a intake and exhaust won't do much good, without a good re-flash/chip tuning.. I would check out hondata, they have been doing amazing things with Honda's new generation of engines.

Just did about 2 seconds of research, http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html yields they do not make anything for Elements/2.4L K-series, I would shoot them an email and see if they have anything in the works. From what I've heard from RSX owners these reflashes are well worth it..

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
captain spaulding said:
There is hp to be made on those engines, but just a intake and exhaust won't do much good, without a good re-flash/chip tuning.. I would check out hondata, they have been doing amazing things with Honda's new generation of engines.

Just did about 2 seconds of research, http://www.hondata.com/reflash.html yields they do not make anything for Elements/2.4L K-series, I would shoot them an email and see if they have anything in the works. From what I've heard from RSX owners these reflashes are well worth it..
Agreed on the hondata suggestion. However, since hondata knows that engine very well, I'm sure their mods for K-series engines will easily cross over to the Element. Want power? Talk to them about a turbo for you Element.

For more Element stuff, go to http://www.elementownersclub.com/

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the very sight..

Blaster1200 said:
Agreed on the hondata suggestion. However, since hondata knows that engine very well, I'm sure their mods for K-series engines will easily cross over to the Element. Want power? Talk to them about a turbo for you Element.

For more Element stuff, go to http://www.elementownersclub.com/
where ive vbeen reading about dyno & powerband gains via intakes and cat backs. Theres also claims of MPG increases.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Even if you got one mile more per gallon do you realize how much time and gas it would take for you to even break even after paying for that mod or mods?

You won't even own the ride anymore by the time you're even close to breaking even.

Without spending a bunch of time and money whatever you add to gain you top end is going to net you less in the low end, back pressure is so important in these newer cars.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if you have a lot of time and experience with fabrication, you can do this 3.2L V6 swap from the accord.

thats actually of a car built for Honda for Sema 2006. It is a twin turbo 3.2L that they claim will make 500 hp. Another mod would be for the 5spd elements, to do a K20a2 vtec head swap. Along with a custom header, cams and hondata reflash you will see some good gains. There are RSX owners making mid 200 whp on pump gas with a similar setup.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Iirc...

... that thing uses basically the same underpingings as the Accord 4 cyl. I would think anything that works on that car would work on the E. There are smog legal intakes and exhaust systems that will give you a bump in HP. Also, check into chipping it.

So you thinking of getting an Element? Nice! The thing is you never drive as it is.

I also heard there is a hybrid Element in the works. Prolly won't be released for a while, tho.

Seen this yet?

Ooooh yeah!

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
contacted um..

after reading some stuff on their forums. Apparently the reflash for the RSX works on the element. the dyno specs say 25hp gain..dang

Know i wantto tfind out how much and whats envolved..

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Hondata reflash required you to pull the Ecu from your car and ship it to them. They'll re-program it for you and send it back. Which means you'd be without your car for at least a couple of days.

Also, for some models, they don't recommend doing th re-flash unless you've already done some other mods, such as the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ride bike or bus during the week..

BloorwestSiR said:
The Hondata reflash required you to pull the Ecu from your car and ship it to them. They'll re-program it for you and send it back. Which means you'd be without your car for at least a couple of days.

Also, for some models, they don't recommend doing th re-flash unless you've already done some other mods, such as the intake and exhaust.
as it is. car just sits there most the time..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.