Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· what...?
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LBS replaced the chain stay a few months ago so I could use disc brakes. This past weekend I noticed alot of play in the main pivot. The bolts on either side are very snug. Seems like the chainstay is 'loose' around the BB area.
How is the link constructed? Is it a simple bolt thru a sleeve, like the shok is mounted, or more elaborate. I can't tighten the two bolts anymore to take up the 'play'.
anyone have an exploded picture or diagram of how this thing is?
thanks.
jeff
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
jmtbkr said:
LBS replaced the chain stay a few months ago so I could use disc brakes. This past weekend I noticed alot of play in the main pivot. The bolts on either side are very snug. Seems like the chainstay is 'loose' around the BB area.
How is the link constructed? Is it a simple bolt thru a sleeve, like the shok is mounted, or more elaborate. I can't tighten the two bolts anymore to take up the 'play'.
anyone have an exploded picture or diagram of how this thing is?
thanks.
jeff
Older element frames use bushings ih the pivots, which wears out over time. So you should look into getting a new bushing kit.
 

· what...?
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
macming said:
Older element frames use bushings ih the pivots, which wears out over time. So you should look into getting a new bushing kit.
It's a Y2K SC. My Lbs just replaced the chain stay recently and I can't believe he wouldn't have used new bushings in the re-build. Ya think this is what's happening?
the bushings are in the chainstay arms? so what runs thru the BB area?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
jmtbkr said:
It's a Y2K SC. My Lbs just replaced the chain stay recently and I can't believe he wouldn't have used new bushings in the re-build. Ya think this is what's happening?
the bushings are in the chainstay arms? so what runs thru the BB area?
All pivots points use bushings. That's just one of the things you may need to check, and it doesn't hurt to bring it back to the LBS to have them check it out.

Ming
 

· what...?
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update...

Main pivot bushings (DU bushings) were shot.
the outside bolts on the pivot screw into a stainless axle that ride in the bushings that fit into the frame. Pretty simple and strong. Guess 5yrs was time to change it :p
had the other pivots done too, as it's a complete kit.

I'm relieved as I thought the frame was a goner...but I would have gotten another Element frame anyway :cool:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
jmtbkr said:
Main pivot bushings (DU bushings) were shot.
the outside bolts on the pivot screw into a stainless axle that ride in the bushings that fit into the frame. Pretty simple and strong. Guess 5yrs was time to change it :p
had the other pivots done too, as it's a complete kit.

I'm relieved as I thought the frame was a goner...but I would have gotten another Element frame anyway :cool:
Glad to hear your problem was only with Bushings. I'm just wondering how much it cost you to acquire the entire kit? With racing and all, I expect mine to last 2-3 years in my Instinct (same frame as Element)

Ming
 

· what...?
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bushing set is about $40.
the DU bushing and reducer thingy for the main pivot was $10.

like I said, it's been over 5 yrs since I got the frame.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top