Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I've used electrical tape in the past. Works just fine.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
dandurston said:
Is it ok to run a few laps of electrical tape on my rim instead of regular rim tape? Is real rim tape better for any reason (lighter?)?
Sure. One layer is enough. Overlap a few inches. I've used it for several years with no problem. It also helps seal out water and dirt from getting in through the spoke holes. I've also noticed that after getting a flat the air leaks out slower. "Real" rim tape is heavier.
(This is assuming your spokes don't protrude into the tube area, done on cheap rims. If so they'll poke through electrical tape.)

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
dandurston said:
Is it ok to run a few laps of electrical tape on my rim instead of regular rim tape? Is real rim tape better for any reason (lighter?)?
Only problem with electrical tape is it is fairly flexible and over time will collapse into the spoke holes.

I would recommend using filament tape (or fiber tape). Can be found at hardware stores and is cheap. Also is supplied in Stans no-tubes kits.

·
high plains drifter
388 Posts
multiple uses

I once witnessed a guy shred his sidewall and we wrapped electrical tape around the tire through the spokes and rim to hold the tube and tire to the rim and he rode 13 miles back to the truck.as long as it keeps the tube from rubbing the spoke holes anything would work

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
mateoway said:
I once witnessed a guy shred his sidewall and we wrapped electrical tape around the tire through the spokes and rim to hold the tube and tire to the rim and he rode 13 miles back to the truck.as long as it keeps the tube from rubbing the spoke holes anything would work
Wasnt there something like that in last months MB action? :eek:

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
electrical tape, packing tape, duct tape, hockey tape (don't recommend), just about anything can be used. it's when you get to road bikes with 120+psi that you start needing to worry about the pressure poking through the spoke holes. :p

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I've blown a tube with electrical tape as rim tape.

I had two wraps around the rim, and I had it there for at least a year prior. Over time, as 006-007 mentioned, it stetched and eventually allowed the tube to burst through the hole. It was clearly evident what happened when you looked at the tube. While electrical tape works in pinch for a short time, I'd recommend using some kind of fiber-reinforced tape.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
006_007 said:
Different. It has fiberglass strings that run along the length of it making it very strong. Do a google search for "filament tape" or just pop into your local hardware store.
TJ
Ok, I'll pick some up tomorrow. Thanks! Is one layer enough?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Yabut

with electrical tape you'll never get a short!

Hmn, think I better get some of that fiberglass tape and put it on the Knolly, what's another few grams of tape?

Jim

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
I use two layers.

It is also called strapping tape. (But the narrowest roll you can find, 1/2" or 3/4")

One other good thing about this tape, is that it is easy to rip to the correct width if you are using it on a narrow rim.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
JimC. said:
with electrical tape you'll never get a short!

Hmn, think I better get some of that fiberglass tape and put it on the Knolly, what's another few grams of tape?

Jim
You are not running any rim strips in those wheels Jim?

If you are interested I am gonna convert mine to tubeless this weekend (providing I can get away from work for a spare 5 minutes....)

TJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.