Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in the fall my lbs was out of velox rim strip,so I used some electrical tape...Its been hold up fine (no flats) I'm about to put together a new set of wheels and wouldnt mind saving the $$$ on rim strips if I dont have to use them...has anyone used electrical tape for rim strips....ghetto or not :thumbsup:

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,162 Posts
29ERCAT said:
back in the fall my lbs was out of velox rim strip,so I used some electrical tape...Its been hold up fine (no flats) I'm about to put together a new set of wheels and wouldnt mind saving the $$$ on rim strips if I dont have to use them...has anyone used electrical tape for rim strips....ghetto or not :thumbsup:
I had to use electrical tape on a set of bonty race lite wheels as the tape just kept squirming. Since then- i get a flat every few weeks die to the tape crimping up. I'd say NO.

Saying that- it could be the totally s h i t bonty wheels :p

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Never used electrical tape but did use hockey tape which works fine. I'd say hockey tape is less prone to slipping thus exposing the nipple holes in the rim.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have used electrical tape on my wheels for several seasons, and it works great. Just make sure you get the tape tight around the rim. Two turns should do the trick. ;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I used two layers of electrical tape for a few years and it worked fine. Since then I have been using fiberglass packing tape; it also works fine and puckers less around the spoke holes.

If you plan to use higher tire pressures, do not use electrical tape! For example road tire pressure (about 100psi) will blow through electrical tape almost immediately. I would stick to uses where you won't exceed 40 psi or so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One wrap electrical tape, then a wrap of 3/4 inch nylon packing tape and your done. The packing tape by its self is a b***h to take off after a few years. My .02, happy trails

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
I've just used some 3m magic tape, (good quality sticky tape) underneath the rubber strip on a Stan's conversion. seems to be working, haven't really put too many kms on them yet.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Can you please recommend any good source of this tape, preferably in Europe.
Thank you,
Michal
Sorry, I can't. I'm in N.America (Canada) and the stuff is quite common over here. But that was a very old topic and I've since changed my rim tapes - I now use Velox cloth tapes. It's not because of any failures with the 3M stuff but it was due to the sticky glue left behind when changing rim tapes (removing for spoke replacement etc?). The Velox come off cleanly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have used electrical tape on my wheels for several seasons, and it works great. Just make sure you get the tape tight around the rim. Two turns should do the trick. ;)
I tried this with different results. Tape didn't stay in place and curled up. But maybe because I tried it tubeless, maybe a tube would hold it in place? Electrical tape isn't strong and won't support the air pressure against the spoke holes. There are different kinds of electrical tape so maybe some work better than others, but based on my experience I wouldn't try it again, not even in a pinch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got one wrap of electric tape on a wheel I put together this spring. I rode it a half dozen times then swapped out tires and all looked good. Rode a 1/2 dozen more and no troubles thus far. Seems to be working fine. I do have the high quality 3M stuff (there is a big difference between the cheap stuff and the good). This is with BWW Pure 29er rims if rim profile plays into the equation at all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm using it on my rear wheel at the moment due to having nothing else, I cut off small sections for each whole then did one loop around the whole wheel. I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts