Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd drop a line to my fellow Mountain States Cup racers..... down here in NM we're throwing the Fat Tire Festival in Los Alamos (northern NM) which is highlighted by the infamous Pajarito Punishment (12th year running) MTBike XC race. There's also the "Muy Loco" DH race for those gravity powered nuts! It's the same weekend as Eldora Escape, but if your a pro (or know one!) the XC purse is big, $500 for first!

The Punishment is a point-to-point epic by any measurement.... about 28 (final course TBD asap!) miles, a sh!tload of climbing, and loads of technical rolling singletrack. One climb is up Pipeline Rd., a road only in name and a sustained lung-busting, loose, hard climb to get from the singletrack trails in town up to the ski area, where the course continues on up to the top on more singletrack, then screams down through the ski area, on awesome trails that dump you out into the last descent, Pajarito Canyon, to the finish. The finish is about 1.5 miles from the start/parking area downhill.

The real fun is that we start the race neutral with the Los Alamos parade! There's all kind's of stuff going on in town, including the Rodeo (if that's also your cup of tea!) and a fair in town that weekend.

Anyhow, I hear Eldora is supposed to be cool, but I'm blowing it off for some 'real' XC racing here at home. No foofy ski-area loops or state-park circuits designed to keep us XC folks near the DH'ers for ease of organization or anaerobic for 2 hours.

Check out the site here, and we'll get the map up this week!

http://www.losalamos.com/fattirefestival/index.asp

·
ride
5,275 Posts
glenzx said:
Anyhow, I hear Eldora is supposed to be cool, but I'm blowing it off for some 'real' XC racing here at home. No foofy ski-area loops or state-park circuits designed to keep us XC folks near the DH'ers for ease of organization or anaerobic for 2 hours.
Bummer - if it's "real" XC racing you're looking for, you're missing the wrong race. I'm not sure of the exact course, but what I've heard is that it's going to be mostly on the Eldora XC ski trails. Any of the locals that have ridden up there can testify that those trails make for some pretty good riding. There's a couple dh XC ski trails in there that I've seen big bike folk shuttling (well, er, pushing up).

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Wow, legally ride the Eldora XC ski trails?

If you race? What a concept ;) Yeah, I've also seen alot of motos back there, kinda lost. Them:"Guess we're not suppose to be here, huh?"...Me:"Yeah, but neither am I :D " Setting Sun's cool, but most of the trails have an overabundance of baby-heads, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ignazjr said:
Bummer - if it's "real" XC racing you're looking for, you're missing the wrong race. I'm not sure of the exact course, but what I've heard is that it's going to be mostly on the Eldora XC ski trails. Any of the locals that have ridden up there can testify that those trails make for some pretty good riding. There's a couple dh XC ski trails in there that I've seen big bike folk shuttling (well, er, pushing up).
No, I know, I've heard that riding in/around Nederland is awesome from a relocated local! But I simply point out that those who may be tired of all the "laps" we've done (3 for us elite folk at Eldora {better than the SEVEN or EIGHT at Bear Creek though}...), may be looking for a hard-core point to point XC race, like that one at winter park ;) I've been looking at! I wish I could be there at Eldora, but I've got to hit one of our states best races (if not THE best) of the season. Wicked climbing, real technical climbs & descents, and a great town with lot's of cheap/free places to stay!

Definately been lovin' the MSC series and CO! :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.