Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took spot-on logistics, a sterling support crew, and a take-no-prisoners ride pace, but my dream of riding 60 miles of prime PNW trail in a single day became a reality on July 23rd.

Supported by 14 friends who handled everything from pacing to wrenching to shuttling, I covered 63.6 miles of singletrack that included approximately 7,000 feet of climbing.

We were on the Ape Canyon trail at 4:55 a.m. and rode across the Plains of Abraham, through the washes on the north side, and back to the start point in 2:47. Total was 15.5 miles.

We dropped over to the west side of St. Helens and hit Blue Lake to Red Rock Pass to the Kalama Horse Camp. It took us 1:24 to cover 8.8 miles.

It was 11:25 a.m. when we got started at the Curley Creek trailhead at Lewis River. The temp was rising and the interval climbing took a toll on all of us. We covered the 22.2 mile out-and-back to the Lower Falls in 3:57.

Falls Creek was last on the list. It was about 85 at the Oldman Pass parking lot but cooled down when we got under the canopy. I was feeling a little fatigued as we climbed to the top, but our entire crew put the hammer down on the last 10-11 miles. We reached the bottom at 6:36 p.m., covering the 17.1 final leg in 2:09.

Ryan McMaster, Lance Brigman, and Dave LeMonds also completed all four legs.

Ten photos at the bottom of the post at http://writeteknorthwest.com/archives/5285/elderly-man-nails-60-sixty. I'll try to put a vid together by the end of the week.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Good job. Sounds like an awesome day of epic riding!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Damn, that's cool. I remember when you announced this and I am glad to hear you pulled it off. Some of the sections you rode require a lot of energy per mile. Congrats.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
My theory: peeps that are gonzo at 60 were gonzo to start with.

That's my (old guy, almost 60) theory and I'm stickin to it!

P.S. Good job, but quit ruining the curve for the rest of us.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,458 Posts
LeeMan said:
My theory: peeps that are gonzo at 60 were gonzo to start with.

That's my (old guy, almost 60) theory and I'm stickin to it!

P.S. Good job, but quit ruining the curve for the rest of us.
I know a 20 year old who rode 20 miles. :D

--Sparty

P.S. For the record, I figger LeeMan & I are roughly the same age. Dang it hurts to admit this.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Sparticus said:
I know a 20 year old who rode 20 miles. :D

--Sparty

P.S. For the record, I figger LeeMan & I are roughly the same age. Dang it hurts to admit this.
I know at least a couple of us old guys that have gone 100 miles before ...

BTW ... it doesn't hurt you nearly as much as it does me. :eek:

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,458 Posts
LeeMan said:
I know at least a couple of us old guys that have gone 100 miles before ...

BTW ... it doesn't hurt you nearly as much as it does me. :eek:
Puff in '11, LeeMan? C'mon! :thumbsup:

--Davey

G

·
60 year old dude-60 is not elderly unless you can't move. Guys your age ride around the trails you mention all the time. Don't bring your support team and we will pace you(personally, without a race number, I'm not in that big of a hurry). We might even take you places with no trail markers, maybe get lost in the woods(so scary).
The trail always ends at Walking Man, if you complain, we will make you drink more(but we will drive you to a place to stay for the night). Then we will make you ride the next day.
If you can wake up and get out of bed, you have no major problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts