Elbow rotation?

• Down and back

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd thought during a ride the other day. Road ride on a flat bar mountain bike with a bunch of other guys on road bikes. After many miles I would lean down to try and get some aero, and I started thinking about how a roadie with their drop bar setup would normally have their elbows rotated so they are flexing back, while I normally position my elbows so they flex outward more. Just the way I always did it.
I tried riding for a little while with my elbows rotated back more, and it seems like a simple rotation of the handlebar would make it comfortable.

Curious, how do you ride? elbows pointed out or pointed back?

·
Your Best Friend
5,411 Posts
This is mountain biking. Elbows out. Major part of the attack/ready position.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Depends what I'm doing. I think you make a very good observation.

On flat bars, if I'm not developing a lot of power, elbows out. I think that facilitates handling, as well as being more natural for me when I'm on flat bars and have a little weight on my hands. Nice little synergy there.

When I start to work harder, I often drop my elbows and lower my torso.

On a road bike, palms in and elbows down is my primary riding position, although I'll sometimes put my hands on my flats when I'm riding at a pretty mellow pace. I think that elbows down being both more ergonomic for me at higher efforts and more aero is another of those nice little synergies.

When you think about it, a lot of this stuff isn't too surprising because bikes have evolved over a long period. It's not like no-one tried putting a drop bar on a mountain bike, and road bikes had flat bars then those cruiser things before they got drops.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,554 Posts
Voted most ridiculous poll of 2016.

image.gif

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,772 Posts
if you like a little more hand/arm/elbow rotation look into a handlebar with more sweep. something like the Answer pro taper 20/20 or Salsa Bend 2 handlebar with 23 degrees of sweep. super comfortable and still allow elbows out attack position. i just wish either of those came in a little wider option as they are 720mm/710mm.

to answer the poll, elbows out for attack position/chunky terrain/DH sections, elbows down and back for putting down power/climbing.

where's the option for SSers? stand and mash everywhere?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,772 Posts
Voted most ridiculous poll of 2016.

View attachment 1112309
my vote for stupidest thread goes to is 26 the new 29 and will 27.5 die or dominate and is fat a real thing or are plus the best? really? as if the question wasn't dumb enough, the responses literally make me want to bang my head against the wall. sorry, back on topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts