Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of an alternative source for elastomers for an old zzyzx fork?...it seems like an elastomer for a cane creek thudbuster would work...does anyone have an elastomer from one they could measure for me?...does anyone have any good elastomers from an old zzyzx they would be willing to part with?...i contacted atc racing and my head spun around when i seen what they wanted for the terrex fork upgrade!...i would have posted this in the shock forum but people only want to make fun of the old zzyzx forks instead of actually helping....any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
what size are they , if they are similar to the old manitou ones i have some replacements here now

if not i may be able to get you some , in a few weeks

let me know the dimensions , outer diameter , inner diameter , and length

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
zzyzx elastomers are closer in size to the ones used in mtn cycles suspenders forks... they're much larger diameter than any other fork maker has used. They're a larger diameter than the legs of most other fork brands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zzyzx elastomers are closer in size to the ones used in mtn cycles suspenders forks... they're much larger diameter than any other fork maker has used. They're a larger diameter than the legs of most other fork brands.....do you happen to know a source for these or a good substitute?

·
Registered
140 Posts
that may be so , but i can gat them from 16mm OD with a 6mm ID

up to 125mm OD with a 27mm ID

and in 500mm lengths , so i think that covers them all

they are about the same hardness as the yellow manitou elastomers , but are a modern form that are UV resistant , so wont deteriorate like the old ones used to

i have been selling these for the last year or so , mainly for proflex rear set ups , and have been testing them in manitou`s for the last couple of months , thay also work in PACE RC 35 forks

and they work excellantly

few pics for you to see of them , the larger ones were used in a merlin , the same as the ones on the proflex frames

so as you see size is not a problem

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright slimboy...each leg of the fork has 4 [email protected] 93mm long and [email protected] 30mm long in each leg...my digital calipers have a dead battery so i had to use a measuring stick!....the hole in the middle looks to be about a quarter of an inch and the outside diameter looks to be about one inch...if what you have is a little bigger around it wont matter because these forks have a very large leg tube..i guess they could be one long elastomer and not 4 seperate ones!?...it looks like you would probably have what i need...can you get me what i want...i live in the US...would that be a problem?...you can click my profile and send me an email with the details if you want...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
okay

what you are looking for is ( roughlly )

25.5 od X 6.5

the ones i have at the moment are

16 od X 6.5

so are the best match , as the next size up , the internal hole will be too large

can get you set up for $30 , postage included

sound good ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds good..so would that be 2 solid long elastomers..one for each fork leg roughly 309-310mm long each?...so what size would the hole in the middle be?...bigger than a quarter of an inch?..so you have these on hand...you are in the UK correct?...do you take paypal?...i guess just send me an email and we can exchange info.

·
Registered
140 Posts
they are 6.5 mm internal hole , which is 1/4 of an inch ( as near as )

they will stretch anyway , and you want a tight fit

i have them at home now

i am in the UK

i do take paypal

i can send them as 2 full lengths of 330 mm or cut them to required sizes ??

cutting would be better for posting , but its your call

( my mistake on the lengths , only the larger diameter come in 500mm lengths )

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Yellow manitou elastomers were "firm" rated. I've always found zzyzx elastomers worked better in softer ratings than what the Manitou firm ones were. You are afterall getting 4 to 6" (depends on the zzyzx model) of wheel travel from them. They came in like 5 different stiffness rates (like the original M1 elastomers did).

·
Eating dirt since 1978
1 Posts
Hey slimboy, I'm interested in possiblity of getting hold of some of these elastomers.

I have a Manitou 4 Magnum (last of the old school CNC'd Manitous), and are looking to replace a few if not all of them as some have deteriorated.

Let me know the deal, cost etc. I live in the UK.

Cheers

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.