Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a single speed and I am considering the El Toro. Any owners out there that can help with some questions:

- The bikes geometry appears to be designed around an 80m fork - Would like to hear how the bike handles on both an 80mm and an 100mm fork.

- I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam - Any suggestions of size? (15" or 17")

- I understand that aluminum produces a stiff but harsh ride but will steel or Ti really make that much difference?

- Anyone actually use the replaceable derailleur hanger to make this a geared bike? Don't think I would use this but curious if this should be factored into my decision.

- Anyone have some pics? - Leaning towards the Cosmic Orange.

THX

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
TRAM said:
In the market for a single speed and I am considering the El Toro. Any owners out there that can help with some questions:

- The bikes geometry appears to be designed around an 80m fork - Would like to hear how the bike handles on both an 80mm and an 100mm fork.

- I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam - Any suggestions of size? (15" or 17")

- I understand that aluminum produces a stiff but harsh ride but will steel or Ti really make that much difference?

- Anyone actually use the replaceable derailleur hanger to make this a geared bike? Don't think I would use this but curious if this should be factored into my decision.

- Anyone have some pics? - Leaning towards the Cosmic Orange.

THX
Hey there.

I recently asked this same question a few days ago and here the thread My recent Eol Toro question .

I had the same thought and ended up buying a steel single speed. As much as I wanted the El Toro (I am a HUGE Ventana fan), I just could not get myself to buy an Aluminum single speed since I would prefer a more supple ride of steel or Ti. I am very excited with my new build that Larry is putting together!

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FoShizzle said:
Hey there.

I recently asked this same question a few days ago and here the thread My recent Eol Toro question .

I had the same thought and ended up buying a steel single speed. As much as I wanted the El Toro (I am a HUGE Ventana fan), I just could not get myself to buy an Aluminum single speed since I would prefer a more supple ride of steel or Ti. I am very excited with my new build that Larry is putting together!

Cheers
Thanks FoShizzle,

The more research I did the more it seems the steel/Ti factor does make a difference. Sooooo - I just purchased a Dean Colonel SS frame (and a few of the parts) from the classifieds . Will post in the SS forum when I get it built up. Thanks again.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
TRAM said:
Thanks FoShizzle,

The more research I did the more it seems the steel/Ti factor does make a difference. Sooooo - I just purchased a Dean Colonel SS frame (and a few of the parts) from the classifieds . Will post in the SS forum when I get it built up. Thanks again.
You son of a gun!! So you just bought the small Dean with the EBB?

That is a KILLER frame. I was "this" close to getting that but did not want to deal with the notoriously long Dean wait but of course, you do not need to worry about that!!

For me, it was between the Dean Ti you got or a Sycip. I ended up going with a Phil Wood SS which is a partnership between Phil Wood and Sycip for the frame.

If you need any parts, give Larry Mettler a call and he will hook you up (he is putting mine together).

Cheers and congrats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.