Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only place that I've found to test ride an El Salt in from Competitive Cyclist in Arkansas! ?!?! That's a bit of a drive to test ride a bike, and the only models they have to ride are the 18" and 20" (I'd also be looking at the 22" and 20") but I'm not about to pull the trigger on a frame like that w/o test riding one first. Thus my query -- are there any Salty owners in upstate New York that would be willing to let me take a test ride? Thanks, respond here or pm (and tell me please) if interested and we can set something up for the spring.

matt

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not any more...

I bought my El Salt from Adventure Bikes and Boards in Hamilton, NY in 2004. At the time, anyone who could sell KHS could sell Ventana frames. Now Adventure is a Trek/Fisher/Marin dealer. Since that arrangement no longer exists with KHS dealers, I do not know where to point you.

Since getting my Salt, I have seen one other in jim Thorpe and an older bushing model at highland forest. They are rare in these parts:thumbsup:

Where are you located?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Binghamton... I've never seen one up here before, and I would bet that most dealers wouldn't have one in stock for testing purposes :( Not sure if I'm willing to put down the $$$ for the competitive cyclist straight to your doorstep tester.

matt

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
NEW YORK

Julio's Bicycles
45 S. Bedford Rd.
Chappaqua, NY 10514
Tel: 914-238-1312

Sid’s 2nd Avenue Bike Shop
235 E. 34th St.
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 212-213-8360

Are the two listed on the Ventana Website.

-Aaron

·
Registered
207 Posts
The only ventana shop near your house!

matteus said:
I'm in Binghamton... I've never seen one up here before, and I would bet that most dealers wouldn't have one in stock for testing purposes :( Not sure if I'm willing to put down the $$$ for the competitive cyclist straight to your doorstep tester.

matt
I'm 40 miles north in Norwich. I really can't let you ride mine now, but if you are around a large in sizing, I'd be ok with you using mine for a fit. Maybe a ride come spring at Chenango. In fact, mine could possibly be for sale if the interest is there;-)

·
Registered
260 Posts
El_Scottamontes said:
They are rare in these parts:thumbsup:
hey scottamontes,
If you sport a scottish accent and a Saltamontes you might be the one to blame for a mild NY Ventana epidemic in recent years. I guess your Salt was the first one I saw in person a couple of years ago in...Ringwood? Blue...can't remember. But it had a Romic and it was right up my alley and I was planning to retire my Uzzi SL. Got an X5 shortly after that and then a Bruja, which inspired another X5 in our group and probably a Ciclon very soon...if it wasn't you, well, at least there are two Saltys in NY.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
El_Scottamontes said:
I'm 40 miles north in Norwich. I really can't let you ride mine now, but if you are around a large in sizing, I'd be ok with you using mine for a fit. Maybe a ride come spring at Chenango. In fact, mine could possibly be for sale if the interest is there;-)
Sounds good! Norwich isn't too far to drive, and I'm larger in sizing (most likely the 20 in frame). For sale eh? hmm... We'll have to work something out come springtime!

matt

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not me

Mine is red and I have never heard of Ringwood though I did have a Romic for a while.

Like I said, I saw a blue one at Highland Forest. The guy was driving a matching FJ! I qwas getting ready to get my ass handed to me in a race, so I never talked to him.

They are def not common or even known in these parts. I get asked often "what's a ventana?" as I am occasionally snubbed by Mass produced bike riders who feel they have reached the top of the food chain. Three years of real riding and every pivot bearing is still solid! There can just not be a better built frame in the same weight class. After 3 years of doing what mtn bikes do under a 220+ rider, I'd bet my frame is still stiffer and smoother than most mass produced bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.