Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the El Rey Suspension is the same as an El Salt? Looks the same to me and I'm considering a used El Rey but I only have experience with the El Salt. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The long legged guys (mtnbiker4life) like the 29ers, they sure roll over rock gardens but my boys just don't get the top tube clearance to make us feel secure. I am riding a Chucho, 29er 26er cross breed, quite possibly the ideal AM, XC ride of our era. Rolls the rocks, and keeps the standard gearing ratios due to the 26" rear wheel. But back to climbing. One cold winter day I and my sons and a few Ventanaphiles tried climbing a sandy hard packed hill. Only the 29er consistently made the climb as the rear wheel didn't spin out. My Salty, a Pantera, Chomuco and another Salty would spin out near the top.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Well the actual answer is no.

The 29'ers have their own rear triangles including rockers.

While the ride of the El Rey will mimic the Salty (Both 4" travel bikes with 2" stroke shocks) there will be slight differences as the sinusoidal curve that the rockers create will be different. (They have to be, the longer triangle of the 29'er create more leverage).

How much difference in the seat the suspension feels is hard to say, for me, I found El Rey's are similar to my Salt but for whatever reason I feel my Salt is plusher.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:

I stand corrected :thumbsup: So the rate of compression is addressed with the rockers verses the shock? I assumed the later. I would be curious to know how the El Rey's rockers change the performance of the Salty......Hmmm, the wonders of science.:smilewinkgrin: I'm working on some Ideal Gas Law calculations and test results..........:yawn: It's DMC

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
winchboy said:
The long legged guys (mtnbiker4life) like the 29ers, they sure roll over rock gardens but my boys just don't get the top tube clearance to make us feel secure. I am riding a Chucho, 29er 26er cross breed, quite possibly the ideal AM, XC ride of our era. Rolls the rocks, and keeps the standard gearing ratios due to the 26" rear wheel. But back to climbing. One cold winter day I and my sons and a few Ventanaphiles tried climbing a sandy hard packed hill. Only the 29er consistently made the climb as the rear wheel didn't spin out. My Salty, a Pantera, Chomuco and another Salty would spin out near the top.
I'm seriously considering the Chucho.............:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I ran a 26 wheel on my El Rey this past weekend, I won't do it again! Nothing against any wheel size!!! The longer chain stay (El Rey) did not seem to track well with the little wheel. Since I love my El Rey I'll just leave it alone and ride it as designed.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gonzo!

Did you notice any BOB when climbing at or neer your limit on either bike? I had 1 ride on the salt on one of my favorite trails and I liked it but the shock was set up for a different rider. I found it fast when you could spin but it bobbed too much on a very steep climb. I'm just wondering if my experience was out of the ordinary for the Salt or if the ElRey addressed it. Thanks for the help.
Ciclistagonzo said:

While the ride of the El Rey will mimic the Salty (Both 4" travel bikes with 2" stroke shocks) there will be slight differences as the sinusoidal curve that the rockers create will be different. (They have to be, the longer triangle of the 29'er create more leverage).

How much difference in the seat the suspension feels is hard to say, for me, I found El Rey's are similar to my Salt but for whatever reason I feel my Salt is plusher.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
The new gen RP23's or an older Pushed model will eliminate 95% of bob. In Pro3 my Salt feels dam near hardtail like. I tend to run it in Pro2 almost all the time. And I sure don't feel like it bobs too much to me, but that's soo subjective a topic.

I don't have extensive time on El Rey, just two test rides. Because of my distaste for the full 29'er (personal thing) I didn't go on any massive climbs, but the climbing I did do was fine, plenty of grip, and the bob was minimal on a Stock RP23. With the newer tech shocks the Ventana kinetics of squatting into it's travel on steep climbs has all but been eliminated. That was something I had to get used to when I switched from an 01 Salt to my 08 and when I got the Vanilla RC on my 01 Bruja Pushed last year. I think they both climber better than their predecessors.

-A

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Little help!

So how different did the 5" rockers and 120mm fork make the ElRey, both in climbing and decending? I had another test ride today, this time on the 15" instead of the 17" like last time and had a chance to ask Sherwood how interchangeble the longer rockers are, he said the 5" will work but thats about it and I'm still thinking about the El Rey but would like it to have a bit more travel, if it works well. Thanks.
Shavenyak said:
I ride an 08 El Rey with RP23 and there's no detectable bob on pro pedal 3. I just leave it in 3 and use it on for the climb, then turn it off for the downhill.

I run it with the 5" rockers and a Fox F120 front fork.

·
Registered
53 Posts
slowrider said:
So how different did the 5" rockers and 120mm fork make the ElRey, both in climbing and decending? I had another test ride today, this time on the 15" instead of the 17" like last time and had a chance to ask Sherwood how interchangeble the longer rockers are, he said the 5" will work but thats about it and I'm still thinking about the El Rey but would like it to have a bit more travel, if it works well. Thanks.
I wish I could help, but I ordered it with the 5" rockers and F120 fork, so I couldn't compare it with the 4" rockers. Plus I'm coming back after an 8 year hiatus and I only rode hardtail 26 inch bikes before.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
My personal opinions, ordered from Chad at Red Barn a 17 El Rey with 5" rockers mated with a WB F135 fork. I'm a heavy rider at 280lbs and average in skills. Bike worked fine until I started climbing steeper stuff. Be it skills or setup the front would lift on these steeper climbs. I then swapped back to the 4" rocker and a WB F110. I have been riding it like this for almost a year. Recently I wanted a little more travel and with the new forks available I purchased a 120 Reba 20 TA U-turn. U-turn and 5" rockers have been working outstanding lately. Shock is a pushed FloatR and at my weight the 5" rocker allows the suspension to work more smoothly through the travel.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I got a chance to ride an El Rey today (100mm front and rear). Very fun bike! It descended better than I thought. It was my first time riding the luge (trail in OC) and I felt confident carving up the trail. It climbed very, very well. Lots of traction and the front wheel stayed planted. I searched out some steep sections of trail to test it out. I never felt like I needed another gear climbing. I climbed in PP2 which was bob free and with the shock open which worked well for me too. It was setup with about 30% sag. I think this bike could be a really great tech climber - it just had that feel. I was very impressed overall with the bike.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for checking in.

I thought you had time on both.
Shavenyak said:
I wish I could help, but I ordered it with the 5" rockers and F120 fork, so I couldn't compare it with the 4" rockers. Plus I'm coming back after an 8 year hiatus and I only rode hardtail 26 inch bikes before.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So tbr2929

The adjustable travel fork made a huge difference on steep climbs? Or was it the extra A to C of the WB fork causing the problem? I'm 90 lbs lighter than you in a 2" shorter package but I had a similar experience with the front lifting due to the pre propedal Ventana squat on an El Salt. I like a longer travel bike but the forks seam to be lagging behind the frames a bit. I want a Talas 29r with maybe 140mm max.
trb2929 said:
My personal opinions, ordered from Chad at Red Barn a 17 El Rey with 5" rockers mated with a WB F135 fork. I'm a heavy rider at 280lbs and average in skills. Bike worked fine until I started climbing steeper stuff. Be it skills or setup the front would lift on these steeper climbs. I then swapped back to the 4" rocker and a WB F110. I have been riding it like this for almost a year. Recently I wanted a little more travel and with the new forks available I purchased a 120 Reba 20 TA U-turn. U-turn and 5" rockers have been working outstanding lately. Shock is a pushed FloatR and at my weight the 5" rocker allows the suspension to work more smoothly through the travel.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree

The El Rey does really well, especially on the sweeping curves of the Luge or Santiago Oaks. Climbing wise I debunked my own theories about the 29rs to a small extent, I managed to do the whole Luge loop in the middle ring which is something I've only done a handfull of times on a 26r. On my second demo (Ciclon) I could only make the road climb in the middle then dropped to granny. Of course I think I spent all I had getting the El Rey through the loop in the middle ring but I was struggling on th second loop.
LncNuvue said:
I got a chance to ride an El Rey today (100mm front and rear). Very fun bike! It descended better than I thought. It was my first time riding the luge (trail in OC) and I felt confident carving up the trail. It climbed very, very well. Lots of traction and the front wheel stayed planted. I searched out some steep sections of trail to test it out. I never felt like I needed another gear climbing. I climbed in PP2 which was bob free and with the shock open which worked well for me too. It was setup with about 30% sag. I think this bike could be a really great tech climber - it just had that feel. I was very impressed overall with the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.