Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the described difference be between the different rear 4" shocks offered for the El Rey (as they apply to this bike)? Is the RP23 a significant upgrade, or is it just a different feel? I do mostly XC stuff, and want something that's going to be a solid stable climber, and will sacrifice a little bit of plushness for that. Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
the 2 offered are the float R & RP23

One thing i will recommend is that if whatever shock you choose doesnt come with the high volume canister you should purchase one from PUSH. They run around $60 and make a world of difference in the tunability of the shock and they reduce the ramping up in the mid to upper regions of the shocks stroke. With that said, I have a rp23 with the PUSH high volume canister and usually switch between the off and lowest setting. But i think that with some patiences i could find a happy medium between the off and lowest setting with the float R.

Another option furhter down the line should you not be happy with the performance of the either shock is having it tuned to your weight and riding style by PUSH.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,792 Posts
I would spend the extra money for the RP23. It has three different propedal settings that will allow you to tune it to your rding style. If you order the RP23 you can specify high volume air cannister for the same price. I have a RP23 High volume shock on my El Ciclon and it has allowed me to fine tune the suspension to my riding style.

Bottom line it's worth the cost to upgrade......to the RP23.

·
1,802 Posts
My Ciclon came with the RP23 large can upgrade too. If you are going to stay with an air shock, it is the only option in my opinion. I just had a friend with a Salty buy my large can RP23 to replace his Float R and from what he says, there is a world of difference in ride quality (much better w/RP23).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Looks like I'll go with the large canister RP23, and look to the push option from there if I'm looking for a little something more.

Thanks!

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,792 Posts
IWalker said:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Looks like I'll go with the large canister RP23, and look to the push option from there if I'm looking for a little something more.

Thanks!
One more thing I think the 2008 RP23 is on the market......it has the forward facing air valve. I would ask if that's available at the time of order.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
One more thing I think the 2008 RP23 is on the market......it has the forward facing air valve. I would ask if that's available at the time of order.
Yeah, they're available aftermarket, Fox has been shipping them for a few weeks.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts