Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 19" El Rey. I spent the winter building it up and waitng "paitently" to ride it. The trails are now fairly dry and I have been able to get three rides in. I have to say that this bike exceeds all of my expectations!

I am having a difficult time getting the RP23 fully dialed in and I am wondering what people out there are running for pressure, rebound etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I weigh 190 all geared up.

I am having a hard time getting pictures uploaded, but when I figure it out I will post them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
What problem are you having?

My RP3 on my 05 Salty came way too stiff for my weight and needed to be revalved by Push to function properly (i.e. get full travel). I think it's safe to say that the Ventana's low leverage ratios make shock tuning a little trickier than some, but the rising rate design allows for a softer setup without the fear of bottoming out the shock.

I think you'll find that Sherwood's bikes ride better with roughly 30% sag rather than the hallowed 25% so often touted.

LSWillia said:
Over the winter I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 19" El Rey. I spent the winter building it up and waitng "paitently" to ride it. The trails are now fairly dry and I have been able to get three rides in. I have to say that this bike exceeds all of my expectations!

I am having a difficult time getting the RP23 fully dialed in and I am wondering what people out there are running for pressure, rebound etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I weigh 190 all geared up.

I am having a hard time getting pictures uploaded, but when I figure it out I will post them.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm about 200lbs and can't remember exactly what pressure I am running on the El Rey. All I can say is that I basically have the shock set pretty soft to the point that it moves through 95+% of its stroke when taking the bigger hits on the trails I frequent. the 30% sag the other poster mentioned is probably right around where I am at too.

Set up this way, the travel is incredibly smooth through its travel, but does resist bottoming out. I do use the highest Propedal setting on climbs to resist bobbing.

Rebound= 1-2 clicks from full fast.

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigdrunk said:
I'm about 200lbs and can't remember exactly what pressure I am running on the El Rey. All I can say is that I basically have the shock set pretty soft to the point that it moves through 95+% of its stroke when taking the bigger hits on the trails I frequent. the 30% sag the other poster mentioned is probably right around where I am at too.

Set up this way, the travel is incredibly smooth through its travel, but does resist bottoming out. I do use the highest Propedal setting on climbs to resist bobbing.

Rebound= 1-2 clicks from full fast.
I'll try increasing the sag a bit and speeding up the rebound... I currently have it set to 25% sag and 3 clicks from full fast. I rode at a place on Sunday that is pretty technical and I noticed the ride was a bit firm and I was not getting all of the travel from the shock. It sounds like following your lead will solve this problem.

One other question- Do people out there flip the shock to get better access to the propedal knob? You have to be a contortionist to get at it the way it is comes positioned.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I tell ya, I just leave it....

....I've learned to make adjustments on the fly while the shock is in the valve-out position. I find I'm less proned to knocking the PP lever when it's not out in the open.

LSWillia said:
I'll try increasing the sag a bit and speeding up the rebound... I currently have it set to 25% sag and 3 clicks from full fast. I rode at a place on Sunday that is pretty technical and I noticed the ride was a bit firm and I was not getting all of the travel from the shock. It sounds like following your lead will solve this problem.

One other question- Do people out there flip the shock to get better access to the propedal knob? You have to be a contortionist to get at it the way it is comes positioned.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Yeah please post some pictures of your new El Rey ! You might already know this but Ventana plans to offer an adapter ( space noodle) so you can mount the RP23 with the propedal control lever facing out and still be able to fill the air valve ! Ventana FS 29ers Rock ! :thumbsup: TIG.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
On a 17" El Rey..

same weight. internal propedal setting is "low", Psi 100-105# I started with the rp23 in #1 propedal mode. Rebound two clicks from full fast. With the OE rp23 air cansiter i was not getting use of the last 1/4" of shock stroke. Last weekend i installed the larger air canister but have yet to get a ride in on it. we shall see..

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Very interested to hear your thoughts on the large canister once you get a few rides in.

jrm said:
same weight. internal propedal setting is "low", Psi 100-105# I started with the rp23 in #1 propedal mode. Rebound two clicks from full fast. With the OE rp23 air cansiter i was not getting use of the last 1/4" of shock stroke. Last weekend i installed the larger air canister but have yet to get a ride in on it. we shall see..

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally some pictures...

Here are some pictures of the El Rey. I am happy with the way the build turned out... particularly the I9 with Arch rims and the Hope Minis. I can't tell you guys how much I love this bike!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts