Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering an El Rey and have a few questions.

  • How aggressively can it be ridden in rough and down steeps?
  • How efficient of a pedaler & climber is it compared to other Ventana's specifically an El Ciclon?
  • What fork length is best? I was thinking 120 Reba w/Maxle, I'm a loyal RockShox guy. 20mm only for me. Would a 120 sacrafice climbing performance? I think I can setup the fork at 110mm too?
  • Any input would be great related or unrelated to my questions.

Thanks
Lnc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
The El Ray is not very good on steep descents unless it's set up more like an all mountain bike.
I have an El Ray with 5" rockers, Manitou Minute 120 TA fork, 70mm stem,and 28" wide bars. I would say if you want more of an all mountain setup go with the 5" rockers and 120mm fork. For more of a XC firm ride go with 4" rockers and 100mm fork. A 120 fork with 4'' rockers would not climb as well on the steep climbs. I have found that the El Ray descends and handles real good with a short 70-90mm stem, 28" wide bars and extra air psi in the fork. This set up feels like a totally different bike than the original setup I had. I really like my El Ray for the area I ride (south Orange County CA.). There's lot's of steep technical trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. What's your BB height with 5" rockers and 120 fork? To get 5" all that needs to be done is the rocker swap right? Edit: One more, did going to the 5" rockers and 120 fork change the head angle at all?

Thanks

patkel said:
The El Ray is not very good on steep descents unless it's set up more like an all mountain bike.
I have an El Ray with 5" rockers, Manitou Minute 120 TA fork, 70mm stem,and 28" wide bars. I would say if you want more of an all mountain setup go with the 5" rockers and 120mm fork. For more of a XC firm ride go with 4" rockers and 100mm fork. A 120 fork with 4'' rockers would not climb as well on the steep climbs. I have found that the El Ray descends and handles real good with a short 70-90mm stem, 28" wide bars and extra air psi in the fork. This set up feels like a totally different bike than the original setup I had. I really like my El Ray for the area I ride (south Orange County CA.). There's lot's of steep technical trails.
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
LncNuvue said:
I'm considering an El Rey and have a few questions.
  • How aggressively can it be ridden in rough and down steeps?

    Very. You will be killing tires long before the frame lets up on you.
  • How efficient of a pedaler & climber is it compared to other Ventana's specifically an El Ciclon?

    Pedalling is the same, but rolling and climbing are far better.
  • What fork length is best? I was thinking 120 Reba w/Maxle, I'm a loyal RockShox guy. 20mm only for me. Would a 120 sacrafice climbing performance? I think I can setup the fork at 110mm too?

    The longer the better, but at least 120mm IMO
  • .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
LncNuvue said:
Thanks. What's your BB height with 5" rockers and 120 fork? To get 5" all that needs to be done is the rocker swap right? Edit: One more, did going to the 5" rockers and 120 fork change the head angle at all?

Thanks
My bottom bracket hight is 14" measured to the center of BB. with the 4" travel setup it's 13.4". Yes for 5" the rockers are the only change. You can order the El Ray with the 5" rockers and you can also spec custom geometry. A lower BB, lower top tube,( mine has that) and maybe a slacker head angle could be a good set up, just more $. I don't think the head angle changes with the 5" rockers and 120mm fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
I really like my El Rey(s). It climbs AND descends very good. It pedals very well w/ hardly any bob (Pushed Float). I have my new Rey setup w/ a 120 Reba w/ Maxel...and it still climbs like a goat. This bike replaced a Turner 5 Spot since it does everything so well :)

Now for the spam! I have 2 El Reys, so one needs to go:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=29245&cat=38
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,287 Posts
have no idea...all the words in your questions, ie, "aggressively", "steeps", "efficient", etc...are entirely subjective so cant help you nor can anybody else

my El Rey is by quite a margin, the single best bike i have ever owned...in other words, if i could only have one bike it would be my choice for sure. Its set up with 4" front and back which is perfect IMHO.

i am able to easily stand and hammer on the climbs whenever i want and never feel like i want a different rear shock....i have no idea what my sag is in either the shock or fork and dont care...it rocks however i have it setup and i dont have a lockout nor is it an RP23 (its a Float)

dont want to sound like the typical douche mtbr poster who does nothing more than cut and paste previously posted cliches copied out of magazine reviews but suffice it to say the bike is great, period. I still own it which says a lot
 

·
T , V , & K Rider
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i am able to easily stand and hammer on the climbs whenever i want and never feel like i want a different rear shock....i have no idea what my sag is in either the shock or fork and dont care...it rocks however i have it setup and i dont have a lockout nor is it an RP23 (its a Float
No doubt.......I'm guessing a Float with PUSH mods ! :devil:

I was using a RP3 with PUSH mods on my 06 Capitan and I was very happy with it but after using a RP23 on another bike I prefer the RP23 bcuz it allows you to bypass the propedal switching the lever to the open position ! Just my opinion.........of course I don't have my own blog so what do I know ! :D TIG.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,287 Posts
TIGMAN said:
No doubt.......I'm guessing a Float with PUSH mods ! :devil:

I was using a RP3 with PUSH mods on my 06 Capitan and I was very happy with it but after using a RP23 on another bike I prefer the RP23 bcuz it allows you to bypass the propedal switching the lever to the open position ! Just my opinion.........of course I don't have my own blog so what do I know ! :D TIG.
good point...since we dont have blogs, really our posts should be taken with a huge grain of salt. and yeah, it is PUSHed
 

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
FoShizzle said:
my El Rey is by quite a margin, the single best bike i have ever owned...in other words, if i could only have one bike it would be my choice for sure. Its set up with 4" front and back which is perfect IMHO.
Just how many bikes have you owned in the last five years?........

FoShizzle said:
i am able to easily stand and hammer on the climbs whenever i want and never feel like i want a different rear shock....i have no idea what my sag is in either the shock or fork and dont care...it rocks however i have it setup and i dont have a lockout nor is it an RP23 (its a Float)
IMHO, the Pushed Float R is just as good as the Pushed RP23. I have both and the Float R is a solid performer for budget minded rider. Although I didn't ride the Float stock....since it went straight to Push.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input folks. My Ciclon has a PUSHed RP23. I pretty much only use the PP on smoother terrain but I certainly like having it there as an option.

Sounds like the El Rey is quite versatile and can be XC OR Trail/Light AM oriented with tuning and setup. I'm facinated by the big wheels and ventana quality so might as well put them together.
 

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
LncNuvue said:
Thanks for the input folks. My Ciclon has a PUSHed RP23. I pretty much only use the PP on smoother terrain but I certainly like having it there as an option.

Sounds like the El Rey is quite versatile and can be XC OR Trail/Light AM oriented with tuning and setup. I'm facinated by the big wheels and ventana quality so might as well put them together.
That's what I roll with on my Ciclon. If you're interested in the 29er thing.....might want to take a look at "The Mutt" or El Chucho 26 rear and 29 front. It's gaining in popularity......not that I am a trend setter but I'm considering it.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,287 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
Just how many bikes have you owned in the last five years?........
too difficult to determine...however, in the past 12 months (actually 13 months now) I have purchased 6 new bikes...and have gotten rid of 3 and I now have only 4 in my garage (plus BMX bike i purchased this past year). my new years resolution is to not buy or sell any so that was the old me
 

·
T , V , & K Rider
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
LncNuvue said:
Thanks for the input folks. My Ciclon has a PUSHed RP23. I pretty much only use the PP on smoother terrain but I certainly like having it there as an option.
Exactly right...........well designed FS frames work quite nicely without a lot of pro pedal input IMO and like you say it is still nice to have the PP option in certain situations ! :) TIG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
second the chucho

i rode my el rey for two years and thought it was the best ever for me (6' 3") how ever its no secret that i shy"d away from the steeps ( hard to wieght the rear wheel ) . LSS , I got a CHUCHO !!!! wow !!! much better ... steeps are back on my plate . happy hunting .
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
That's what I roll with on my Ciclon. If you're interested in the 29er thing.....might want to take a look at "The Mutt" or El Chucho 26 rear and 29 front. It's gaining in popularity......not that I am a trend setter but I'm considering it.
Hey you aint callen my Barney a 'Mutt" now are you? Thems fighten words son!:madmax: :D

I'm absolutely LOVING my Chucho.

At 6'2" I never felt I could truly muscle and flick around the El Capitan that I rode. I wasn't at all excited about how hard to had to try to get the back end to drift and cut around corners. Those 29ers just like to stick.
My style is a bit more thrash than mellow. I was very sceptical about the goofy mixing of wheel sizes....that was until I tried it. Wow! It truly was everything I wanted.
Super planted from end.
Back end still scoot around corners/rocks/ etc.
Waay stable in the air jumping.

....oh now wait a minute....the OP was talking about a Capitan, not a Chucho.....ok...thread back on track now. :madman: What can I say, I love my Chucho!:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did pick up a used El Rey frame. I should receive it next week. I'll probably start out with a 120 Reba Race (U-Turn?) and 4" rockers and tune it from there. I hear your input on the Chucho and did consider it. Since I have bomb proof 26er, 5.5" setup for aggressive trail stuff I'd rather go big wheels front and back so I have two distinctly different platforms. Thanks for all the input.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top