Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Baller/Biker
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has this frame other than Big Drunk? (big Drunk what's the weight of your build?)
How does it compare to the EL Salt? Better? Different I know but where's the feed back for this frame? I'm ready for the jump to Full suspension but now all of this 29" talk is making me consider the large wheel option. I grabbed an EL Chiquillo in the summer but wish I had purchased the 29" hardtail since lots of riders in my area are now going that direction. I knew going into this Chiquillo that I would be looking for a full springer in the Winter but NOW...Ventana has a Large wheel option on the Frame I was going to choose (EL salt) What would you Ventana riders do? Salt or REY? Need to make a decision soon..this money is burning a hole in my pocket!! If you guys have builds already tested and tried list them or send me a mail/pic thanks gang in advance.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Here's a link to the El Rey pro reviews done by MTBR:
http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/29er_fs_shootout_bike_ventana.shtml#bike_ventana

I don't have an El Rey, but I do have an El Cap which is basically the same bike. The El Cap is a fantastic ride, and is the best 29er I've owned, hands down.

Compared to the Salt in a nutshell: The El Cap is more stable and rolls over everything with ease. The 29" wheels hold momentum and make it easy to flow down the trail. Technical climbs are much easier. Long grinding climbs are a little bit slower. Cornering is about the same, maybe a hair slower on the El Cap. If I had to do it again, I would choose the El Cap over the El Salt in a heartbeat.

The biggest drawback of the El Cap (and all 29ers) is lack of fork choices. Basically you can go with RS Reba, White Bros, Maverick or a Cdale Lefty.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've got an El Rey and I don't know why the heck I waited so long to get a Ventana, was going to pull the trigger on a custom Salty, but wanted to try a 29er. Being 6'2" why the heck not give it a go since the big wheels "roll better" and for my endurance type racing this could be the ticket. My 26er shopping list has included Ellsworth truths (5 in the past 10 years) ID and a Moment. Blur LT, RMB slayer, '07 Intense 5.5, Titus moto lite.
Kept only the 5.5 and bought a smaller motolite for the TW (trophy wife) since she liked the color.

Build kit as follows on my custom geo El Rey:
-large frame 24.25tt, no gusset, electric super dust, 4"travel quad bearings, RP23
-black king headset
-WB magic 100, have the pace 100 ordered as a backup, tried to order the U.S.E in November but no answer from USE.
-still working with the cockpit-thompson X4 110x0 vs. raceface 110x6, raceface dues XC bar, thompsom straight post, may have to use the set back dues, just tweaking now to get the right feel.
-selle saddle, bontrager foam grips.
-salsa delgado rims, schwalbe tires, waiting for the smallblock 8's to arrive, schwalbe tubes 145-155g each, Sapim CXray spokes.
-'07 XTR with 180/160 rotors. 160 works fine for the front but at 3am in a 24 race 1 finger braking is essential for energy conservation, seperate shifter/ brake levers, 180mm cranks, 12-34 cassette, 970 pedals also (I've always been a ATAC or egg beater guy and these are my first set of shimano pedals since the 747's. Take a look at them because they have a shorter spindle to lessen the Q angle-important with external bearings, I didn't think this was an issue but they are about 1/4" shorter than crank bros). Removed and replaced all the XTR bearings with ceramic (hubs, pedals, rear derraileur and bottom bracket).
The King is my first 29er so I don't have anything else to compare it to other than the 26ers above.
I'll give an indepth ride report when the snow melts off the road a bit more. Lately it's been way too cold to ride but she's a hotty and also anorexic at 26.33lbs!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I can compare my El Rey with my old 5-Spot. I would take the El Rey over the Spot hands down. Mine is built up a little porky at the moment with a Lefty, Gravity Dropper, heavy wide aluminum bars, Times, heavy seat, etc, etc. Mine ended up around 29.5lbs for an XL frame. Frame alone was 6.75lbs. I could EASILY get it down to low 28lb range with lighter parts I have laying around (Reba, Martas, Moots post, carbon bars, lighter pedals and seat).

Get the El Rey and don't look back. Its a bruiser with the Lefty.

·
Baller/Biker
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still up in the air!!

Thanks guys...i'm still undecided on this for now..(the SALT is MAJOR and I no it) The EL REY is not proven yet... the issue is I cant keep buying bikes to keep up with the Jones gang or the Fo gang ;) Ive even looked at the Flux and fourstroke 01 softtails and still cant make a decision all because of this REY.. I will have to say that the 26lbs build above is impressive since I do want a bike I can toss around on the trails. I think I need to ride a 29" & 26" to make the choice easier if you guys have anything else post it for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a semi-custom El Capitan which is essentially the same as the El Rey. I had it made before the El Rey came out and I believe it is the very close to the same frame. Mine is an XL that weighs 6.75 lbs. I am 6'-4" and I really appreciate the 29" wheels for the fit. I am much more comfortable on this bike than my other bikes. I had a Flux and 5-Spot before. The weight of the El Cap built up is about the same as the 5-Spot built up. The difference being 4" of travel front and rear on the El Cap vs. 5" on the 5-Spot. The only thing I really miss about the 26" bikes is the forks. The Reba is a good fork, but I just wish it had more travel. I don't know how tall you are, but if you are on the tall side I would definitely recommend trying the 29" bike.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
mnoel said:
I have a semi-custom El Capitan which is essentially the same as the El Rey. I had it made before the El Rey came out and I believe it is the very close to the same frame. Mine is an XL that weighs 6.75 lbs. I am 6'-4" and I really appreciate the 29" wheels for the fit. I am much more comfortable on this bike than my other bikes. I had a Flux and 5-Spot before. The weight of the El Cap built up is about the same as the 5-Spot built up. The difference being 4" of travel front and rear on the El Cap vs. 5" on the 5-Spot. The only thing I really miss about the 26" bikes is the forks. The Reba is a good fork, but I just wish it had more travel. I don't know how tall you are, but if you are on the tall side I would definitely recommend trying the 29" bike.
I'm using the Reba 29er fork as well on the Capitan and it is a good fork but like you say I wish the fork manufactures would get with it and offer more 29er forks and options like adjustable travel , longer travel versions, and thru axle ones ! I really don't get why they are dragging there feet ! :confused: TIG.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
TIGMAN said:
I'm using the Reba 29er fork as well on the Capitan and it is a good fork but like you say I wish the fork manufactures would get with it and offer more 29er forks and options like adjustable travel , longer travel versions, and thru axle ones ! I really don't get why they are dragging there feet ! :confused: TIG.
I feel the same way about the fork offerings for the 29er bikes......that's why I decided to run my El Padrino rigid. It was a cheap way to get into a 29er to really decide if I wanted to head in that direction. I'm happy with the ride that's for sure. I will not be replacing my 26ers any time soon.....but 29ers definitely have there place.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
I feel the same way about the fork offerings for the 29er bikes......that's why I decided to run my El Padrino rigid. It was a cheap way to get into a 29er to really decide if I wanted to head in that direction. I'm happy with the ride that's for sure. I will not be replacing my 26ers any time soon.....but 29ers definitely have there place.
Agreed ! The 29er is here to stay ! :thumbsup: TIG.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
el rey here..

Idon t know how much mine weighs. But like big drunk i found the handling simularities very much like the 5 spot it replaced. The impacts the the lower center of gravity, tad longer wheelbase and 29" geometry have on the bikes handling are noticably improved. Lastly it really doesnt feel like a larger bike either. Its nimble , climbs well and descends eral well. I only have 1 good ride in it and am still making small tweaks here and there but the ways its coming together tells me ive met my match....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.