Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

El Prieto: Conditions Report

821 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  hecklermtbiker 
#1 ·
Man, am I an animal? I had the opertunity to get in a ride on awesome singletrack 2 days in a row now. LOL!!

All joking around aside, rode El Prieto this afternoon. I believe that I read somewhere that CORBA was up there this past weekend to do some work on the trail system. Thanks for that guys, looks like you worked your tails off! WOW!

Lots and lots of fixed or cleaned up sections along the trail. Still kinda soft, maybe another week of riders going through there will pack it down a bit more, I'm not complaining though.

Some of the sections I usually ride were blocked off and covered with cut brush, perhaps those sections were heavily eroded???

Anyway, get out there and help pack this ride down!

A-hawg

#2 ·
Bootleg sections closed

Please do not ride closed sections.

If you have ridden El P since this Saturday you'll notice some changes in the form of blockages to some of the "lower trails". These trails appeared overnight more than several years ago. They are being closed off because they are not authorized trails and could result in lawsuits against the forest service and lead to costly litigation and closure of this great trail system.

Please stay on the main trail.

If the blockages are removed and you run into an option, the following advice should help you stay on the original authorized trail.

When in doubt, go up. The trails that climb either side of the canyon are the original trail that should be followed.

On tight switch backs, take the switchbacks. The straight lines past the switchbacks are bootleg sections that are part of the problem we are trying to manage. Do not cut the switchbacks.

If you have any questions about these closures or would like to find out how you can get involved with future trail work, please contact Howard Okomoto (ANF Volunteer Coordinator) at hokamoto@fs.fed.us or the Angeles National forest Service at 626) 574-5200.

Also check the CORBA website for upcoming trail maintenance days at http://www.corbamtb.com/programs/trail-crew.shtml

Enjoy your ride!

#3 ·
ambassadorhawg said:
Man, am I an animal? I had the opertunity to get in a ride on awesome singletrack 2 days in a row now. LOL!!

Some of the sections I usually ride were blocked off and covered with cut brush, perhaps those sections were heavily eroded???

Anyway, get out there and help pack this ride down!

A-hawg
FYI-the blocked off sections where "Cut-Thru" trails. The Original EL P is now restored except for one last upper trail that needs to be shored up with a retaining wall.Thanks CORBA for keeping one of the first MWBA projects going. Yes it has more switchbacks a short climb and a little more technical but it's more bang for your buck. Now lets not skid and keep it from getting loose and channeled.

#4 ·
huh?

I rode El Prieto today. I don't get it. There was a bunch of trail debris scattered at various forks in the trail. Why were these routes vandalized? Who says they're "unauthorized"? The trail doesn't seem "restored" it's choked.
I'd love to re-live the good-ol days when riding a rigid bike down that trail was fun, but those days are long gone. Maximum suspension and easy access to this trail (espicially the "original route") give it today's ripped up, chatterbump feeling.
Simply throwing some branches around isn't restoring anything.

#5 ·
Why were these routes vandalized?

mooncrest said:
I rode El Prieto today. I don't get it. There was a bunch of trail debris scattered at various forks in the trail. Why were these routes vandalized? Who says they're "unauthorized"? The trail doesn't seem "restored" it's choked.
I'd love to re-live the good-ol days when riding a rigid bike down that trail was fun, but those days are long gone. Maximum suspension and easy access to this trail (espicially the "original route") give it today's ripped up, chatterbump feeling.
Simply throwing some branches around isn't restoring anything.
Why were these routes vandalized? That's not vandals thats trail maintenance. IMO this trail is really over burdened and anything that slows riders down or makes em' ride with care is a good thing. The old (original) route is what should be. Any cuts should be avoided, hikers respected and be cool to anyone you see. This our playground and I don't want to get thrown out. Respect the area and it will be there for all of us. Vandalized?... not at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.