Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing new Truvativ Stylo 1.1 SS cranks on my ElMariachi.
Truvativ's instructions says to put 1 spacer on each side of the (68mm) bb.

Question: should the drive side be flush up against the BB cup? Reason being the crank spindle butts up against the non-drive side BB cup and leaves about 5mm gap on the driveside.

Doesn't seem right or is it?

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guitar Ted said:
Your spacers are correct, but I am having difficulty understanding your issue. By "crank spindle" are you referring to the crank arm? If so, are you saying that the crank arm is not clearing the EBB shell?
The crank arm/ring is attached to the spindle.
When I insert spindle into drive side BB cup I push it all the way through then it stops short from being flush.

Perhaps the non-drive side BB cup bearing is the wrong diameter?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
So you are saying that your TruVativ crank isn't inserting all the way into the BB cup, eh? Using TruVativ/SRAM BB I assume? If so, it should go. I did note on SRAM's site that there is a difference in diameter in the plastic inserts that fit around the BB spindle and are part of the BB cups. If you happened to have the plastic inserts reversed, this might cause the issue.

Here is SRAM's URL that takes you to the technical manual: http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/truvativ/dealers/TM_MY09_E.pdf

Otherwise I see no reason that your parts shouldn't work. I know that in the shop I sometimes have to grease the spindle and "pop" it gently with a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet to get the spindle all the way through.

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GT,
thanks for the info (link). It looks like I'm missing the bearing seals (page 8 pic 2) with my crankset. The instructions that came with cranks doesn't show those seals. mmm

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Consider this...

Since it is an El Mariachi, it has an EBB.

Perhaps the EBB is installed backwards, on a Shimano or Race Face crankset this really shouldn't make too much of a difference. However on a Truvativ it will.

Double check that your cups are on the correct side, they should be marked "Drive side" and "Non-drive side". The EBB might have an "R" stamped on it, but that actually goes on the non-drive side of the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Consider this...

Since it is an El Mariachi, it has an EBB.

Perhaps the EBB is installed backwards, on a Shimano or Race Face crankset this really shouldn't make too much of a difference. However on a Truvativ it will.

Double check that your cups are on the correct side, they should be marked "Drive side" and "Non-drive side". The EBB might have an "R" stamped on it, but that actually goes on the non-drive side of the bike.
Just purchased an El Mariachi frame with the Bushnell EBB. Took it to the shop to get it faced and chased. They told me that the EBB was installed backwards like you are saying above. I have a Race Face crankset. Why won't it matter if it's installed backwards? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.