Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
I just saw one today and I have to say, on looks alone I almost bought it!
It was their blue with matching stem and fork, plus blue ano binder and qr's.
They also are using X-9 shifter & dérailleur, bb7's, oh course Salsa Delgado rims.
I am not too sure about Salsa hubs & seatpost though, and that seat looks like it may suck.

$1550 though, not too bad. Is that a good price for one?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
F5000sl said:
$1550 though, not too bad. Is that a good price for one?
I'd say most definitely. I built one up similar to their complete build, only with XT hubs, moots seatpost, CK headset, Juicy 7's which I already owned (not part of price comarison) and thomson stem/mary bars. I spent WAY more money than the retail on this build. I could have bought this build and swapped out for what I ended up with still for less. I built it up last fall well before it's release so it's the price I payed for being impatient. :D

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Wow, these deals are getting better. I think the local shop might be willing to hook a brother up.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I saw three last night at the local Eric's Bike shop and they're priced at ~$1500 each. Not bad for a freakin heavy rigid bike.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
xJAHx said:
Before buying the El Mariachi LE SS last week, I thought about the EM Complete. If you do not mind buying online, amcycle has them for $1425 + $14 for shipping on ebay*:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-Salsa-El-M...ryZ98083QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

*I am in no way connected with this seller, and I do not know if they are a legit Salsa dealer.

JAH
Gotta love the heading for that eBay listing:

You will love this bike

Serious Buyers only.

SURLY EL MARIACHI Large 20" BIKE 1x9

Surly?:madman:

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Any estimate on what the weight might be fore a med or large?
In the 1x9 rigid fork format, for the 19/20" frame I hefted, it was easily >27lbs. Don't get me wrong, It was pretty, had nice components and I'm sure rides really well on trails, but like my GF Rig, it's a heavy bike.

What the heck is up with that anyway? I know 700c/29er hoops & tires are bigger than a 26" but shoot... why do the stock 29ers weigh so dang much?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Medium

Caffeine Powered said:
In the 1x9 rigid fork format, for the 19/20" frame I hefted, it was easily >27lbs. Don't get me wrong, It was pretty, had nice components and I'm sure rides really well on trails, but like my GF Rig, it's a heavy bike.

What the heck is up with that anyway? I know 700c/29er hoops & tires are bigger than a 26" but shoot... why do the stock 29ers weigh so dang much?
I weighed a medium (appoximately an 18") on a digital scale at work and it weighed 25.6 lbs w/o pedals.

Large will be heavier than this, but I did not have one to weigh. I'd estimate 26lb, give or take a 1/3 for mfg tolerances for each component.

Jason

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'd still like to buy one soon. If the 20" weighs about 27 lbs with pedals, I really don't think of it as heavy. It's a steel framed 29er ya know. Although I have not ridden it yet, I "followed" one last year in Oregon and it seemed to cut a nice line. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Mine weighs just shy of 29lbs with all the gears and some heavy(DT340/TK7.1 wheels, Kenda Nev's, Oury Lock-on's, Serfas bar-ends, etc), some light (XTR brakes, Monkeylite SL bars, the Ti-railed WTB Race saddle,etc) parts. I plan on racing it with lighter tires, but not many other changes- but I won't be doing any races that take less than 6 hours to finish.

At +/- 1500 dollars retail, you cannot expect a light parts kit. If that's what you want, buy the frame only and build it up yourself. I'm guessing that you could easily get to a respectable 24 lbs or less with lighter wheels, brakes, and a few other parts. But, remember, the versatility of the EBB option adds frame weight, as does a frame being built "moto."
If you lightweight is primary goal, wait for the Mamasita, it looks sweet.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.