Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
dumbaSS said:
I didn't know they're selling it as a 1x9... is that a first?
Well, first complete 29er Salsa has sold at all, so yeah.

They are big on the 1x9. I actually did a similar build just before they announced this one last fall. here it is....

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Read in another post, Jason of Salsa said that QBP just has old pics right now of the bike, and that it will in fact be like the catalog says with the matching stem. JensonUSA just simply uses a mirror image site of QBP to sell some of it's parts, a lot of shops such as AEBike do this as well.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Sweet then!

chequamagon said:
Read in another post, Jason of Salsa said that QBP just has old pics right now of the bike, and that it will in fact be like the catalog says with the matching stem. JensonUSA just simply uses a mirror image site of QBP to sell some of it's parts, a lot of shops such as AEBike do this as well.
Jenson is selling it for $100 bucks less than elsewhere and shipping it for free too!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Totally new the 29er scene, but have been posting questions and getting some great info on this forum. This Salsa ELM set up is almost exactly what I was thinking of building with a Redline MC29 frame.

Is $1500 a good deal for this frame and build? Anyone have any thoughts on the ELM frame durability and ride? Mud'n'sweat, how do you like your ride?

·
Registered
34 Posts
dilemma

Seems a great deal to me.

I'm looking at doing a budget build 1x9 or SS starting with a KM/Qball/Dambala with similar components as the Salsa EM. Even with some cut rate eBay finds & sales, I'm in the $1300 ballpark.

Puts me in a dilemma.
The 1x9 EM makes too much economic sense.
The only reason for me to continue considering building something else is the satisfaction of my first buildup, and use of a few parts in my build bin.

decisions, decisions...

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
hilljack said:
Seems a great deal to me.

I'm looking at doing a budget build 1x9 or SS starting with a KM/Qball/Dambala with similar components as the Salsa EM. Even with some cut rate eBay finds & sales, I'm in the $1300 ballpark.

Puts me in a dilemma.
The 1x9 EM makes too much economic sense.
The only reason for me to continue considering building something else is the satisfaction of my first buildup, and use of a few parts in my build bin.

decisions, decisions...
Not sure if you are shooting for disc brakes or V brakes, but Bike29.com (forum sponsor) has a KM 1x9 for $1150. They can also substitute parts to your liking for the $$$ adjustments.

Either way - the El M and the KM 1x9 builds certainly look like nice price point purchases (spoken from a guy who has built 4 bikes up beginning with the frame only and knowing all the $$$ involved in collecting the wheels, forks and parts).

BB

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Nice!

PaMtbRider said:
I just saw that www.Jensonusa.com has El Mariachi complete bikes listed on their website for $1500 plus free shipping. I bet they sell out of their initial order pretty quickly.
Slight hijack:

Did you notice the Gary Fisher Cobia bike for $709? I mostly noticed it had a Rock Shox Tora 29" fork? Prolly an OEM thing, but that could mean a decent cheap 29" fork.

·
Registered
798 Posts
A couple of comments

Yes, the bike did become available yesterday. It does come with the painted to match stem, blue salsa skewers, new X.9 etc. We spec'd this bike how we want to ride it, not to meet a specific price.

It is available through a lot of places, but Salsa would really encourage you to get one through one of our authorized dealers. The dealer list can be found on our site. www.salsacycles.com and click the dealer tab. You will get the best service from one of these fine dealers.

If you are looking for size small, you will only be able to purchase one through one of our dealers as we have limited availability of this size and we are restricting purchasing to our dealers.

A couple of notes, our new complete bike policy is being sent out this week about requirements. It requires any seller of our complete bikes to do full assembly in the shop. This means that if you buy one from a shop, it must be fully assembled at the shop. If the shop ships it, it must be built first and put in their own shipping container or they are in violation of our policy and will be restricted from purchasing future complete bicycles.

I'm sure some of you will flame Salsa for this or have very different opinions. I just want to be open and honest about our policy because it is important that our complete bikes are assembled and prepped by an authorized dealer. Additionally, we want to support those who support us.

Jason

·
Registered
599 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Yes, the bike did become available yesterday. It does come with the painted to match stem, blue salsa skewers, new X.9 etc. We spec'd this bike how we want to ride it, not to meet a specific price.

It is available through a lot of places, but Salsa would really encourage you to get one through one of our authorized dealers. The dealer list can be found on our site. www.salsacycles.com and click the dealer tab. You will get the best service from one of these fine dealers.

If you are looking for size small, you will only be able to purchase one through one of our dealers as we have limited availability of this size and we are restricting purchasing to our dealers.

A couple of notes, our new complete bike policy is being sent out this week about requirements. It requires any seller of our complete bikes to do full assembly in the shop. This means that if you buy one from a shop, it must be fully assembled at the shop. If the shop ships it, it must be built first and put in their own shipping container or they are in violation of our policy and will be restricted from purchasing future complete bicycles.

I'm sure some of you will flame Salsa for this or have very different opinions. I just want to be open and honest about our policy because it is important that our complete bikes are assembled and prepped by an authorized dealer. Additionally, we want to support those who support us.

Jason
Will the complete bikes only come in blue or is that light green colour available?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:

Jason
Jason, this is definitely a bummer as many are more confident in their own wrenching skills than some of the rush jobs that can come from a shop (obviously this is not all shops, just some). Honestly, it just seems so against the vision I have in my mind behind the ideals of the Salsa brand. Just doesn't seem right to endorse such a policy from such a homegrown company.

Regardless, I still love my El M and all of the products Salsa put's out. I'm proud to own one. Cheers.

As for the questions on ride quality and value of this complete build. I personally feels it's extremely well priced for the spec'd build. Dollar for dollar it is right up there with any of the best value competitors. The ride quality is top notch and the frame is quite compliant yet still pretty stiff laterally for great tracking. My recommendation..... if you are thinking about buying this bike, pull out your wallet and stop hesitating.

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
i am sure that jenson usa is building and re-boxing every salsa complete they sell
and i am also sure that my cat is poisoning me while i sleep

Salsa Cycles said:

Jason

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Salsa Cycles said:
Good points. Check with your local dealer if you have one and you probably do because probably 99% of dealers can order from QBP, which Salsa is a part of. I checked with one of mine and they're selling the El Mariachi complete bike assembled and tuned for less than Jenson is. :D

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Incredible deal. I built this frame up nice with all the gears for somewhere around 2500 and I get a great deal on stuff through my race team/ LBS. 1500 for the bike nicely equipped like that is excellent.
Additionally, I for one applaud your efforts to support the independent bicycle dealer. Even if it still possible to get through the online super-dealers, the attempts to support the "locals" are welcomed.
Mike

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
Jason, this is definitely a bummer as many are more confident in their own wrenching skills than some of the rush jobs that can come from a shop (obviously this is not all shops, just some).
Just remember, we are a mere fraction of 1% of the cycling public here on this board. Many of you may have great skills, but the majority do not. I, for one, have seen the devestation and destruction from "mechanic dad" putting bikes together at home. Mayhem, and lots of stripped out bolts. As a disclaimer, I work for a Salsa dealer, but I think it is a VERY good idea for them to have a policy as they do.

P.S. I also think that it helps Salsa keep the homegrown image by giving LBSs a fighting chance against mail-order.

Also, for anyone interested in this bike, I would advise against buying it from Jenson. If your LBS runs the same margins and markup they would use for bikes from Specialized, Trek, etc., they should be able to sell you this bike for $1500.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.