Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what you guys are using, I have the clear plastic on mine but I think Im going to need more. Looking for a neat tight fit.
Thanks,

·
rth009
950 Posts
I use the salsa leather chainstay protectors on my El Mar Ti, orange vaya, and Muk 2. As long as you apply it carefully, you can get it to conform to the chainstay curves pretty well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow I have never seen that one. I rap our bikes CS with Slime tube liners I start at the BB and work my way back. I have used Handlebar tape also but it dosen't as well with chain jam but the Slime tube liner wouldn't be much better, I have to go looking for this leather.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my lbs said the leather Salsa one was a PITA, I looked at inner tubes and other various types, but with the dera cable running under the chainstay its really tight under there, and I dont want any cable rubbing....

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
Most of my bikes have framewrap from... framewrap.com and a couple of the lizardskins stuff on others.

You can probably get it cheaper elsewhere by buying 3M rubber mastic tape which is essentially the same thing and you can get it from your local home depot.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,611 Posts
Run it as a SS and you won't need a chainstay protector.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the leather Salsa protector on both my El Mar Ti and my Vaya and it works great, stays on, and is super easy to stick on the chainstay. Can't see either how it can be a PITA....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the leather Salsa protector on both my El Mar Ti and my Vaya and it works great, stays on, and is super easy to stick on the chainstay. Can't see either how it can be a PITA....
Thanks JC, I mite give on a try, I like the look of it, have any pix of yours?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TY, I see how it goes now, I thought it would've been bigger, I have the clear one from the dealer and the Salsa is no bigger, I may try a Lizard...TY

·
Kaishingo
248 Posts
My wife's Casseroll was getting the snot beat out of it near the dropout (she keeps riding in the small/small combo). It had one of those lizard-skins adhesive protector (similar to the salsa leather above); this was not long enough to come close to protecting all the parts of the chainstay that take a beating.

I purchased some Lamin-X in the form of a auto-door-sill guard. Cut to shape, and so far, so good. We'll see how it lasts in the long run, but I've used similar stuff to prevent cable housing rub with good results. I figure if it can protect auto-headlights from all the crap on the road, it can protect a little chainslap. Plus, since it's clear, the beautiful Salsa finish can shine through!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife's Casseroll was getting the snot beat out of it near the dropout (she keeps riding in the small/small combo). It had one of those lizard-skins adhesive protector (similar to the salsa leather above); this was not long enough to come close to protecting all the parts of the chainstay that take a beating.

I purchased some Lamin-X in the form of a auto-door-sill guard. Cut to shape, and so far, so good. We'll see how it lasts in the long run, but I've used similar stuff to prevent cable housing rub with good results. I figure if it can protect auto-headlights from all the crap on the road, it can protect a little chainslap. Plus, since it's clear, the beautiful Salsa finish can shine through!
I like this.....I have the small one on there, but like to go bigger.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just installed mine, not sure how I like it. The way it is wide on the front end and narrows down on the rear end makes it look crooked once installed in the El Mar's curves. You have to put the rear end to the inside of the chain stay for max protection from where the chain would likely hit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts