Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 5.5 Spot (2007 model) with RP23 and Fox 36 Talas for about a year.

I am looking for a new frame that will climb the same but will be more burlier and confidence in the descents.

I thought about the Chumba XCL but it almost the same as the Spot.

I found a great deal for the EL Guepo.I know that the EG will be much more aggresive in the descents but i dont know how the EG will handle in technical and fire road Vs the Spot.

My riding style is aggresive XC rides and once a week epic ride for 20 miles.(i want only one bike!)

My questions are : what is the frame weight with RP23 (medium size , 2008)?
How much will i suffer in 4 hours xc rides with ups and downs while ridng the EG Vs the Spot with the same parts?

thx

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
i am not sure how much the frame weighs (between 7 and 7.5 lbs as a guess)... i have a medium EG that is built for XC and it weighs in at 30.8 lbs...

you will love this bike for tecky climbs and it's not too bad on the fire roads... if you already are running the 36 talas, i cannot imagine your suffering or weight could increase too much at all...

i ride mine on mostly rolling terrain with lots of short technical climbs (i still can't believe this bike climbs as well as it does) and twisty single track... i have the 36 float and my bike feels perfectly balanced to me (i have a DHX air on the rear)... it has a low bb which really makes for some great handling, too - especially at speed over bumpy stuff... the frame is also as solid as a rock (in a good way)

bottomline is that i think you'll like the EG...

oh, yeah and this bike really shines off the ground... and when landing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dog said:
i am not sure how much the frame weighs (between 7 and 7.5 lbs as a guess)... i have a medium EG that is built for XC and it weighs in at 30.8 lbs...

you will love this bike for tecky climbs and it's not too bad on the fire roads... if you already are running the 36 talas, i cannot imagine your suffering or weight could increase too much at all...

i ride mine on mostly rolling terrain with lots of short technical climbs (i still can't believe this bike climbs as well as it does) and twisty single track... i have the 36 float and my bike feels perfectly balanced to me (i have a DHX air on the rear)... it has a low bb which really makes for some great handling, too - especially at speed over bumpy stuff... the frame is also as solid as a rock (in a good way)

bottomline is that i think you'll like the EG...

oh, yeah and this bike really shines off the ground... and when landing
Thx for your detailed reply,

What bike did you ride before?and how do you compare between them in epic rides?

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I've never owned a Spot, but I did have an RFX, if you're looking for that "one," bike then this is it, the El Guapo climbs very well, not just well for a FR/AM bike but in general this bike climbs well, and like Dog said it really shines on the techy climbs thanks to it's sure handling characteristics. This bike jumps very well and is very responsive to your input when taking drops or hitting a double, in short...... maneuverable. at speed mine is very solid, the bottom bracket height really helps with this, my head angle is more slack than most due to a 180mm fork as well, the cornering is also solid for the same reason......lower bottom bracket than most similar application bikes. For your intended use this bike will last forever, these bikes ared solid, and pretty hot looking if I don't say so. Mine is on the heavier side at 38 lbs, but it'll handle, and has handled whatever I dare to throw at it, I've done ten feet and it felt like buttah, but the tranny was really good on that drop too. I hope I've helped in some way, this mini review is a terrible example of poor organization, grammar, and punctuation......the only people that get good writing are my professors :D

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
spr said:
Thx for your detailed reply,

What bike did you ride before?and how do you compare between them in epic rides?
the bike i rode before the EG was an ML...

i didn't really notice any difference on really long rides... now if i had been riding with myself and one of me was on my ML and the other me was on the EG, i think the ML me might have finished ahead of the EG me, but the EG me would have have had more fun:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
dog said:
the bike i rode before the EG was an ML...

i didn't really notice any difference on really long rides... now if i had been riding with myself and one of me was on my ML and the other me was on the EG, i think the ML me might have finished ahead of the EG me, but the EG me would have have had more fun:D
Apologies in advance for the semi hijack. I'm on a ML now, and have been considering a bike to help me descend better. The thing is I love to climb, and I really don't do much air. I log hop and do some smaller jumps (think easy stuff at Soquel for your NorCal folks). What I want is an improvement on the fast, rolling, downhill sections. I'm starting to get more comfortable working the bike into small drops and small jumps (for me this is maxing out at both wheels off the ground no more that 3ft). So for a an aggressive rider who likes the long climbs, as well as short technical climbs, but is looking for some help on the downs and technical downs....is the EG overkill? Or if it has a XC'sh build would it I like it more than my ML?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,728 Posts
ebeer said:
Apologies in advance for the semi hijack. I'm on a ML now, and have been considering a bike to help me descend better. The thing is I love to climb, and I really don't do much air. I log hop and do some smaller jumps (think easy stuff at Soquel for your NorCal folks). What I want is an improvement on the fast, rolling, downhill sections. I'm starting to get more comfortable working the bike into small drops and small jumps (for me this is maxing out at both wheels off the ground no more that 3ft). So for a an aggressive rider who likes the long climbs, as well as short technical climbs, but is looking for some help on the downs and technical downs....is the EG overkill? Or if it has a XC'sh build would it I like it more than my ML?
I'm local, I have an ML and an EG (both small). My EG weighs about 33lbs (Lyrik solo Air, Spesh Command Post, etc.) with 2.3 Spesh tires. Anyhow, if you got skills, the ML can handle everything at SDF, but if you're like me, then the EG really helps in the techy bits. I've finally got my wheels 2-3' off the ground but only after riding the EG. To me, the bike really shines on trails like Braille. It's more stable on and off the ground, more confidence inspiring and just simply more fun. That being said, if you tack on 4 to 6# to your current ride, you'll feel it, especially on the last climb out. If you're in shape, it should not be a big deal though as the bike pedals really well for its weight. Now, if you're going on a 5000', 25 miles epic ride, I'd stick to the ML unless you're a total stud. :)

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
ebeer said:
....is the EG overkill? Or if it has a XC'sh build would it I like it more than my ML?
i was pleasantly suprise to discover it is not overkill...

it's hard to say if you would like it more... they are pretty different... my stupid analogy is that the ML is like an eagle the EG is like a bear...

you will notice the weight, but the EG just climbs and pedals so well... if it's a technical climb, i can get my EG to claw its way up stuff that i can't do with my ML... is there any way you could try one out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.