Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm sitting around waiting for a critical email from a client in Switzerland. Bored, I decided to do something useful - I created a spreadsheet comparing the geometries of the '06 SuMo, Motolite and El Guapo. Yeah, I'm THAT bored :yawn:

Standover for a large EG is 1.1" higher than the large Supermoto. Don't like that on a freeride oriented bike!

Bottom bracket is .8" lower. Not great either.

Chain stay is .51" longer. Hmmm...

Food for thought...

No one knows 'till they ride one...
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Standover for a large EG is 1.1" higher than the large Supermoto. Don't like that on a freeride oriented bike!
Hmmmm.... well, not FR as in SuMo FR... More like AM... A Frame with 6.8lbs is not FR by any means.

Rollin'in'Zona said:
Bottom bracket is .8" lower. Not great either.
Related to last point.
More stability at speed at the cost of ground clearance. Anyway, who's to use a triple ring arrangement on the EG?

Rollin'in'Zona said:
Chain stay is .51" longer. Hmmm...

Food for thought...

No one knows 'till they ride one...
We'll see... the ML looks all wrong on paper... so do Turners and even the Nomad. They all ride beautiful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All Mountain said:
Go buy one. The bike will walk the walk. It's a Titus.
Yeah, I've owned two Titus, and will definitley own a third - either EG or Motolite. We'lI see which one. I absolutely LOVE my Supermoto. I was just bored and chained to the computer, so I fabricated something to write about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Warp said:
Hmmmm.... well, not FR as in SuMo FR... More like AM... A Frame with 6.8lbs is not FR by any means.

Related to last point.
More stability at speed at the cost of ground clearance. Anyway, who's to use a triple ring arrangement on the EG?

We'll see... the ML looks all wrong on paper... so do Turners and even the Nomad. They all ride beautiful.
Yeah, you're right Warp. I guess the EG IS more like a long legged Motolite than a light SuMo. Coming from the big-bike-as-only-bike perspective I took the ad rhetoric and photo (Titus catalogue) of the bike well aloft as implying freeride intent - ala Nomad. But it is a different bike.

Believe me, I'm one of the most likely buyers of the EG - of those who have not yet put a deposit down that is! I WILL be building another bike this spring - and it will be either an EG or Motolite.

The "extra" standover has been bugging me "in theory". Indeed, if it were not for the standover height, I would have put money down on one last week, sight unseen! I'm just so used to the low standover of the SuMo, and as of late, the Nomad (many friends own them, I demo'd one for a week). As it is, though, I'll have to ride an EG to believe the standover will not be too much of an issue - which, as a "trail" bike rather than light FR, it should not be. I hope it is as excellent as we all hope!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Yeah, I've owned two Titus, and will definitley own a third - either EG or Motolite. We'lI see which one. I absolutely LOVE my Supermoto. I was just bored and chained to the computer, so I fabricated something to write about...
I like the El Guapo geometry. It will rock. Standover is an issue for me because I am short, but I wouldn't want a frame design compromised to try to get more standover. It looks like it has more than the prototype, which shows they were thinking about standover.

Maneuverability whilst riding is more important than static standover, and I think Titus has achieved this.

It is an interesting decision faced on what to buy, Motolite or El Guapo. Weight really isn't an issue as the differential is less than a pound. I believe it comes down to fork choice, which is a reflection of how and what you ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
....and as of late, the Nomad (many friends own them, I demo'd one for a week) As it is, though, I'll have to ride an EG to believe the standover will not be too much of an issue. I hope it is as excellent as we all hope!
Standover.... but I don't like the upwards arch on the Nomad. It worries me:eekster: :eekster: :eekster: .
Nomad is one classy bike:thumbsup: . Tell us how the demo went with the Nomad ?~?
Also consider the Nomad has 67 HA with 545mm fork. EG has 68 HA with 550mm fork. I like my bikes slack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All Mountain said:
Standover.... but I don't like the upwards arch on the Nomad. It worries me:eekster: :eekster: :eekster: .
Nomad is one classy bike:thumbsup: . Tell us how the demo went with the Nomad ?~?
Also consider the Nomad has 67 HA with 545mm fork. EG has 68 HA with 550mm fork. I like my bikes slack.
I like my bikes slack also.

The geometry of the Nomad w/ Van 36 is excelent. I was impressed. BUT, I don't like the way it pedals uphill, sag must be set at 40%, and at over 38lbs it's HEAVY for a 6x6 bike! (Flame suit on) I loved it, but found a better way:

I used the Nomad geometry as a guide to putting together a great SuMo. I was able to put an '06 66SL on a large '06 SuMo, with the 7" coffin link and Swinger 4-way w/ Ti spring. Every aspect of the geometry is as close to exactly the same as the Nomad as you would want, it weighs 2 lbs less even w/ beefier rims (more than 3lbs less w/ the same wheels!), has more travel, and pedals better (in my opinion). I'd like to try an Evolver ISX 6-way shock on it, to bring it down to 35lbs, 7x7, with meaty tires (2.35 Neve 2-ply / 2.5 Minion UST)! Score!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
All Mountain said:
I like the El Guapo geometry. It will rock. Standover is an issue for me because I am short, but I wouldn't want a frame design compromised to try to get more standover. It looks like it has more than the prototype, which shows they were thinking about standover.

Maneuverability whilst riding is more important than static standover, and I think Titus has achieved this.

It is an interesting decision faced on what to buy, Motolite or El Guapo. Weight really isn't an issue as the differential is less than a pound. I believe it comes down to fork choice, which is a reflection of how and what you ride.
Yeah, the numbers look perfect, don't they!

I'd run an '07 AM1SL, so I could have a slacker HA than w/ the Fox. And you're right - maneuverability is more important than static standover. This is why I love these forums - diferent perspectives help one re-gain clarity...

Man, I can't wait to get on one. It really would be a more apropriate bike than the Motolite for me & the local riding I tend to choose. I mean, I've been using a 7x7 Supermoto as my trail bike for a long time... I did a spin-heavy 20 miler on it the other day...

Hey, if the EG works, I could put a 888 or 40 on the SuMo :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
I like my bikes slack also.

....

I used the Nomad geometry as a guide to putting together a great SuMo. I was able to put a 66SL on a large '06 SuMo, with the 7" coffin link and Swinger 4-way w/ Ti spring. Every aspect of the geometry is as close to exactly the same as the Nomad as you would want, it weighs 2 lbs less, has more travel, and pedals better (in my opinion). I'd like to try an Evolver ISX 6-way shock on it, to bring it down to 35lbs, 7x7, with meaty tires! Score!
Droppin' like hot butta off toast :cool: :thumbsup: :cool: !~! Evolver has caught my eye. What's the oil on it ?~?

I like my motolite around 67.8 HA and 70.3 SA (basically around 68 HA & 70.5 SA is very maneuverable).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
....

I'd run an '07 AM1SL, so I could have a slacker HA than w/ the Fox. And you're right - maneuverability is more important than static standover.
For the EG I'd put on an '07 66 SL1 ATA to get it below 68 HA. Take the weight and suck it up.

Rollin'in'Zona said:
Man, I can't wait to get on one. It really would be a more apropriate bike than the Motolite for me / the local riding I tend to choose. I mean, I've been using a 7x7 Supermoto as my trail bike for a long time... Did a spin-heavy 20 miler on it the other day...

Hey, if the EG works, I could put a 888 or 40 on the SuMo :rolleyes:
Darn straight. Send the SuMo my way. All take good care of it :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :ihih: :yesnod: :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All Mountain said:
For the EG I'd put on an '07 66 SL1 ATA to get it below 68 HA. Take the weight and suck it up.

Darn straight. Send the SuMo my way. All take good care of it :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :ihih: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Hmmm, I do own an '06 66SL :rolleyes:
 

·
Trophy Husband
Joined
·
3,011 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Man, I can't wait to get on one. It really would be a more apropriate bike than the Motolite for me & the local riding I tend to choose. I mean, I've been using a 7x7 Supermoto as my trail bike for a long time... I did a spin-heavy 20 miler on it the other day...

Hey, if the EG works, I could put a 888 or 40 on the SuMo :rolleyes:
RNZ

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down! I'm flippy-floppy between the Guap and the Moto-lite myself (and a few non-Titus 5-6 inch bikes). I tend to ride more aggressive terrain, even on my trail rides. The extra travel and slacker angles don't seem to bother me during climbs and longer rides. I'm anxiously awaiting a larger pool of reviews after the Guapo is released.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
geolover said:
RNZ

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down! I'm flippy-floppy between the Guap and the Moto-lite myself (and a few non-Titus 5-6 inch bikes). I tend to ride more aggressive terrain, even on my trail rides. The extra travel and slacker angles don't seem to bother me during climbs and longer rides. I'm anxiously awaiting a larger pool of reviews after the Guapo is released.
sack up....... and get a Ti RX. Use your skills get you thru the nasty stuff.;)
 

·
Trophy Husband
Joined
·
3,011 Posts
demo_slug said:
sack up....... and get a Ti RX. Use your skills get you thru the nasty stuff.;)
Skill? What skill? Hence the need for more travel...don't forget that I'm extremely lazy. Extra travel allows me to point and forget about obstacles. There are far more important things to worry about when riding down the trail...like what beer I'm going to drink after the ride or how many tacos will I eat after 3 of those beers or better yet, how many beers will it take to coerce my wife for a "roll-in-the-hay" that evening. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All Mountain said:
Evolver has caught my eye. What's the oil on it ?~?
Well, I've not used an Evolver yet, but from those who have, it sounds like Manitou finally came up with an air shock that works well for bigger bikes. The Nomad guys seem to run the "extra" adjustables of the ISX 6 at full open, so it seems the ISX 4 might be a more economical choice for VPP??? I don't know if horst link bikes would benefit more from the fine tuning options. Any ideas?

Hopefully somone will use it on a horst link bike and fill us in!

Personally, I think Titus would be foolish to NOT make the coffin link with this shock standard on the Supermoto. Why not get full travel on the big hit machine - especially with the El Guapo coming in at 6x6? I feel strongly that the DHX-A and 36 package that Titus markets is NOT the optimal set up for the SuMo. 66SL or Totem, and the Evolver shock (if it proves itself), THAT'S the SuMo build to market!
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
geolover said:
RNZ I tend to ride more aggressive terrain, even on my trail rides. The extra travel and slacker angles don't seem to bother me during climbs and longer rides. I'm anxiously awaiting a larger pool of reviews after the Guapo is released.
Geo, I've got the perfect bike for your terrain.....the giant reign. :thumbsup: :p

In all seriousness, I took my reign up to Galby on Sunday and hit everything on it with no complaints....everything. I figure if the El Guapo is as capable without falling apart, it would be a good Galby bike. Otherwise, I'd keep the SuMO if I were you and just look at the ML or RX for more traditional xc riding (Anacortes, Blanchard, larrabee, Chuckanut, etc.).

Cheers,
EBX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
geolover said:
Skill? What skill? Hence the need for more travel...don't forget that I'm extremely lazy. Extra travel allows me to point and forget about obstacles. There are far more important things to worry about when riding down the trail...like what beer I'm going to drink after the ride or how many tacos will I eat after 3 of those beers or better yet, how many beers will it take to coerce my wife for a "roll-in-the-hay" that evening. :D
geo, I like those vibes:D ... Point and Shoot (and fly) !~!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,207 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Well, I've not used an Evolver yet, but from those who have, it sounds like Manitou finally came up with an air shock that works well for bigger bikes. The Nomad guys seem to run the "extra" adjustables of the ISX 6 at full open, so it seems the ISX 4 might be a more economical choice for VPP??? I don't know if horst link bikes would benefit more from the fine tuning options. Any ideas?
Definitely get the ISX 6 with Intrinsic damping:thumbsup: . Well worth it, the 4 is only SPV:eek: .

Rollin'in'Zona said:
... I feel strongly that the DHX-A and 36 package is NOT the optimal set up for the SuMo. 66SL or Totem, and the Evolver shock (if it proves itself), THAT'S the SuMo build to market!
I wouldn't put a 36 on a SuMo. Totem or 66 :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top